15 thoughts - coaching staff

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I like the hire of Kingsbury. When he was first hired, a part of me was thinking “stop trying to copy someone else. It will never work”, but after thinking some more about it, I start realizing that they were not trying to copy anything from anyone. Well, if you think hiring a young, offensive-minded head coach is copying, then yes, they are trying to copy other teams, but I don’t think that. I think they analyzed their roster, and then found the best candidate to protect Rosen (at Texas Tech the quarterback was rarely touched) while develop him (Kingsbury’s work with young quarterbacks at Texas Tech has been well documented), deploy David Johnson (at Texas Tech the runningbacks often had huge games) and utilize Christian Kirk and Chad Williams (at Texas Tech the wide receivers had great conditions. They even went to the college ranks to find said head coach. This was not a rebound or consolation prize for not getting Sean McVay or Matt Nagy. The Packers tries to emulate those team’s success by hiring Matt LaFleur. The Bengals tries to emulate that success by hiring Zac Taylor. The Cardinals did not. In the future people might try to copy the Cardinals’ approach because they were the first movers.

2 – I have nothing to back this up, but I believe Kingsbury was their first choice all along. I believe that when they several times said “we are keeping it close to the vest” it meant that they couldn’t exactly say “we have been intrigued with this college coach for a long time, and now that we are out of a head coach we are laying out hints for him to quit his new job at a major program.” Yes, it could obviously had been spinned another way than that, but my point is that I am convinced he (or anyone else) would not quit his new topjob to only go to a job interview without having the slightest idea what it very well could lead to. In other words, I strongly believe they got their primary choice.

3 – Steve Keim is really betting on himself. He has obviously made bold decisions in the past (hiring Bruce Arians, trading for Chandler Jones, drafting Tyrann Mathieu to name a few), but trading up in the first round to target your potential franchise quarterback and hiring a recently fired college head coach to lead your team out of the misery after a historical bad season? That’s superbold.

4 – If there was one coach from the previous staff, I would like the new staff to bring with them it would have been Jeff Rodgers. Special teams are criminally underrated, in my opinion, and I thought Rodgers did a great job with the unit last year.

5 – Tom Clements wasn’t one of the guys I wanted the most, but that doesn’t mean I don’t like the hire. He obviously brings a wealth of experience, and he has proven to be very good with quarterbacks. I also know that he did some in-game analysis for Mike McCarthy while they were together in Green Bay. Also, it’s hard not to think that Steve Keim, Michael Bidwill and Kliff Kingsbury wanted the Packers-connection between Tom Clements and new wide receiver coach David Raih.

6 – I have a bit of skepticism with the hire of Clements as well. The local reporters say that he will essentially be the de facto offensive coordinator. Then why the title? Why not call an offensive coordinator the offensive coordinator? So, what exactly is Clements going to do? I mean other than being a quarterback coach. The locals also reports that Clements will be sort of a “bench coach” to Kingsbury, while other insiders point to him being “the primary offensive assistant.” What does those things even mean? No, he is not just a glorified position coach as many has suggested. Again, why the title then? He is not stupid (well, I suppose he isn’t), so why would he want the coordinator-title if it wasn’t relevant, and other the other side, why would the Cards give him the title if it wasn’t relevant?

With the Packers he was heavily involved with the offensive game planning, and for many years the Packers has been well-known for running a west coach offense. Was that Mike McCarthy’s preferred system? Was it Clements’? Will he bring details from that system to mesh with Kingsbury’s ideas?

Why did they hire a passing game coordinator, when passing offense supposedly is Kingsbury’s biggest strength as a play caller? Why not a run game coordinator?

Oh, and don’t give me that “Sean Kugler will help coordinating the run game.” He might end up doing that, but it obviously is not the intention since he wasn’t named offensive line coach / run game coordinator. If the titles were thrown around that lightly (and this goes to Clements as well as I have written), they wouldn’t have any validity, so why would they even exist – and this goes for both parties, both the employee and the employer?

7 – I can’t really decide what I think of the hiring of Vance Joseph. Don’t get me wrong, I think he is good, but is he experienced enough? I mean, is three years as a high-ranked coach enough? Again, I am not talking about if he is a good enough play-caller, but I guess I just thought that they would bring in coordinators with a wealth of experience. Like Mike Nolan or Dom Capers, who were rumored to be in the mix. Having said that, I think it speaks volume that, literally the day after he was let go by Denver, he had an interview set up with the Bengals for their head coaching-job, and both the Browns, the Jets and the Cardinals interviewed him for their coordinator-openings. In sport it can often tell you something about someone’s abilities by how sought-after he or she is. It also tells us that Bidwill must have really opened up the checkbook.

8 - I haven’t been following Joseph’s past stints closely enough to say which system he is going to run, but I suppose there will be more focus on penetration from the defensive line, more blitzes and probably more man coverage. In other words, I suppose it will fit the personnel better than Al Holcomb’s defense did.

9 – Man, I wanted them to bring back Stump Mitchell. I think that if the offense is going to be explosive it needs the old David Johnson, and even though Kingsbury might utilize him much better than last year, a good position coach would really help as well. I’m sure James Saxon is a good alternative, by the way. I don’t know more about him than I can read, and it’s kind of encouraging that both the Steelers’ fans and their players are furious that Saxon was let go.

10 – I literally shivered when I saw that the Cardinals had hired Billy Davis, just because I remember his last stint in Arizona. However, after letting it sink in, I’m not that negative about it. I mean, he is hired as the linebackers-coach which he has previously been very successful with at various places.

11 – I like the hire of offensive line coach Sean Kugler, I really do. It’s just that I can remember how most people (including me) was elated when they brought Russ Grimm in, and I guess all of us remembers how most people (including me) had high expectations after they hired Ray Brown before last year. Kugler was in demand, and he is in fact known as one of best.

12 – I don’t know much about Steve Heiden, but he was hired by Bruce Arians, retained by Steve Wilks and now retained by Kliff Kingsbury. That says a lot about Heiden. I don’t know for sure, but I got to think it is extremely rare that a coach are kept on the different head coaches staff’s throughout three different regimes.

Buddy Morris has also been retained by two staff’s after Arians’, but he isn’t really an on the field-coach, so other elements probably goes into that.

13 –They retained and promoted Chris Achuff to defensive line coach? Really? After how the defensive line played last year? I am not saying this is necessarily a bad hire (and, after all, Kingsbury did play against Achuff’s defensive lines four times in college), but color me skeptical.

14 – I can’t wait to see Kingsbury’s offense in full effect. His offenses in college were certainly high-octane and super-explosive, but the game is simply different in the NFL. I guess my point is that if he really is this offensive wizard with a razor-sharp mind like everyone in the know seems to think, then he should be able to adapt his systems and playcalling to the NFL.

15 – I like this coaching staff. I would have done things differently here and there, but that doesn’t make it any less interesting. Maybe the assistants will help the gamble with Kingsbury work, and maybe they won’t, but no-one, who knows just a little about these coaches, can deny that the conditions to succeed are now there, and that the “experiment” is most fascinating.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I like reading what you have written.
What I like, it seems that they have a wide knowledge base of things used on different teams and systems. Hopefully, they can bring in the different systems, ideas and get them working together into a good system.

I really don't understand what a running backs coach does with runners. I would think most of that is just natural ability.
Oh, well. What do I know? (nothingo_O).

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
K2 gets in the office at 4:00am and gets a full day of work in. I doubt Wilks or BA were able to do that.

I am worried about his experience in FA and talent evaluation though.

Good thing he doesn’t have to recruit high school kids and deal with boosters.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like reading what you have written.
What I like, it seems that they have a wide knowledge base of things used on different teams and systems. Hopefully, they can bring in the different systems, ideas and get them working together into a good system.

I really don't understand what a running backs coach does with runners. I would think most of that is just natural ability.
Oh, well. What do I know? (nothingo_O).
well, the last one wanted DJ to play power instead of finesse and we saw the results.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joseph’s strength was as a DC.,after being a HC this will seem like a piece of cake comparing the duties of a HC. I also like the fact he brought a couple of his guys with him that will create a bit of continuity from day one. I am really excited about Kugler. If I remember correctly the Broncos lost 3 of their starters but their run game didn’t miss a beat. Clements I believe is a good hire. I think it was kind of a connect the dots hire. Rodgers and Rosen worked out together last year and may have planted the seed about Clements along the way. Pure speculation of course. I’m not hung up on titles of these coaches. I think K2 has a plan and a vision. He will bounce his vision to his coaches to get feedback on why something may or may not work. Perhaps receive reports on individual players strengths and weaknesses and help him analyse what a player can or can’t do. Ultimately this will be kingsbury’s offense. It most certainly will be a work in progress.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Joseph’s strength was as a DC.,after being a HC this will seem like a piece of cake comparing the duties of a HC. I also like the fact he brought a couple of his guys with him that will create a bit of continuity from day one. I am really excited about Kugler. If I remember correctly the Broncos lost 3 of their starters but their run game didn’t miss a beat. Clements I believe is a good hire. I think it was kind of a connect the dots hire. Rodgers and Rosen worked out together last year and may have planted the seed about Clements along the way. Pure speculation of course. I’m not hung up on titles of these coaches. I think K2 has a plan and a vision. He will bounce his vision to his coaches to get feedback on why something may or may not work. Perhaps receive reports on individual players strengths and weaknesses and help him analyse what a player can or can’t do. Ultimately this will be kingsbury’s offense. It most certainly will be a work in progress.

I mean, in his one season as DC he lead the Fins to becoming the 29th ranked defense in the NFL (18th in scoring).

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like the coaching staff, especially the offensive line and running back coaches
Heiden probably is keim buddy, tigh ends plays regressed since he has been in the staff
What scares me most its keim, looks he has more power on decisions
Kingsbury has to make his own decision on rosen, and he must demand another qb to compete with Rosen

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Vance Jospeh DC Miami

Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[1] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
People/Pundits joked that hiring coaches that new Sean McVay was a thing...Here's how I look at it: the Cardinals hired a coach that Sean McVay wanted...he sought out K2. It wasn't K2 trying to rub elbows with McVay...it was the other way around. He may flame out, but it's gonna be one huge ball of flames.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Vance Jospeh DC Miami

Joseph was announced as the defensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins for the 2016 season under head coach Adam Gase. Joseph oversaw a defense that played a key role in the Dolphins returning to the playoffs for the first time in eight seasons. Despite having to use 13 different starting lineups due to injury, Joseph’s defense ranked fourth in the NFL on third downs (36.2%) while forcing the sixth-most negative plays (107) in the league.[1] The Dolphins won nine of their final 11 regular-season games in 2016 with Joseph’s defense accounting for the fourth-most takeaways (21) in the NFL during that stretch.

Yes, who can forget that we evaluate defenses first in third downs, then negative plays, and finally takeaways in the last 11 games.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, in his one season as DC he lead the Fins to becoming the 29th ranked defense in the NFL (18th in scoring).
Since you're such a fan of posting DVOA vs. traditional stats when it suits your point, why not now? By DVOA, looks as though the 2016 Dolphins D was middle of the pack - up from 29th the year before. VJ must've done something right to have been hired away as a head coach afterward.

...dbs

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Since you're such a fan of posting DVOA vs. traditional stats when it suits your point, why not now? By DVOA, looks as though the 2016 Dolphins D was middle of the pack - up from 29th the year before. VJ must've done something right to have been hired away as a head coach afterward.

...dbs

Yes. They were 19th overall, 16th against the pass and 22nd against the run.

Good job(?). The Fins were 25th in DVOA the year before (29 pass 20 run).

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
hat a running backs coach does with runners. I would think most of that is just natural ability.

It can be stuff like technique, running style, and most of all blitz pickup. Some of it is natural ability, but that goes for every position. :)

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
K2 gets in the office at 4:00am and gets a full day of work in. I doubt Wilks or BA were able to do that.

I actually remember Darren Urban telling something about Wilks being at the facility at 4 a.m. every morning.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Typically an OL coach IS the run game coordinator, title or not.

No, the offensive coordinator or head coach is that. That comes with the playcalling.

Don’t get me wrong. Personally I couldn’t care less about titles, but I do care about job descriptions, and I think it says something in that regard what title a guy has. For instance, wouldn’t it be weird if a defensive line coach were not called the defensive line coach?

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I actually remember Darren Urban telling something about Wilks being at the facility at 4 a.m. every morning.
the reason? i mean its matter most the quality then the quantity of the time
i hope kingsbury sleep well at night without waking up so early

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It can be stuff like technique, running style, and most of all blitz pickup. Some of it is natural ability, but that goes for every position. :)
As long as we're on the topic - Woud D Johnson's running style fit the Kingsbury offense. better than the quicker but smaller Chase Edmonds?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
As long as we're on the topic - Woud D Johnson's running style fit the Kingsbury offense. better than the quicker but smaller Chase Edmonds?
most of the air raid style offense is about getting guys the ball in space and allowing them to make plays with their skills. IMHO this style suits David Johnson pretty well. In the open field against a LB or CB he has an advantage in most cases.
that of course is in the passing game.
Run wise,...we need to get back to some of those stretch plays we used to run so much...his hop step and cut are pretty deadly when he is allowed to recognize a hole on his own. The previous staff was forcing him to run in a designated hole which often wasnt there. The new offense should allow him some freedom in selecting his own lanes.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like the coaching staff, especially the offensive line and running back coaches
Heiden probably is keim buddy, tigh ends plays regressed since he has been in the staff
What scares me most its keim, looks he has more power on decisions
Kingsbury has to make his own decision on rosen, and he must demand another qb to compete with Rosen

NewsFlash: KK has already made his decision on Rosen public.

sinsay

Veteran
Reaction score
I would have loved to see the following coaches on the cards staff as assistant coaches. They have all produced great NFL talent and are inexpensive.

Clemson DL coach
Todd Bates
https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/todd-bates/

LSU DB coach
Corey Raymond
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=205388651

Clemson OC as the Cards Offensive Asst.

Clemson has produced great offensive talent and has one of the best offenses in the country.

Tony Elliot
https://clemsontigers.com/coaches/tony-elliott/

Iowa TE/OL Coach Brain Ferentz also was on Pats coaching staff.

Iowa has 2 of the top 4 TE in the draft.

SF TE also came from this program.
Asst TE/OL Coach (mainly TE)

https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1414

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
the reason? i mean its matter most the quality then the quantity of the time
i hope kingsbury sleep well at night without waking up so early

I was answering to a specific post which said that Kingsbury arrives at the facility at 4. a.m., so I just mentioned that Wilks did as well.

Yes, I think you are certainly right that spending the time correctly is the important thing. Not how long they are there.