15 thoughts - Lions game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Congratulation, Fitzgerald, on making the record for most catches on a single team!

The entire first half I was biting my nails because they didn’t target Fitzgerald. I was literally pissed that Leftwich or Rosen didn’t simply make sure they would throw it to him on every single play. Screw the gameplan, screw the advancing-aspect. Just get the ball to #11.

2 – Well, there’s a new low in town, huh? 0 points in the first half, and only three in the entire game is simply unacceptable. I know most of us has said that multiple times over the season, but that is exactly my point; the embarrassments are continuing to build up, and I think they are now at a point where Michael Bidwill simply can’t defend to the fans or to the public to protect Steve Wilks. It doesn’t matter to me whether the issue stems from the players, the coaching staff, the front office or Michael Bidwill himself. Steve Wilks is the head coach, so he is responsible for this. It’s just the way it works.

3 – I wonder if Wilks’ job situation is dependent on the alternatives? Say, for instance, that the Cards has the option to go for John Harbaugh. Does that change it for Michael Bidwill? Or what if they were impressed with some of the young guys (John DeFilippo and Brian Flores) they brought in, before hiring the more experienced Steve Wilks, so that Bidwill is now willing to reconsider? Or does he decide to keep Wilks because he doesn’t believe there are better options out there?

4 – I have heard multiple national reporters and journalist say that the stadium is called “the Farm”. Has any of you ever heard that from anyone local? It’s an honest question, because I simply haven’t read anything about it.

5 – Before this game, when did J. J. Nelson last have a catch? Well, I looked it up. October 19th against the Broncos.

P.S. Between Christian Kirk and Trent Sherfield, I am not that worried about the receiving corps going forward. I thought Sherfield did really well, and also, there is certainly enough other problems to look at.

P.P.S. I think Chad Williams is out before next season. ‘The most important ability is availability’, as they say.

6 – It doesn’t really make sense to mention that the run defense was bad once again, does it?

7 – I liked how they used Patrick Peterson as the punt returner. He was easily the best option, and kick return, special teams and field position is such an underrated factor. I have never understood why, but I guess it’s just the way it is. Luckily, the coaches apparently don’t underrate it.

8 - The last couple of weeks I have been thrilled to see that defense still matters, even though the NFL has done almost everything possible to make it easier on the offenses and harder on the defenses. Yes, you could argue that the offenses in this game was horrible (and you would be right), but that was in part because of the defenses, and besides, look at the Cowboys beating the Saints because of great play on defense, look at the Bears beating the Rams in part because of great play on defense. The Ravens playing the Chiefs very hard because of great play on defense. I much prefer a game like the Cards versus the Lions than some shootout where all that matters is to have the ball on the last drive because the offense score every time they have it. I think they are the most boring games.

9 – Before this season, I initially wanted the Cards to make Matt Patricia their head coach. Now I got to see him go head-to-head with Steve Wilks, and obviously that only reaffirmed the thought, but I also want to highlight that the last four games versus the Panthers, the Bears, the Rams and now the Cardinals, the Lions have fought really hard and played well. I think Patricia is a good head coach.

10 – I heard some boos when punting the ball away on 4th down in the Cards’ own territory in the 4th quarter with the Lions up by 10. Why on earth would you go for it? Why would you trust the offense to get even one yard when they have been putrid for the entire game? The defense where much more effective, so why wouldn’t you think that having them on the field gave you the best chance to win the game?

11 – Benson Mayowa has been a pleasant surprise to me. He played really well again in this game, as he has done in several games this season. I didn’t expect much from him going into the season, but he has been a fine addition to the edge rushing-rotation.

12 – I’m still excited for Josh Rosen next season and going forward. I know I am in the minority to even think about that stuff.

