15 thoughts - 49ers game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 - Just win, baby! Don’t ever apologize for winning.

2 - I don’t like McCoy’s playcalling, but it is certainly about the execution as well. My God, there is a lot of bad execution going on.

3 - What team do you dislike the most? For me it’s the Niners. Can’t stand them.

4 - Yes, the defense is atrocious in run defense, but have you seen the wholes they leave open in coverage? I almost hope it is because of many mental mistakes because the alternative is really depressing.

5 - Anyone else who is a bit anxious every game until Fitzgerald has a catch so that his streak of games with a least one catch can continue?

6 - That must have been Haason Reddick’s best game in the NFL by far.

7 - Center Daniel Munyer was in on three defensive snaps. Why? I saw him in there on 2nd and goal late in the fourth quarter.

8 - I think Deone Bucannon will get traded, and yes, I am positive that someone will pay for him. I wouldn’t be stunned if Reddick and Bradford did as well, provided there is a suitor, obviously.

9 - I would still describe D. J. Humphries as a legitimate NFL offensive tackle, but is he really that good? I am beginning to doubt it a bit.

10 - Enough with the drops!

11 - Josh Bynes just keeps distancing himself as the best linebacker on the team.

12 - How does a special teams unit (I counted at least five players) not pick up a ball near the goalline when that ball is not rolling toward the end zone anymore, and an opponent is obviously trying to get to the ball? That opponent did touch the ball initially, and thus made it a live ball, but even if he didn’t, how does five or six players not figure out it would be a good idea to secure the ball – you know, just in case?

13 - Morale victories do not exist, but I still saw some things from Rosen that makes me believe in him longterm.

14 - I don’t really doubt that Byron Leftwich will be an offensive coordinator one day. Does that day come sooner than later? I don’t think so, but I would not be against it.

15 - The players and most likely everyone else in the organization seemed genuinely excited that Steve Wilks got a victory. I’m happy for him.

P.S. I thought of putting Chandler Jones in as one of the thoughts, but everyone knew he was good, everyone saw it again, and everyone has mentioned it again, so I decided that it was kind of pointless.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
6 - Meh, yeah he had some interesting numbers until you remember how far down the field he was making tackles.

7 - Diche has an owwie. Softest player on the DL.

8 - PT Barnum said it best.

11 - Sad but true.

14 - Of course he will but will he be any good?

15 - Wilks got lucky the Niners were closer to the Cal Bears than the SF 49ers.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Munyer was in because we were down 2 dline men and the dts we had were on the field for 30 to 40 minutes and we needed more beef for the goalline stand.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team is fortunate Garappolo was injured because the only reason why we won was because of 5 turnovers. Otherwise we had no business winning that game. The fact that our offense can't stay on the field more than 20 minutes is an embarrassment. And kudos to the defense to hold them to 18 points while being on the field for 2/3 of the game. The 49ers lost this game more than we won it.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff.

Munyer was in because we were down 2 dline men and the dts we had were on the field for 30 to 40 minutes and we needed more beef for the goalline stand.

Thanks, Cardiac, I figured it was something like that. I just think it’s weird that they haft to come up with something like that. Teams shake up their roster all the time to get position specific players for one game, so do they think Munyer is good at it? Did they really not think they could sign a defensive tackle of the street that were better than Munyer? Obviously, they didn’t expect to have the defense on the field for that long, but I still think they should have dressed another lineman. Maybe it’s just because I value the defensive line so high, though.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
And another thing....The choreographed celebrations. I get it. But it'd be nice to focus on being consistent and playing better as a unit. 1-4 is not the record I'd like to have as a back drop to such theatrics.

I completely understand what you are saying, Philly! I even had it in as one of the thoughts in another week. I get why they want to celebrate and show their happiness, and since they were winning I guess it’s fine that they do it, but for some reason it still just kind of annoys me. If they were 4-1 or even 3-2 I wouldn’t have a problem with it, and in fact, I remember how I thought it was a really fun thing to do in the best years with Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer, but right now it seems a bit inappropriate, I think.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, Cardiac, I figured it was something like that. I just think it’s weird that they haft to come up with something like that. Teams shake up their roster all the time to get position specific players for one game, so do they think Munyer is good at it? Did they really not think they could sign a defensive tackle of the street that were better than Munyer? Obviously, they didn’t expect to have the defense on the field for that long, but I still think they should have dressed another lineman. Maybe it’s just because I value the defensive line so high, though.

Remember that both Golden and Diche were game day decisions.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I completely understand what you are saying, Philly! I even had it in as one of the thoughts in another week. I get why they want to celebrate and show their happiness, and since they were winning I guess it’s fine that they do it, but for some reason it still just kind of annoys me. If they were 4-1 or even 3-2 I wouldn’t have a problem with it, and in fact, I remember how I thought it was a really fun thing to do in the best years with Bruce Arians and Carson Palmer, but right now it seems a bit inappropriate, I think.

Gandhi, I remember the eagles were doing the group celebrations ad nauseum last year, but they were straight rolling at the time. I hated it then as well, but with winning you're certainly entitled. Don't get me wrong, I love a little personality from our team, but there needs to be a greater emphasis on righting this ship and salvaging the season rather than getting on Prime Time. Especially from a leader like PP!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

This must think he can handle it, it is the second game where he got goal line snaps on D.