2005 Outlook

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:
I think he's talking about Rob Johnson. I hope not, because he is one of the worst qb's in the league. Possibly ever.

I misunderstood.I thought he was talking about who we should take at #8. But i agree about with you about Rob.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Heucrazy said:
Yes but BJ does possess the speed that is needed to strecth the field. Defenses were just ignoring him, because they knew that with any pressure on Josh, he would just throw to Fitz or Boldin no matter how many DBs were draped all over them. Or Josh would throw to the check down and it would be a short gain anyway. I can't even begin to count the number of plays where you could see BJ had completely burned his guy and Josh didn't even look his way.
Yeah.....didn't look BJs way because he (Josh) was flat on his back. BJ was almost always the 3rd to 4th option so he was ignored like you said by the defense. I think the verdict is still out on his speed and ability to stretch the field but he has shown that he can make tough catches. I would still rather find a true speed guy. Looker might become available and would be a good 4th guy if he still has his speed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Croom, like Damien Anderson, John Navarre, and Calvin Pace before him, is just another example of Preston Parsons syndrome where undeserved praise is heaped on sub-par players due to preseason success.

:thumbup:

Hey, remember when Calvin Pace was going to be the second coming of Simeon Rice? Remember when everyone was all twitterpated because he gave Kenny King a push on a stunt at a rookie-camp practice? [fastforward12months] Remember when Calvin Pace was an Arizona Cardinal?[/fastforward12months]

Let us never forget how sad and desperate we were during the Dave McGinnis Era.

spanky1

Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:thumbup:

Hey, remember when Calvin Pace was going to be the second coming of Simeon Rice? Remember when everyone was all twitterpated because he gave Kenny King a push on a stunt at a rookie-camp practice? [fastforward12months] Remember when Calvin Pace was an Arizona Cardinal?[/fastforward12months]

Let us never forget how sad and desperate we were during the Dave McGinnis Era.

k9,

It is too early too give up on Calvin Pace.......just remember Adrian Wilson.And I do not think anyone suggested that he was the second coming of Simeon Rice.

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Defensive Outlook

Defensive Linemen:

RE Bertrand Berry and UT Darnell Dockett are the mainstays of a much improved defensive line. Berry's leadership on and off the field is dynamic, and his Pro Bowl caliber performance has given teammates a greater incentive to achieve. Dockett is highly disruptive, competitive and athletic. He seems perfectly fitted for the under tackle position...thus it would be foolish to try him anywhere else. LE Peppi Zellner will likely be re-signed. While he wasn't a consistent pass rushing threat, he played the run and passing lanes tenaciously.

Backup DE Calvin Pace will add muscle this off-season and continue to improve. Last year's 5th round pick, DE Antonio Smith has good upper body strength and now needs to compliment that with a quicker first step and burst in the pass rush. DE Kyle Vanden Bosh played very competitively off the bench and appears to be regaining his overall strength.

DT Russell Davis turned in his best season as a pro and was perhaps the most improved player on the roster. If Denny Green acquires DT Chris Hovan, which is likely, Hovan and Davis will battle it out at NT and probably split time. DT Ross Kolodziej should not be counted out because of his exemplary hustle and work ethic as a role player. DT Wendell Bryant's future with the team looks doubtful, especially if the Cardinals add Hovan and draft another defensive lineman.

DE/DT Kenny King will return from the IR and most likely will make a significant contribution this year. Like Dockett, King is sneaky strong and has the quickness and smarts to wreak havoc in the backfield.

Linebackers:

James Darling has become the darling of the defense. Not only does darling swarm to the ball, he's developed into an excellent finisher. He will start once again opposite the fastest rising star on the defense, LB Karlos Dansby...who may well be the most versatile athlete on the team. Dansby arrives at the ball quickly and has a superb upside as an edge pass rusher. His game is swift and relentless...and will get even more dynamic when he develops improved weightroom strength.