13 – The Cardinals started their 9th different offensive line-combination in this game. Everyone knows that continuity and cohesiveness is the most important thing to any offensive line. Why oh why would you then replace the right tackle from the last game, Will Holden, with Joe Barksdale who they just signed the other day? I guess they decided that, because they have substituted so many times, it didn’t matter if they would change the starting five one more time. Look, Barksdale is probably a better player than Holden, but it’s not by much at this point, and the cohesiveness within the unit makes up for it, so stop screwing with concepts that are well known to be preferable!

14 – The Cardinals played well in Kansas City against the Chiefs, and they played well in Green Bay against the Packers. Both times they have been absolutely disgraceful the next week. How do you even do that? Playing tough at perhaps the two most iconic stadiums, against perhaps the best team and the best quarterback in the NFL, and even winning one of those games are supposed to give you confidence. It is supposed to encourage you and convince you that you can play with any team in this league. So you go out and get destroyed – in different ways, even – the following week? That is the equivalent to self-destruction.

15 – I know a lot of people are now looking at the draft standings (and honestly, I am too), so I thought I would clarify the situation a little the best I can.

The Cards are currently standing at the #2 spot behind the Niners (by the way, only because the Cardinals beat the Niners twice).

Head-to-head matchups does not matter, though, regarding the draft order as the basic idea is to strengthen the worst team in the league, and since the team with the lowest strength of schedule is naturally considered the worst in the NFL, they therefore get the highest pick.

The Cardinals and Niners both have the same record as the Raiders, but those two have a tougher strength of schedule, and because they play the same schedule minus two teams, the schedules cancel each other out other than those two teams. Right now, though, the Niners has played the two teams that are not on the Cardinals’ schedule (the Buccaneers and the Giants), and those two has a combined record of 10-16. The Cards has only played the Redskins that are not on the Niners’ schedule, and the Redskins has a record of 6-7. So, the gist is that right now the Niners has had a tougher strength of schedule (-5) than the Cardinals (+5), and thus the Niners get the #1 overall pick.

If all three teams lose out, the Raiders will probably get the #3 pick since their schedule is much harder (their opponents are a combined +22 right now, and as far as I can calculate, their SOS can’t get worse than the Cards’ and the Niners’, but don’t take my math for too much), while the #1 and #2 pick are solely determined by the Giants and the Buccaneers on the Niners’ side, and the Redskins and the Falcons on the Cards’ side. Right now, the combined records are 10-16 for both combinations. The more games the Redskins and Falcons lose, the easier the Cards’ SOS will become, and thus the bigger their chance of the #1 overall pick, and obviously it is vice versa for the Niners. That’s also why it is sort of a tricky situation next week where a win for the Cards will most likely take them out of the race, while a loss will improve their SOS because it will give the Falcons one more win.

Should the two teams end with the same SOS, which is a real possibility, the next tiebreaker is record within the division, and the Niners will win that tiebreaker easily since they are 0-4 while the Cardinals are 2-2 (again because of two victories over the Niners).

For what it’s worth, each week Football Outsiders projects the draft order using their DVOA-ranking system. According to them the Cards has a 46.6% chance of getting the top pick. The Niners are second with a 34.2% chance, and the Raiders are third with 10.6% chance. ESPN projects the order as well, though they use their own grading system. According to them, the Cardinals has a 57% chance of getting the #1 overall pick, while the Niners has a 32% chance and the Raiders has a 7% chance.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
5. Love Kirk and Sherfield has been a pleasant surprise but we need a true #1 and probably another #2/3 to go with Kirk (but bigger).

5.1 Agree on Chad Williams. Admit to the bust and move on.

10. If you can't get a couple of inches on 4th down...you deserve to hear boo's.

13. Barksdale - good move getting him into the line-up. If he plays well and is a good fit, you may be able to sign him and have RT locked down. If he plays well and doesn't sign with us...you get a comp pick. Either way, Holden is a back-up at best anyway.

16. The field was an embarrassment. I expect that from the old Cardinals not this one.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good write up Gandhi!

