2005-06 ASU Hoops

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Two solid wins to start the season. Looking forward to two games against the Big 10 next month.

OP
OP
P

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not much interest here, I guess. One more try.....

Two more wins, now 4-0 Up next - Minnesota.

OP
OP
P

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
4-0 for a team selected DOA by anybody and everybody who had a vote in the pre-season polls.

Margin of victory is plus 16 points.

All the kids can do is play who is put on the schedule.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lesser opponents, but NCAA ball all the same. Guys getting some experience for the tougher games to come (back-to-back ranked opponents coming up).

Great to see steady numbers from Krueger and Kruger, solid play from Atuahene, and an impressive debut for Pendergraph (6'10 frosh). :thumbup:

Go Devils !!

:fans:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope I'm wrong, but I think this team will be lucky to win more than 2 games in the Pac 10. The 4-0 start hasn't changed my mind on that.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
Lesser opponents, but NCAA ball all the same. Guys getting some experience for the tougher games to come (back-to-back ranked opponents coming up).
This is the same rhetoric that comes out of Tempe every year and every year they get embarrassed during Pac-10 season. Playing cupcake schedules rarely helps teams get experience or prepare for tough conference schedules. ASU will likely do better than I originally thought they would in the conference, but it has more to do with the rest of the Pac-10 being underachievers so far than it does ASU being a quality basketball team.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This team would be lucky to get an NIT invite. I just saw the North Texas game....and except for Bryson Kruegers' 27 points....the only other plus I saw was the hustle of Atahene (spelling, sorry).

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
This is the same rhetoric that comes out of Tempe every year and every year they get embarrassed during Pac-10 season. Playing cupcake schedules rarely helps teams get experience or prepare for tough conference schedules. ASU will likely do better than I originally thought they would in the conference, but it has more to do with the rest of the Pac-10 being underachievers so far than it does ASU being a quality basketball team.

As fans/alumni what can we do but cheer for our team regardless of their competition? :shrug:

I wish we played a tougher schedule. We've shown even in recent years that we can play with big teams, but we rarely play them (outside of the conference). :bang:

Go Devils !!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
im amazed this thread had any posts, let alone 9....:p

Whats next? A "How will Kevin Krueger translate to the NBA" thread:rolleyes:

OP
OP
P

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. The 'back-to-back' threw me.

Yeah, UW hoops is solid.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Did anyone other than me watch the game tonight? Absolutely brutal. Not only did it seem like the game was being televised in slow motion due to the complete lack of athleticism, but both teams could not hit free throws or layups to save their lives. Not to worry Sun Devil fans, after watching ASU play tonight there's no way Evans will accomplish enough this year to save his job.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Did anyone other than me watch the game tonight? Absolutely brutal. Not only did it seem like the game was being televised in slow motion due to the complete lack of athleticism, but both teams could not hit free throws or layups to save their lives. Not to worry Sun Devil fans, after watching ASU play tonight there's no way Evans will accomplish enough this year to save his job.

I couldn't watch it, but I listened to most of it. It sounded ugly. :|

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
I couldn't watch it, but I listened to most of it. It sounded ugly. :|
Yep, two poorly coached teams with poor players is the best I could describe it. Minnesota was without their two best players and ASU only has a few guys that can realistically contribute on a D-1 level. Kevin Kruger is a decent player mostly because he's fundamentally sound and smart, but he's also limited on both ends because he is very lacking athletically.

ASU's two newcomers, Antwi Atuahene and Jeff Pendergraph actually look liek they have the skills and athleticism to succeed in the Pac-10 but I think they're being misutilized by Evans and the deliberate pace he wants to play. But I think those two guys should make at least one NCAA Tourament before their time ends as long as better coaching arrives in Tempe. Randy Bennett out of St. Mary's is the most often mentioned replacement for Evans.

OP
OP
P

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tough loss to be sure. Thought this was a team the Devils could handle. Minnesota was without two of its top players..they lost at home to Gardner-Webb just last week. Tried to give the game away too - missed 22 free throws.

Next up...Utah Valey State.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
From an Arizona Republic article: "Bayless, a 6-foot-3 junior point guard who committed before the season to Arizona, heard chants of "A-S-U" from the Desert Vista student section nearly every time he shot a free throw."

We are gaining more and more fans each day:cheers:

OP
OP
P

PHXviaDTW

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to this morning's paper, Angounou is not going to play in today's game against Utah Valley State.

Also note that this game is not being televised....FSN is carrying the Arizona/SMC game.

DevilPrideBAS

Registered
Reaction score
ASU just lost to Utah Valley State in Tempe 75-71...How pathetic can we get? If this loss doesnt send Evans packing, I dont know what will. There is no way we should lose to a team of this caliber. It is going to be a very very very long season....

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Unacceptable.

Our league team would spank ASU. And, that's the truth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard