13 in 44: 2009 Cardinals Defensive Line

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It takes 3 seasons for a coach's system to take hold. I officially call the Cardinals a 3-4 base defense. We know it is a hodge podge of different formations, but if a standard needs to be made, then the defense is 3-4.

That being said our defensive line is in pretty good shape. Its depth could be a lot better, but all in all we have a good mix of experience, and youth. Not to mention so guys that can play in more than one spot.

Nose Tackle:
Bryan Robinson:
What can be said about this veteran ? He was brought in to do spot duty, and help bring along the two young nose tackles we have on our roster. Watson went down with an injury that held him back all last season, and Alan Branch is a bust. This made Robinson become our starting nose tackle. For a 35 year old, 6'4",304 lbs Robinson did a solid job. He is a little small for the position and got pushed around from time to time because of it, but he was plan C for that position last year, and played better than a 3rd stringer. Hopefully, Robinson will be used as a spot role player this year, and his starting spot is taken over by Gabe Watson. The nice thing about Bryan is that he call also play DT in a 4-3 setup, and DE in the 3-4. He provides a lot of depth at all the DL positions.

Gabe Watson:
This is the year for Spongebob Squareback aka Gabe Watson. He will be healthy, and be ready to make money in his contract year. He is 25 years old 6'3", 332 lbs. He has everything he needs to be a dominant NT in a 3-4 defense. Huge frame, power, and a little bit of quickness. When Gabe plays well he demands the double team that a 3-4 NT should demand. This free's up Darnell in passing situations, and Hayes in running situation thus helping the entire defense to play better, and be a more efficient unit. Not to mention if you leave Watson one on one, he has enough of a quick bust to get on your QB. Watson is a huge guy, and when I saw him last year he was out against Seattle because his knee STILL bothered him and it was noticable. If he is completely healthy he will be the surprise of the defense this year, and get a good contract extension next offseason.

Alan Branch:
Alan Branch is a waste. He is a waste of a draft position, he is a waste of a roster spot, he is a wast of potential, a waste of God given ability, a waste of time in the weight room, a waste of time on the practice field, and a wast of money to pay his salary. Mr. Wendell Bryant part II is a horrid football player. Branch has been given all the oppourtunities that any NFL player would ask for and he done nothing with it because he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and he doesn't even care about his own name that much cause he is disgracing himself. After a horrible rookie campaign were the coaches publicly questioned his will to be a NFL football player, he followed it up with showing no effort last offseason, and losing a starting job that was practically given to him by way of injury last year. He has all the tools, size, and ability you need to no only make it in this league but be one of the best at his position. Instead he is a fat, lazy, slob who only is on this team because it costs too much to cut his worthless butt. So, Alan Branch will spend another year as a fat ugly cheerleader on the side lines. Wasting this teams money, wasting a roster spot, and wasting his NFL career that any intelligent person would jump at the oppourtunity. Alan Branch is going to be a leach on the Arizona Cardinals belly for just a little longer, and then the minute he is expendable we will finally be rid of this free loading, lying, cheating, worthless, bastard of a NFL player. And from me personally, screw you Mr. Branch, there are alot of people these days that would work hard for the oppourtunity and money you are getting for doing nothing. You are a disgrace to the game, and every hard working person in this country. You are a free loader, liar and a cheat.

Defensive End
Darnell Dockett:
Darnell is Darnell. He has always spoke his mind, and always will. The guy signed a 5 year contract and want to re-do it 2 years later.......what can you say ? That is Darnell for you, love him or hate him he is ours.

I am more concerned with his abilities on the field. Again, Darnell Dockett is who he is. His discipline is questioned, and from time to time you will see his willingness to try to "make a play" with come back to hurt us, but then again this same line of thinking allows Dockett to make positive big plays as well. During the playoff run last year Dockett had some of the biggest plays of the playoffs. I am not surprised that Dockett does well as a DE in the 3-4, he has the perfect body time for the position. He is 285 lbs but he is extremely atheletic guy for that size. I believe Dockett has the quickest first step off the snap of anyone in the league. He is a very good pass rusher, and good at finishing the play in the backfield. At times it seems like he gets "tired" but I think the lack of depth behind him causes a lot of that. With a healthy Watson, and experienced Iwebema he might have his best year.