2. Wilks is a dead man walking. Wilks knows it. The propagandists on 98.7 know it too. They are in all full force defending Keim and not one good word about Wilks.

3. Again, Wilks is a done deal. He gone on Black Monday. Not going to beat up a dead horse topic.

5. I think Chad Williams deserves one more year on 53. But I get it if he is cut.

6. Run defense is the inexcusable part of the 4-3 switch.

7. Kirk is hurt. So P2 had to be catching punts. The "not so tough guy" P2 didnt allow a catch yesterday playing CB.

11. Mayowa is a keeper

12. Rosen needs a decent OL and good receiving corps. So does every QB in this league.

13. Who plays a guy signed Wednesday except this staff when Holden played fairly well at Green Bay on the road and is not hurt?

14. Ball rolls your way 3 or 4 games in a 16 game season. That is why it is so tough to go 0-16 or 1-15. That is what happened to Cardinals with 9ers and Chiefs. Packers was a good effort but is may be due to Rodgers who likely decided to lose the game to get rid of his coach.

15. Good points. Don't care where Cardinals draft just want to enjoy a competitive Cardinals game every Sunday.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Cards are the worst in the deck

Watched the junk on TV, because I did not want to drive to the stadium ...lost $250 in tickets, but o well.

anther game where 3 and out was the norm...laughed watching the Saints game where the other team got the Saints 3 and out and the announcer said, "That's only the 17th 3 and out this year from the Saints." I thought....The Cardinals have 17 3 and outs per game.

the d put up a good fight

when the other teams defense scores more than your offense...it's offensive to everyone...ie. Rosen pick six

The Cardinals are the Browns and it doesn't look like it's gonna get better any time soon. They could have 10 years to try to turn this around. Unfortunately Dennis Green isn't around to save them again.

Actually looking forward to the Cardinals calling me to renew my season tickets, "O HELL NO! I'm out! "

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
1 – Congratulation, Fitzgerald, on making the record for most catches on a single team!

The entire first half I was biting my nails because they didn’t target Fitzgerald. I was literally pissed that Leftwich or Rosen didn’t simply make sure they would throw it to him on every single play. Screw the gameplan, screw the advancing-aspect. Just get the ball to #11.

BA used to throw Fitz a bubble screen on the first series. Got the QB a quick completion and got that out of the way.

2 – Well, there’s a new low in town, huh? 0 points in the first half, and only three in the entire game is simply unacceptable. I know most of us has said that multiple times over the season, but that is exactly my point; the embarrassments are continuing to build up, and I think they are now at a point where Michael Bidwill simply can’t defend to the fans or to the public to protect Steve Wilks. It doesn’t matter to me whether the issue stems from the players, the coaching staff, the front office or Michael Bidwill himself. Steve Wilks is the head coach, so he is responsible for this. It’s just the way it works.

3 – I wonder if Wilks’ job situation is dependent on the alternatives? Say, for instance, that the Cards has the option to go for John Harbaugh. Does that change it for Michael Bidwill? Or what if they were impressed with some of the young guys (John DeFilippo and Brian Flores) they brought in, before hiring the more experienced Steve Wilks, so that Bidwill is now willing to reconsider? Or does he decide to keep Wilks because he doesn’t believe there are better options out there?

This is a bad way of doing business. I don't know if you can circle back to the guys you interviewed and passed over — ego does play a role here, and both of those guys will likely get plenty of interest. Not sure why Brian Flores would even be of interest. The Pats' defense has gotten marginally better the year, but they're by no means good. I don't see how hiring a "leader of men" that was a first-year defensive coordinator really helps your case.

IMO, there are a ton of qualified and effective head coach candidates out there. It's clear that Wilks is well below replacement level; you almost can't do worse unless it involves Hue Jackson.

P.S. Between Christian Kirk and Trent Sherfield, I am not that worried about the receiving corps going forward. I thought Sherfield did really well, and also, there is certainly enough other problems to look at.

P.P.S. I think Chad Williams is out before next season. ‘The most important ability is availability’, as they say.

