2006 World Cup

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
Didnt Germany ban you hooligans?

Not yet! But I am thinking that I might be banned after the final.

I have a question for you though!

I am thinking to take and wear my Pat Tillman Jersey to the world cup. Does anyone think it will get noticed?

I cannot wait...

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Also, if you want a real English pub feel, the George and Dragan offers just that. Pretty sure that the owner or guy behind the bar is a Geordie too!

Fishfan79

Reaction score
I think with our goalie being as good as it seems to be, we will get out of the first round.

I think we can take the Czechs, but my worry if the Italians.

We need to sweep the 3 game set, because if we have to face brazil, it is show over.

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Fishfan79 said:
I think with our goalie being as good as it seems to be, we will get out of the first round.

I think we can take the Czechs, but my worry if the Italians.

We need to sweep the 3 game set, because if we have to face brazil, it is show over.

Fishfan79, those Czechs are a good team this year. I think that we lost in a friendly to them too. I think that they will be the biggest jump for us. Or maybe just the first....

EnglishonTour - NOT A CHANCE....I called and I am still okay to fly....

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
Dude, I don't know about Phoenix, but I just bought my tickets to go to Germany and watch it there on a big screen that floats on the river...

It is going to be so freakin' fun...

God I love EasyJet. It only cost me 38 pounds to get there!!!

:D

See you in Frankfurt, SouthNZoneFan. :thumbup:

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yuma said:
Let me know when the USA has won the cup! :thumbup:

There are a lot of great national teams who have never won the Cup. Holland instantly springs to mind.

I just want to see the US be a threat in every game.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Zeno said:
There are a lot of great national teams who have never won the Cup. Holland instantly springs to mind.
Spain has also never won the cup, while Uruguay has won it twice. :D

It also bodes well for Germany that 6 host nations have won the tournament (Uruguay, Italy, England, W. Germany, Argentina and France).

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
Until Brazil at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and S Korea, no team had ever won a World Cup when it was not playing on its own continent (with America counting as one). That no Asian team won it that year was not that huge of a surprise.

However, it was certainly a surprise for many that Japan as well as SKorea won their groups. Japan then lost in the round of the last 16 in a close one to Turkey, and SKorea later lost a close semifinal against Germany and finished fourth.

So I guess we will see a European team from the Continent winning the Trophy. As much as its hurts me, that will leave England suffering again...:biglaugh:
Edit: Would have been too good to be true...

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Nate said:
Until Brazil at the 2002 World Cup in Japan and S Korea, no team had ever won a World Cup when it was not playing on its own continent (with America counting as one).
Brazil won in Sweden in 1958.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Renz, I see you are a Barca fan. I'll be in Barcelona the middle of next month and will be going to the FC Barcelona Museum (took some persuading of my wife--but I won out in the end). I hope they have the Champions League trophy on display so I can get a good picture of it. We have 3 days in Barcelona and a 12 night cruise--I plan to get an authentic soccer jersey in every stop that has a local team (Barcelona, Marseilles, Florence, Naples, Rome, Athens).

As for the WC I am hoping that the US plays the best soccer they've played all year. One thing I can say about the team is they seem to genuinely get along with each other and chemistry is often very important...although it doesn't outweigh talent. I can't wait to see what lineup Arena rolls out in that first game.

Other than success for the US my only other hope is that Mexico doesn't make it out of the group phase...go Iran & Portugal. I can't stand our rivals to the south.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Zeno said:
Renz, I see you are a Barca fan. I'll be in Barcelona the middle of next month and will be going to the FC Barcelona Museum (took some persuading of my wife--but I won out in the end). I hope they have the Champions League trophy on display so I can get a good picture of it. We have 3 days in Barcelona and a 12 night cruise--I plan to get an authentic soccer jersey in every stop that has a local team (Barcelona, Marseilles, Florence, Naples, Rome, Athens).
Man, I'm envious! I am vowing to see a match at Camp Nou someday (as well as the SoL). I'm sure they will have the CL trophy on display. Be sure to post your pics. :)

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
cant wait for it - 4 days to go!

i am in Ibiza (on a stag do!) when England play their first game! - should be fun!

I have had a side bet on France and Holland and will sorting out our office sweepstake this afternoon!

COME ON ENGLAND :cheers:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My final 4 looks like this

Iran (stuns Germany) loses to Italy 2-0.
England beats USA (yes I am a homer I have us beating Brazil 1st round) 3-1
USA beats Iran for 3rd 3-1
England beats Italy 3-0 for the cup.

Now replace USA with Brazil and you have the more probable outcome. :)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
swd1974 said:
My final 4 looks like this

Iran (stuns Germany) loses to Italy 2-0.
England beats USA (yes I am a homer I have us beating Brazil 1st round) 3-1
USA beats Iran for 3rd 3-1
England beats Italy 3-0 for the cup.

Now replace USA with Brazil and you have the more probable outcome. :)

My final 4 looks like this, with some upsets as well:

Argentina v Switzerland (look out for the Swiss...they are for real and helped knock out my boys the Irish)
England v USA (like Swd said, this is probably wishful thinking, so Brazil is more likely...but imagine my smile when drawing up this board I found us facing off against and beating France!)

The Final: Argentina v U.S., with Argentina winning. I had to be more realistic here. Beating Brazil AND beating England might just be going to far, and beating Argentina too would be too much homerism. Still, you never know.

Djaughe

Reaction score
Stout said:
...Beating Brazil AND beating England might just be going to far, and beating Argentina too would be too much homerism. Still, you never know.

Since we are all being homers with our predictions :D :

My prediction (with little knowlwedge of the teams):

QF1: Germany vs. England
QF2: Brazil vs. Italy
QF3: Iran vs. Argentina
QF4: France vs. Spain

Final Four: Brazil Vs. England and Argentina Vs. Spain

Finals: England Vs. Argentina

Winner: Argentina :)

Stout

Reaction score
What's the deal, Djaughe...not a U.S. supporter? I see the flag up there, but I figured you're all about the U.S. squad too, especially when I read homer in your post.

Not getting on you case, just bustin' your chops. I mean, like, come on...Maradona (sp?) got fat, addicted, and had his stomach stapled...Argentina has no chance now ;)

Djaughe

Reaction score
Stout said:
What's the deal, Djaughe...not a U.S. supporter? I see the flag up there, but I figured you're all about the U.S. squad too, especially when I read homer in your post.

Not getting on you case, just bustin' your chops. I mean, like, come on...Maradona (sp?) got fat, addicted, and had his stomach stapled...Argentina has no chance now ;)

My mom's side of the family is from Argentina and have been getting on my case to root for their team fer quite some time. In the past I told them nah - I got to root for the U.S.A....

They then began to send me "goodies" for this years world cup to bribe me onto their bandwagon...so I figured what the hey - gotta keep the peace if I ever go visit them. :)

Stout

Reaction score
Djaughe said:
My mom's side of the family is from Argentina and have been getting on my case to root for their team fer quite some time. In the past I told them nah - I got to root for the U.S.A....

They then began to send me "goodies" for this years world cup to bribe me onto their bandwagon...so I figured what the hey - gotta keep the peace if I ever go visit them. :)

At least you can root for the U.S. unless they play Argentina...then I just may have to drag you out and shoot you for an own goa...er, for rooting for another team...we take this stuff seriously :p

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
Nate said:
See you in Frankfurt, SouthNZoneFan. :thumbup:

We should meet up for a drink! I think I am going to wear my Tillman Jersey every day as I get a pint....

Do you know any bars/pubs that I HAVE to go to there?

CardEd

Registered
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
We should meet up for a drink! I think I am going to wear my Tillman Jersey every day as I get a pint....

Do you know any bars/pubs that I HAVE to go to there?

That make three of us. I'll be arriving in Frankfurt on the 9th. Staying till the 14th. I might make a side trip to Gelsenkirchen on the 12th. Depends on time and budget. From what I read Fanfest in Frankfurt at the MAIN is where the party is going to be at in Frankfurt.

I'll be looking for the Tillman jersey.

http://www.wm2006.frankfurt.de/main.php?bereich=veranstaltungen&content_id=50&event_id=460

Last edited: