15 thoughts - Chargers game

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
I feel like we already have mid-level plug and play guys.

We really need to step it up with probably a proven acquisition AND a focus in the draft. Unfortunately, as has been mentioned, most young guys aren't prepared to start playing right away. They're overwhelmed in having to learn new technique in very little spans of time.

Other than Warner, Veldheer was probably the best FA signing by the Cardinals this century. But we didn't pay him huge money back in 2014 though. 1.2 million salary with a 6 million signing bonus that made him around #10 in terms LT salaries for that year, and I wouldn't mind a similar approach for for an OL FA signing for the 2020 season (i.e. signing an OL guy so that he's around #10 - 15 in terms of salary at his position).

But if were going to spend any kind of big money in the next FA period (i.e. signing a guy so that he's around #5 or higher in terms of salary at his position), I hope it's on defensive play-makers. LB's or DE's, or even a good DT.

And maybe just one guy like this. Generally I'm against buying superstars, since I don't think it's sustainable. But we do have our QB on on rookie contact, and ton of cap room for 2020 (I believe). So maybe we can get away with splurging a little.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We all know this is preseason. We all know the best players are not playing much. We all know that makes it hard to project much in regard to the regular season. We all know the players on the field are playing for jobs. We all know some of them are playing to support their family. We all know the players on the field are ready to kill to make a player or at least play well. So, shall we continue without any complains or objections about how it is “only” preseason? Okay, good. Let’s go:

1 – What a great play by Jordan Hicks, causing the fumble after perfectly reading the play, and there is nothing “preseason-ish” over such a play. That is just pure instinct.

2 – I thought I had the top five wide receivers penciled down (Fitzgerald, Kirk, the three rookies), but what about Trent Sherfield? Does he crack the party and get extensive playing time? I thought he got very good separation from the defender, and obviously he made some big plays.

3 – You know that Murray-dude? Yeah, he´s quick.

4 – To me, linebacker Zeke Turner was the most impressive of all the backups. Good reads, fast, physical, and last year he obviously showed he was very good on special teams. I am high on this guy, I´ll tell you that.

5 – Is it still the setup where the away-team’s fans has to watch the home team’s TV-broadcast? If so, I feel bad for Chargers-fans. I had muted very quickly if it was me.

6 – I was not impressed by the special team blocking. However, here´s a good news: Andy Lee starts where he left off.

7 – I was already high on linebacker Dennis Gardeck last year – and I still am – but I thought there was a couple of plays where he showed that he still need to practice on his read-and-react skills.

8 – Is edge rusher Pete Robertson this year’s Cap Capi? Preseason stud who makes a lot of plays.

9 – I badly wanted to like the backup offensive line, but I just couldn’t. Well, I guess Korey Cunningham was okay.

10 – Great to see Ricky Seals-Jones make some plays. Make no mistake about it: the traditional tight end is becoming rare nowadays while the big receiver are the new norm.

11 – I thought defensive tackle Terrell McClain played well. It would be huge to have good depth at the defensive line.

(On that note, man, I am bumped that it didn’t work with Nkemdiche. He really is a world class talent. I wish him the very best.

P.S. And Philon? Idiot.)

12 – I think it is exciting that some of the second year players (all of them free agents) indicated that they have stepped up from last year. Linebackers Zeke Turner and Dennis Gardeck, cornerback Chris Jones, and wide receiver Trent Sherfield.

13 – I don’t really know what to make of it, but I thought some of the undrafted guys (defensive tackle Miles Brown, safety Tyler Sigler, runningback Wes Hills) was at least pleasant surprises.

14 – Maybe I shouldn’t put anything into it at all, but I just thought it was interesting that quarterback Drew Anderson got on the field before his rival, Charles Kanoff. I thought Kanoff did well in the preseason last year, so I just expected that he would be further ahead at this time.

15 – I guess Hakeem Butler proved why I wasn’t that high on him in the draft process with the inconsistency. Damn. Hopefully we will continue to improve.
After the game Trent Sherfield had last Thursday, does Hakeem Butler even make the team? I'm now wondering which one will be released between HB & AI? Maybe one goes to the practice squad? Isabella will get his chance this week against the Raiders I think?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
After the game Trent Sherfield had last Thursday, does Hakeem Butler even make the team? I'm now wondering which one will be released between HB & AI? Maybe one goes to the practice squad? Isabella will get his chance this week against the Raiders I think?

Butler should get ONE year.

Lagerfilled

Professional Tailgater
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be surprised if Cardinals pickup another vet receiver (ie: Crabtree) and Butler is IRd with a mysterious season ending injury. Just sayin’ he’s not getting waived because he would be immediately snatched up via the waiver wire.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

Cardsfaninlouky (you have a long name sir :) ), maybe it's not quite completely fair to compare Sherfield and Butler, since Sherfield has had a year in our system (such as it is).

If Butler had the benefit of one year with the organization, what would he look at that point?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Been watching camp videos on fb... Butler is making some nice catches... Apparently the kid just has issues with the easy ones. The easy fix to that is to only throw to him when he is covered

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Cardsfaninlouky (you have a long name sir :) ), maybe it's not quite completely fair to compare Sherfield and Butler, since Sherfield has had a year in our system (such as it is).

If Butler had the benefit of one year with the organization, what would he look at that point?
I understand that part crimson warrior, I was just pointing out the reality of the situation that SK will be facing. Decisions on whom to cut loose? Sherfield can definitely make the team for special teams, that may be the way to go & keep Butler? I'd say, my opinion anyway, that if one of the rookie WR's are to be cut, it will be between Butler & Isabella? Honestly I don't wanna see neither get cut because we spent higher draft picks on both of them. Isabella has been injured but is supposed to play against the Raiders & Butler has dropped alot of passes in practice the way I understand it. He's made some highlight reel catches in practice also. Johnson has already solidified his spot imo. I'd say Kevin White is definitely gone, he's more injury prone than any of our OL & that's bad. Fitzgerald, Kirk, Sherfield, Byrd, Johnson, Butler & Isabella will make 7 WR's, that's the number everyone keeps saying we will keep. That leaves Cooper as the odd man out, he may make the team as a return man? I may be forgetting someone? The next 3 games will obviously give us more of an idea.