Almost every part of this take is bad. Detroit's defense is 29th by DVOA and we were godawful. Trent Shefield could be the #4 or #5 WR on a playoff contender, but basically he might be a lateral move from Jaron Brown. There's nothing you can take away or build upon from this game about him. Bring him to camp; it'll cost you nothing.

Same thing with Chad Williams. Kirk, Sherfield and Williams give you the #2, #4, and #6 WRs on a team that could win 9 games.

8 - The last couple of weeks I have been thrilled to see that defense still matters, even though the NFL has done almost everything possible to make it easier on the offenses and harder on the defenses. Yes, you could argue that the offenses in this game was horrible (and you would be right), but that was in part because of the defenses, and besides, look at the Cowboys beating the Saints because of great play on defense, look at the Bears beating the Rams in part because of great play on defense. The Ravens playing the Chiefs very hard because of great play on defense. I much prefer a game like the Cards versus the Lions than some shootout where all that matters is to have the ball on the last drive because the offense score every time they have it. I think they are the most boring games.

We'll see when the playoffs start. It seems that in this era you want a defense that can force the occasional punt or field goal attempt, and that'll be enough to keep you competitive. I think that our turnovers will regress toward the mean next year and we'll be a Top-10-type defense.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Quick turnarounds happen in the NFL, with the right coaching staff, wisely spending available cap and a high draft pick a lot of problems can be solved in one offseason. I see no reason they can't turn this team from one of the worst to at minimum a competitive playoff contender (sort of like Arians first year here). The problem lies if they decide to keep Wilks, then any faith I have goes out the window.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
BA used to throw Fitz a bubble screen on the first series. Got the QB a quick completion and got that out of the way.

I was thinking about it watching the game. From the same bunch formation they could have thrown to Fitz and David Johnson 6-7 times yesterday.

If Edmunds is such a runner and DJ is not playing with "passion", why did not they split up carries evenly between Edmund and DJ and lined DJ as a receiver for the other half of snaps?

I think Wilks is heavily influencing the game plans more than we know.

Reaction score
I was thinking about it watching the game. From the same bunch formation they could have thrown to Fitz and David Johnson 6-7 times yesterday.

If Edmunds is such a runner and DJ is not playing with "passion", why did not they split up carries evenly between Edmund and DJ and lined DJ as a receiver for the other half of snaps?

I think Wilks is heavily influencing the game plans more than we know.

+1 Leftwich has made comments in interviews that to me sounded liked he was handcuffed. I could be reading too much into his comments though. We also have the RB coaching telling DJ to put his head down & run forward instead of letting him be DJ with his jump cuts.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're overly-generous rating the receivers.

Weaknesses getting open on-time/on plan impacts every other aspect of our offense.

It's nice when a receiver makes an exceptional grab, but those instances are the exception instead of the rule.

Our only can't-miss WR is AARP member Fitz. (Kirk is an up 'n comer but far from having dominant speed or a hu ge catching radius).

Cards have a massive rebuilding job to do on the OL and at WR.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Michael Bidwill has been so quiet this year it's truly different. The absolute void of any media interaction from him cannot be good for Wilks or anyone associated with this team. He's being respectful and not making any internal issues public, but look at the press conferences for signs of Michael's influence. Yesterday Wilks was all about blaming the players, today he's all about blaming the coaches. He was DEFINITELY talked to about it. Unless there's a miraculous turnaround and the team all-of-a-sudden just clicks, they're going a different direction in 3 weeks.

4 – I have heard multiple national reporters and journalist say that the stadium is called “the Farm”. Has any of you ever heard that from anyone local? It’s an honest question, because I simply haven’t read anything about it.
Stop it! Don't propagate such a terrible nickname insinuating we're a farm team, especially this year watching guys like Mathieu, John Brown, Campbell, and Tony Jefferson do well after they left :biglaugh:

:(

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the article I read from the Cards website about how they aren't worried about Rosen's % because of all the balls he has to throw away due to lack of protection, they also mentioned that they're doing a ton of max protect now with only 2 guys in the routes specifically to help the OL protect Josh. they also said the reason Barksdale started was he was more familiar with what the Cards want than Holden is, the terminology and OL schemes were very similar to what he'd played in before so even though he'd just signed, they thought he was ahead of Holden. Apparently that's a big deal because when they are NOT in max protect, the scheme and hand offs between OL is a huge deal and apparently something Holden didn't do very well the prior game.

Wilks made a comment in the presser about how basically half of what the wanted to do was not possible because they got so little push from the interior of the OL to run inside. I guess they had somehow expected with that OL they were going to be able to run between the tackles and couldn't.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
In the article I read from the Cards website about how they aren't worried about Rosen's % because of all the balls he has to throw away due to lack of protection, they also mentioned that they're doing a ton of max protect now with only 2 guys in the routes specifically to help the OL protect Josh. they also said the reason Barksdale started was he was more familiar with what the Cards want than Holden is, the terminology and OL schemes were very similar to what he'd played in before so even though he'd just signed, they thought he was ahead of Holden. Apparently that's a big deal because when they are NOT in max protect, the scheme and hand offs between OL is a huge deal and apparently something Holden didn't do very well the prior game.

Wilks made a comment in the presser about how basically half of what the wanted to do was not possible because they got so little push from the interior of the OL to run inside. I guess they had somehow expected with that OL they were going to be able to run between the tackles and couldn't.

This may very well be true they thought they found something in the Detroit defense to run inside but after trying it 12-15 times and having no success at all you should be looking at doing something else and Wilks and staff just kept running inside over and over despite the lack of success. Insanity anyone?

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I really can't see anyone getting fired which means in for a penny in for a pound and we'll need to get rid of DJ as he's not the type of runner for this system.

I have lost all but the very last vestiges of caring, not going to put any effort into watching them go through this. They at LEAST need to split the duties and hire nails OC.

The defense isn't bad but I don't want to wait around to lose games 10 to 0 until they figure out how to move the ball.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Stop it! Don't propagate such a terrible nickname insinuating we're a farm team, especially this year watching guys like Mathieu, John Brown, Campbell, and Tony Jefferson do well after they left :biglaugh:

:(

Ha ha, I am sorry Vince, and you are absolutely right! I don’t think it is a good nickname either, and that was actually the reason I wanted to ask if it was a widespread thing.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Yeah, Kerouac, I was thinking the same thing. “Just throw the damn ball on an easy pass to him!”

This is a bad way of doing business. I don't know if you can circle back to the guys you interviewed and passed over — ego does play a role here, and both of those guys will likely get plenty of interest. Not sure why Brian Flores would even be of interest. The Pats' defense has gotten marginally better the year, but they're by no means good. I don't see how hiring a "leader of men" that was a first-year defensive coordinator really helps your case.

IMO, there are a ton of qualified and effective head coach candidates out there. It's clear that Wilks is well below replacement level; you almost can't do worse unless it involves Hue Jackson.

Yes, it is. That does not mean that it won’t happen, though.

Almost every part of this take is bad. Detroit's defense is 29th by DVOA and we were godawful. Trent Shefield could be the #4 or #5 WR on a playoff contender, but basically he might be a lateral move from Jaron Brown. There's nothing you can take away or build upon from this game about him. Bring him to camp; it'll cost you nothing.

Same thing with Chad Williams. Kirk, Sherfield and Williams give you the #2, #4, and #6 WRs on a team that could win 9 games.

There are several issues with this, though they are kind of related to each other.