MLB Ronald McKinnon has played his heart out in Arizona since arriving as an undrafted free agent. His physical skills may be diminishing a tad, but his love for the game and his enthusiasm are still first-rate. However, promising young MLB Gerald Hayes will likely be the starter this year, thus ending Mac's 9 year run, partolling the middle. Hayes fits the MLB pro-type very well...he's got Jeremiah Trotter-like size and instincts...and loves to make jarring tackles. He needs to adapt to his coverage responsibilities and fine tune the mental aspects of the position during the off-season.

LB Raynoch Thompson hasn't been right since his drug suspension and will likely be traded or released. Denny Green has already showed impatience with him, so it's very unlikley that Thompson can change the coach's mind at this point....which is regrettable because Thompson, although a little slight of frame, has major league quickness and htting ability...and he's pretty solid in coverage.

LB Levar Woods has been a mainstay on special teams and the coaches love his effort, so it's likely he'll stick. But, Woods has not been as productive on special teams and in his cameo starts as one would have hoped. Woods has very good ability...can he develop as a gamer?

OP
OP
W

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Look for the Cardinals to add two new linebackers for depth this off-season, one free agent and one draftee. It would be a luxury to keep Thompson because he could start to thrive in this aggressive defense, but his salary is an issue at this point.

Defensive backs:

SS Adrian Wilson turned in a superb season and is being used perfectly by Clancy Pendergast. He's a highlight film hitter, who plays his best inside the box, where he can wreak havoc as a blitzer. RCB David Macklin led the team in interceptions with 4 and may have pulled in countless others as he has a knack for getting his hands on the football. He was a major upgrade at RCB.

LCB Renaldo Hill turned in another good, solid season and deserves to be re-signed to a three year deal. He's super smart...and despite his average speed, does't get beat deep very often. And he's particularly adept at anticipating routes and jumping them. He will either remain the starter at LCB or be the team's nickel back. LCB Duane Starks made strides in his comeback this year...but was somewhat incosnsitent. The team needs to make a decision about his future...and right now the odds are probably 50/50 whether he will be invited to return. Much may depend on who the Cardinals have their eye on in free agency and the draft. Ideally, the Cardinals would not like to have to select a CB at #8...so paving the way by signing a free agent CB prior to the draft, or deciding to stick with Starks will be the determining factor.

The other DBs may have a tough time sticking. FS Ifeanyi Ohalete battled his way through injuries, but was very inconsistent...and seems to lack the athleticism and feel to be a productive deep patroller...as evidenced by the fact that he did not intercept one pass. Nickel back Robert Tate worked hard but was not a standout on special teams. Backup FS Quentin Harris showed mettle and signs of promise and will likely remain the backup FS. Look for the Cardinals to add a free agent FS...or draft one in the third or fourth rounds.

Special Teams:

Scott Player and Neil Rackers are assets. Player has improved his pooch and angle punts and still can root a deep ball at opportune times. Rackers was just about perfect until the last few weeks. Not only did he show outstanding range and accuracy on his field goals, he led the league in touchbacks. LS Nathan Hodel is like Domino's...he delivers. And, he's surprisingly aggressive in return coverage.

KR Josh Scobey runs hard and aggressively. Injuries prevented him from being as productive as he was in 2003. But, he could be a keeper for now. PR Karl Williams was not much of a threat...and will likely move on. Denny Green will make the PR job very competitive this off-season. Duane Starks actually showed a variety of slippery moves in that role late in the year and if he stays could be a factor as PR next year. But, ideally, the new PR will be a free agent or draftee at WR, perhaps recent signee Luke Howell of Stanford.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
k9,

It is too early too give up on Calvin Pace.......just remember Adrian Wilson.And I do not think anyone suggested that he was the second coming of Simeon Rice.

You could tell that Wilson could play from his very first game in a Cardinal uniform. The only reason he had a sub par season was, as we all know now, the defensive coaching was abysmal.

I haven't seen much from Pace to put his career track on a par with Adrian's.
Calvin is the kind of player teams like New England draft and turn into a Linebacker.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I caught up with Dennis' interview with Gambo (Recap posted on BRS).

His comments on Brad Johnson went something like - "You can't get overly sentimental. All of us who've been around the league awhile know lots of coaches and players..." Just before he said this, he started to question Johnson's arm strength but then backed off and changed the subject.

When Gambo tried to pin him down about FS and CB, Dennis kept it general - saying that, while the defense - which, when it played to its potential was among the best in the NFL - didn't always play that way. He listed Berry, Dockett, Dansby and Wilson as his core defensive players, but indicated a desire to make the unit even faster and to become a little bit bigger and tougher at point of attack.

This statement keeps a lot of options open - He can go to the draft, a trade or free agency. He can add speed at CB or OLB. He can add bulk at LB or NT. He may not do all of those things, but instead make some of those moves as the right opportunities present themselves.

Last edited:

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
You could tell that Wilson could play from his very first game in a Cardinal uniform. The only reason he had a sub par season was, as we all know now, the defensive coaching was abysmal.
I haven't seen much from Pace to put his career track on a par with Adrian's.
Calvin is the kind of player teams like New England draft and turn into a Linebacker.

I totally disagree here. '

Although Wilson did show the physical tools from day 1. The biggest problem he had was lack of discipline and trying to make highlight film plays every play, and not being a good team player, out of position too many times, etc.
I don't think that was "just" coaching.
I think a lot of it was just experience and the "light" finally coming on.

Ask Skkorp, if you remember, at one time he was ready to trash can him. (And he was not the only one).

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Tangodnzr said:
I totally disagree here. '

Although Wilson did show the physical tools from day 1. The biggest problem he had was lack of discipline and trying to make highlight film plays every play, and not being a good team player, out of position too many times, etc.
I don't think that was "just" coaching.
I think a lot of it was just experience and the "light" finally coming on.

Ask Skkorp, if you remember, at one time he was ready to trash can him. (And he was not the only one).

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. We still see flashes of bad coverage and a tendency to hit rather than tackle, but his play has improved vastly.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Stout said:
Exactly. Couldn't have said it better myself. We still see flashes of bad coverage and a tendency to hit rather than tackle, but his play has improved vastly.

Well most good NFL players fit into that catagory. And that is exactly my point - he displayed the physical tools from day 1 and made rookie mistakes but he had two interceptions and by his second season had 68 solo tackles, assisted on 42 others, had 4 interceptions and was blowing up running plays at the line of scrimmage. You could tell just by watching Wilson that he had what it takes to be a top NFL player. I haven't seen that from Pace.

As for coaching or "the light going on" that is strictly opinion and cannot be proven either way. Since Wilson went from a so so season in 2003 to Pro Bowl quality play and stats in 2004 after a coaching change and that the Cards D overall ranked out of the 20's for the first time in 10 years, I'll stick with coaching.

And as for people wanting to cut Wilson that was at a time when most of the Kool Aid Krowd did not realize just how bad the coaching was.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Duckjake said:
Well most good NFL players fit into that catagory. And that is exactly my point - he displayed the physical tools from day 1 and made rookie mistakes but he had two interceptions and by his second season had 68 solo tackles, assisted on 42 others, had 4 interceptions and was blowing up running plays at the line of scrimmage. You could tell just by watching Wilson that he had what it takes to be a top NFL player. I haven't seen that from Pace.

As for coaching or "the light going on" that is strictly opinion and cannot be proven either way. Since Wilson went from a so so season in 2003 to Pro Bowl quality play and stats in 2004 after a coaching change and that the Cards D overall ranked out of the 20's for the first time in 10 years, I'll stick with coaching.

And as for people wanting to cut Wilson that was at a time when most of the Kool Aid Krowd did not realize just how bad the coaching was.
As you say....that's an opinion.

I gotta say, that last post was some of the best tap dancing I've seen in a while. :D