Calais Campbell
Thank you Antonio Smith. You played well and all, but it is time to bring in the new talent. 6'8", 282 lbs, only 22 years old, and fast enough to play on kickoff and punt teams. If you are still thinking about this years Calvin Pace, I am talking about Antonio Smith, then you are living in the past.

Calais Campbell has everything you want in a 3-4 DE. Speed, quickness, and size. Campbell is only 22 years old, and is still growing. The biggest concern about this kid is his experience level, and maturity. I look at Campbell playing this year as an upgrade in ability, and a downgrade mentally. But defensive's can be learned, and you can't teach 6'8" 282 lbs. I think Campbell will turn in a solid season this year, and use it as a stepping stone to blast off as top notch DL'man in the NFL.

Kenny Iwebema:
I personally like Iwebema. He is a little too small to play DT, or NT but seems to be a good solid depth guy for either DE spot. He didn't do too much that brought attention to me last year. Which I equate to a "solid year" because nothing made me say "Wow" but nothing made me say "OH NO".

Iwebema came to the Cardinals as a project and I believe the Cardinals will keep working with him to provide depth for the rest of the line.

Kellen Dykes:
The talk around this kid is his power. Dykes is said to be very strong, and that is a good thing IMO. At 294 lbs he might just be too small to play NT, and right now the coaches are saying he took advantage of Iwebema and Dockett being absent at OTA's.
You can never have too much depth on the DL, and a guy that is noted for his strength is always a good thing. Dykes who has been on the practice squad for the Cardinals will probably be on the practice squad again, or if he works really hard may find his way onto the final 53, which I personally would like to see.

Jason Banks:
Jason Banks impressed me during last year's preseason games. I would put him in the same place as a Kellen Dykes type, and right under Iwebema. Banks has some size at 6'5" and 300lbs. The Cardinals used him at DE mostly, and he played a little at NT. While didn't rack up the tackles, he was very good at keeping the offensive line off our linebackers and taking up space. I hope that Banks stays on our practice squad this year. He has some raw skill that show potential for Banks to make an impact for the Caridnals need be.

Rodney Leisle:
I noticed something that Whiz does with his roster. His "bottom of the depth chart guys" all have one thing in common. A nasty attitude, and a lot of "will" Leisle is supposidly an undersized defense lineman that tries to make up for his physical short comings with effort and attitude. I don't expect this guy, who has been out of the NFL for a while, to do anything more than push every who is in front of him on the chart harder because of his effort. It will be a shock for Leisle to make the practice squad.

What I like most about Arizona's defensive line unit is that they have a good mix. They have speed, they have power, they have youth, and they have experience. The one thing this current unit has is the ability to do more in a zone blitz scheme. You are not going to ask Dockett and Campbell to go out into coverage a lot but they will be asked to do it in a zone blitz scheme, and can pull it off. Campbell has the speed, and wingspan to be a royal pain in the arse to any QB if he drops back off the line in a Zone Blitz.

The one place I am concerned is with the NT position. Alan Branch is a such a mill stone around the units' neck because he is so bad that it makes no sense to ever use him, but it leaves us with 1 and 1/2 NT's on the roster. It is not a huge concern but it is one of the weaker points on the defense.

Hopefully the Cardinals can use there speed, and improve there discipline (like we saw in the playoffs) to improve at a unit this year. The ability to get off the field is a big concern with everyone and it starts at the DL.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good analysis of each, with the exception of Branch: That was simply a tirade of epic proportions. Review the tape of the Miami game, before hobbled by an ankle injury, and the final Seattle game; you'll have a better appreciation of why he's still with the team.

This is not the type of player easily dismissed, or whose contributions going forward are of little consequence.

P.S. - I'm not saying that the Cards don't have a right to expect more, but this is someone who came out early, had a few nagging injuries and, from everything I've read, has immense natural abilities.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Good analysis of each, with the exception of Branch: That was simply a tirade of epic proportions. Review the tape of the Miami game, before hobbled by an ankle injury, and the final Seattle game; you'll have a better appreciation of why he's still with the team.

This is not the type of player easily dismissed, or whose contributions going forward are of little consequence.

P.S. - I'm not saying that the Cards don't have a right to expect more, but this is someone who came out early, had a few nagging injuries and, from everything I've read, has immense natural abilities.

I stuck up for this waste of time and effort all last offseason, and the effort that was put in by Mr. Branch was unacceptable. I have a list of reasons why the Cardinals should keep working with Branch, but unless the bucket of rocks that guy calls a brain starts to care about his job none of it matters, IMO. I am not lost on the fact Branch has the skills and size to be the next Ted Washington, which is a BIG deal.

Branch got plenty of un-deserved praise from me last year, this year I gave him what he earned last year.

Last edited:

Shogun

Never doubt Mitch. EVER.
Reaction score
Alan Branch is a waste. He is a waste of a draft position, he is a waste of a roster spot, he is a wast of potential, a waste of God given ability, a waste of time in the weight room, a waste of time on the practice field, and a wast of money to pay his salary. Mr. Wendell Bryant part II is a horrid football player. Branch has been given all the oppourtunities that any NFL player would ask for and he done nothing with it because he doesn't care about anyone but himself, and he doesn't even care about his own name that much cause he is disgracing himself. After a horrible rookie campaign were the coaches publicly questioned his will to be a NFL football player, he followed it up with showing no effort last offseason, and losing a starting job that was practically given to him by way of injury last year. He has all the tools, size, and ability you need to no only make it in this league but be one of the best at his position. Instead he is a fat, lazy, slob who only is on this team because it costs too much to cut his worthless butt. So, Alan Branch will spend another year as a fat ugly cheerleader on the side lines. Wasting this teams money, wasting a roster spot, and wasting his NFL career that any intelligent person would jump at the oppourtunity. Alan Branch is going to be a leach on the Arizona Cardinals belly for just a little longer, and then the minute he is expendable we will finally be rid of this free loading, lying, cheating, worthless, bastard of a NFL player. And from me personally, screw you Mr. Branch, there are alot of people these days that would work hard for the oppourtunity and money you are getting for doing nothing. You are a disgrace to the game, and every hard working person in this country. You are a free loader, liar and a cheat.
You must be registered for see images attach

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:lmao:

Nice write-up.

I'll keep hoping Branch does something until they show him the door. No real reason not to.

Watson was commanding some double teams last year in the playoffs, more time away from the operating table will help. Looking forward to him playing more.

Like the depth along the line a lot so far, but I'm wondering what the focus of the line will be this year? Penetration, occupation, or both? Right now, Campbell, Watson, and Robinson all look like better occupiers, who will keep the LB'ers from having to wade through too much garbage.
Dockett plays both phases really well and is pretty much an all around stud.

The question is, based on what the coaches know about the player's strengths and weaknesses will they fit the scheme to match the players or try to fit round pegs in square holes (which does occasionally work)?

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Rodney Leisle:
I noticed something that Whiz does with his roster. His "bottom of the depth chart guys" all have one thing in common. A nasty attitude, and a lot of "will" Leisle is supposidly an undersized defense lineman that tries to make up for his physical short comings with effort and attitude. I don't expect this guy, who has been out of the NFL for a while, to do anything more than push every who is in front of him on the chart harder because of his effort. It will be a shock for Leisle to make the practice squad.

I dont think at 6-3, 315 lbs is small for a 34-DE.

lauraw

"Vincere, Aut Mori" !
Reaction score
Something sticks in my craw about a post I wrote earlier this year about Gabe Watson and how excited I was about him now being healthy.. I was pumped up about him being able to play a whole game and how that would help our defense and said I looked forward to Watson playing 60 minutes.. I got creamed about substitutions, well he'll play 15 minutes maybe..unbelievable I know KW doesn't play 60 minutes, no player plays 60 minutes.. I'm a female but I'm not stupid Oh, by the way RM, excellent post once again!!!