The first is that I think it is difficult to play in the NFL, and the Lions’ players get paid to do it too. I don’t know the number, but there has to be thousands and more thousands of players who wanted to play in the NFL but simply wasn’t good enough, which would make it a very low percentage of potential NFL players that actually gets to play in an NFL game. This is just a theory of mine, and maybe I am way off, but sometimes I get the feeling that Americans takes it just a bit for granted that these players are exceptional athletes? Well, I shouldn’t be that narrowminded. I am sure people from other countries do so as well. Anyway, in the newest World Ranking Denmark is the 10th best American Football-country. Every year we have what is called “the Mermaid Bowl” which is the Super Bowl here in Denmark. Take my word for it: those players are not even in the same stratosphere as any player in the NFL. Remember Dayton Winn? You know, the runningback from Hendrix College in D-III. No? The best player in Denmark, and a huge part of the reason (probably the decisive reason) that Copenhagen won the tournament. Germany is number #5 on said ranking. Some years ago, the wide receiver Moritz Boehringer was in the draft, and would have been the first ever player drafted directly from Europe to the NFL, after he had absolutely destroyed the German league. He was drafted by the Vikings, yet as far as I know he has been nowhere near getting playing time in the NFL, and he is now on the second practice squad with the Bengals.

NFL players are special, both the best ones and the worst ones, and until now, no-one has come into the league from any other continent without having attended a college in the U.S. first. What I am saying with all this is that whether the Lions are ranked low in one ranking, their players are still good players, and it is not at all a given that any wide receiver can make plays against them. Sherfield did just that.

My second argument is that you are not alone in expecting rookies to produce right away, and I can see why you would have that thinking. Going back to my previous point, I think it is difficult to get playing time in the NFL, and the odds of an undrafted free agent doing it is pretty high. In addition to that, I think Sherfield can get better with time.

The third point I want to make is that, while you are right about the Lions’ defense, you fail to mention that the Cards’ offense is ranked #32 using the same metrics. In other words, Trent Sherfield was going against at least comparable players other than seven out of nine (including the three most used) where veterans. I don’t expect Sherfield to take Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey to school.

By the way, I obviously can’t speak for you or anyone else, but I should mention that when I describe NFL players as good, bad or the likes I am automatically doing it compared to other NFL players, and as I said, that means the baseline is very high.

We'll see when the playoffs start. It seems that in this era you want a defense that can force the occasional punt or field goal attempt, and that'll be enough to keep you competitive. I think that our turnovers will regress toward the mean next year and we'll be a Top-10-type defense.

Or teams have learned from those games and now has a better blueprint for stopping those offenses.
Your guess is as good as mine. None of us know.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good write up Gandhi!

2. Wilks is a dead man walking. Wilks knows it. The propagandists on 98.7 know it too. They are in all full force defending Keim and not one good word about Wilks.

3. Again, Wilks is a done deal. He gone on Black Monday. Not going to beat up a dead horse topic.

5. I think Chad Williams deserves one more year on 53. But I get it if he is cut.

6. Run defense is the inexcusable part of the 4-3 switch.

7. Kirk is hurt. So P2 had to be catching punts. The "not so tough guy" P2 didnt allow a catch yesterday playing CB.

11. Mayowa is a keeper

12. Rosen needs a decent OL and good receiving corps. So does every QB in this league.

13. Who plays a guy signed Wednesday except this staff when Holden played fairly well at Green Bay on the road and is not hurt?

14. Ball rolls your way 3 or 4 games in a 16 game season. That is why it is so tough to go 0-16 or 1-15. That is what happened to Cardinals with 9ers and Chiefs. Packers was a good effort but is may be due to Rodgers who likely decided to lose the game to get rid of his coach.

15. Good points. Don't care where Cardinals draft just want to enjoy a competitive Cardinals game every Sunday.

Very good points, Arz101, and some of them I did not know of. Thank you!

Having said that, I do want to clarify that whatever happens on the defense has absolutely nothing to do with the base system. They use a multitude of different ways to line up, including the 3-4, the 4-3, the 2-3-5, the 3-2-5, the 1-3-6 and most other combination you can think of. I have nothing to back this claim up, but the last couple of years they probably lined up in a classic 4-3 formation more than this year.

The important part is about gap assignments, coverage packages, blitz packages and stuff like that.

Also, I don’t want to diminish the team’s play versus the Chiefs and the Packers. I thought the Cardinals played well and that whatever luck they had was a result of that they sought after it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
5. Love Kirk and Sherfield has been a pleasant surprise but we need a true #1 and probably another #2/3 to go with Kirk (but bigger).

5.1 Agree on Chad Williams. Admit to the bust and move on.

10. If you can't get a couple of inches on 4th down...you deserve to hear boo's.

13. Barksdale - good move getting him into the line-up. If he plays well and is a good fit, you may be able to sign him and have RT locked down. If he plays well and doesn't sign with us...you get a comp pick. Either way, Holden is a back-up at best anyway.

16. The field was an embarrassment. I expect that from the old Cardinals not this one.

Great points, TheCardFan! I do disagree with your view on the offensive line, though.

If Barksdale plays well, I guess he will be the starting right tackle going forward, or at least be a swing tackle or another piece of the offensive line-room. If he does not play well, they almost certainly won’t get a compensatory pick for a player they will have had for about a month. If they do re-sign him, and he plays well, I guess there is no point in replacing him just to get a compensatory pick, and if they re-sign hin, and he does not play well, they won’t get a compensatory pick.

My point was that the offensive line played fairly well against the Packers, and so there was no reason at all to mess with the starting lineup, which you know is the best recipe, no matter if they thought Barksdale was a bit better than Holden. I would agree with you if there were, say, four (or even three) starters who had played together for the entire season then you could plug in a new guy without it costing too many struggles. You might even be able to do it if the other four guys were at least veterans. As the case was, the unit was a new combination for the umpteenth time, and it was made up by three rookies of whom only one guy had started more than two games. This was, without a doubt in my mind, not the right time to experiment with the starting five.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We now have the worst QB in the NFL, and if we pass on a QB in next year's draft, we'll have the worst starting QB in 2019 as well.

P.S. Not counting Washington's 3rd stringer.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We now have the worst QB in the NFL, and if we pass on a QB in next year's draft, we'll have the worst starting QB in 2019 as well.

Garth, I understand your point following this season, but I have much bigger belief in Rosen, and I don’t see him being the worst quarterback next year. In fact, I think he is much more a part of the solution than the problem.

Also, would you really want to draft a quarterback again?

Reaction score

We don't even have the worst rookie QB. Him & Darnold are close with Baker leading the pack. Josh Allen is at the bottom. Not sure where Jackson is at but I don't think it's better than Rosen & Darnold. Rushing yes.

For the season, Rosen has completed 55.4 percent of his passes, with 10 touchdowns and 12 interceptions and a 68.3 passer rating in 11 games. By comparison, top overall pick Baker Mayfield of Cleveland is having by far the best rookie year of the top 10 quarterbacks, with a 64.4 completion percentage, 19 touchdowns and 10 interceptions and a passer rating of 93.4. The Jets’ Sam Darnold has completed 55.9 percent of his passes, with 12 TDs, 15 interceptions and a 69.5 rating, and the Bills’ Josh Allen is at 52.4 percent completions, 5 TDs, 12 interceptions and a rating of 62.8.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/josh-rosen-won-t-be-sitting-this-season

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Pretty much matches the mood on this board. Who is watching to see how the young guys play? Nobody, the coaching is so inept and boring, we just want the season over and Wilks gone. Just really...no hope.

I was at last Sunday's game against the Lions and it seemed that around 50% of the stands were Lion blue. Some Cardinal fans left at halftime and by the end of the third quarter the ratio of Lion to Cardinal fans had risen to 65% Lions/35% Cardinals. By mid way through the 4th quarter it was probably 80% Lions to 20%v Cardinals. I assume Bidwill attends all home games and I hope he witness this debacle. He is definitely losing the fan base.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn