10 thoughts - Rams game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – Chunk play after chunk play after chunk play after… Yiiiihaaaa!

2 – Rodney Hudson made Aaron Donald into a ghost.

3 – Where has the pass rush gone since the first game against the Titans? Do you sell Chandler Jones? What can you get? A third and a questionable player?

4 – In the words of the honorable Cheesebeef: “this team FINALLY has the type of athletic FREAKSHOW that can single-handedly drive defenses crazy.” #KMurray

5 – Four snaps on defense for Zaven Collins. Color me unimpressed. To put it mildly.

6 – Per Nextgen stats, Chase Edmonds had the best efficiency grade of all runningbacks this round, meaning he was a great north/south runner, and the second highest rush yards over expected. Also per Nextgen stats, James Connor used the least time behind the line of scrimmage of all.

That is the kind of run game that Gandhi likes.

7 – Did you see A.J. Green’s and DeAndre Hopkins’ celebration? And Hopkins’ and Kyler Murray’s? I am telling you, there is some sort of Bruce Lee-Karate Kid-Ninja thing going on in the squad.

8 – Josh Jones humiliated in pass blocking all game.

9 – It is a strange paradox that the run defense completely shut down Derrick Henry, who is widely considered the best runningback in the NFL and who have run wild in the other three games this season, yet against the Vikings (okay, good running game), the Jaguars and the Rams they are dominated.

10 – Jalen Thompson appreciation thought.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hudson is great but In the plays i remember Didn't see Aaron Donald lined up against Hudson

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget where I saw it but I saw somewhere they said one of the game plans was to leave Jones more single blocking on his side so that they had an "extra" guy to help on Donald or anybody on Humps' side. The idea was basically like a RB where they tell the RB we are always going to have less blockers than defenders(QB and RB aren't blocking) so you have to make the first guy miss. By doing that they were able to not chip that much which meant they could put more guys in the pattern.

Jones absolutely had issues but it sounds like they went into the game knowing that and planning on if they had to rolling Kyler away from that side to give him a bit more time. Definitely the worst game from Jones but also by far the best DL he'd faced.

Does make you wonder about the Browns game, they have an excellent DL

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1 – Chunk play after chunk play after chunk play after… Yiiiihaaaa. Yes!

Shut him down.
3 – Where has the pass rush gone since the first game against the Titans? Do you sell Chandler Jones? What can you get? A third and a questionable player?
Defense appears to try and take the biggest threat out of the game. Yards between the 30’s don’t matter. Preventing td’s does.
4 – In the words of the honorable Cheesebeef: “this team FINALLY has the type of athletic FREAKSHOW that can single-handedly drive defenses crazy.” #KMurray
And he’s just scratching the surface.
5 – Four snaps on defense for Zaven Collins. Color me unimpressed. To put it mildly.
I couldn’t care less who gets more or less snaps. Wins and losses is all that counts.
6 – Per Nextgen stats, Chase Edmonds had the best efficiency grade of all runningbacks this round, meaning he was a great north/south runner, and the second highest rush yards over expected. Also per Nextgen stats, James Connor used the least time behind the line of scrimmage of all.

7 – Did you see A.J. Green’s and DeAndre Hopkins’ celebration? And Hopkins’ and Kyler Murray’s? I am telling you, there is some sort of Bruce Lee-Karate Kid-Ninja thing going on in the squad.

9 – It is a strange paradox that the run defense completely shut down Derrick Henry, who is widely considered the best runningback in the NFL and who have run wild in the other three games this season, yet against the Vikings (okay, good running game), the Jaguars and the Rams they are dominated.

The kid played like a beast!

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought the AJ green celebration was him holding his giant balls. A bunch of players did it after the interception too. Was the only thing I took away from the act of holding hands together, low, swaying side to side.

HomerPimpson

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Hudson is great but In the plays i remember Didn't see Aaron Donald lined up against Hudson
Hudson eating up guys like a giant pacman in the middle frees up a lot of guys to double team Donald. We needed it, because Jones was awful on the right side.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Humphries, Pugh and Hudson.. pretty good.

Garcia and Jones? Not so much. Need to get Jones back to G somehow, someway.
First games in the nfl, needs some time to get better, personally i don't think he was so bad, lost couple of one /one

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
This is what Kingsbury's offense looks like when he has some receivers. Imagine if there was a consistent running game.

Donald made some plays, but I also saw Aaron Donald defeated a few times with single blocks.
At the game, the kept showing graphics for how long it took Stafford to release the ball. It was often right around 2.0 seconds. It's hard for any team to get a good rush in 2.0 seconds.

I said this to by older bro @Redrage last night: If the Cardinals ever find themselves in the position of needing a franchise QB, I expect them to do WHATEVER it takes to get one. No more passing on Aaron Rodgers because you like Josh McCown. You take that franchise player first and foremost.

I think Vance is using him as a situational player right now. It really doesn't matter too much, because unless you move on from Hicks, you're paying him anyway. The Cardinals are winning right now so it's barely a concern.

6 – Per Nextgen stats, Chase Edmonds had the best efficiency grade of all runningbacks this round, meaning he was a great north/south runner, and the second highest rush yards over expected. Also per Nextgen stats, James Connor used the least time behind the line of scrimmage of all. That is the kind of run game that Gandhi likes.
The two headed monster that some of us thought would be good enough, HAS been good enough. The reason? The run is more a complimentary part of this offense. This is a passing team first.
7 – Did you see A.J. Green’s and DeAndre Hopkins’ celebration? And Hopkins’ and Kyler Murray’s? I am telling you, there is some sort of Bruce Lee-Karate Kid-Ninja thing going on in the squad. Missed it :(

Tough game, but the Rams are a good ball club and they were bringing it. Jones is better at guard and Beachum should be back soon.

9 – It is a strange paradox that the run defense completely shut down Derrick Henry, who is widely considered the best runningback in the NFL and who have run wild in the other three games this season, yet against the Vikings (okay, good running game), the Jaguars and the Rams they are dominated. Most of the game, the Cardinals only had two down lineman. It's pretty hard to stop the stretch zone when you have less ass on the field.

10 – Jalen Thompson appreciation thought. Jalen Thompson is the Cardinals secret superstar. That's a bit of hyperbole, but the guy makes routine plays excellently. Now if he can start making some turnovers, he'll be a legit star. I think he stopped two TDs in the Vikings game alone.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the kid is a human cheat code. just LOVING watching him grow. He's doing EXACTLY what great players, ALL-TIME players do... taklng major leaps every season. last season it was with his legs, this season it's in the pocket. The only thing that can derail him is injuries.

and speaking of, Ouchie and I were talking about that yesterday. there was a play where he got seven yards and then went to the sideline. I think a couple years ago I would have furrowed my brow a little bit, peeved that he could have gotten a little more. Now, doesn't really bother me a bit. Kyler is pretty damn smart out there and knows better than anyone what his body can and can't handle. He's the future for a decade. I trust that in the times he REALLY needs to get that extra yard, he's going to go for it. If not, he's in it for the long haul and so am I.

I just couldn't be more excited about a player in any professional sport than I am with Kyler. A QB with an upside that is HOF... and a skill set that defies anything that came before him between the combo of his speed, quickness, moves AND passing ability? That's a unicorn folks. Unicorns tend to win titles. That right... multiple titles.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the kid is a human cheat code. just LOVING watching him grow. He's doing EXACTLY what great players, ALL-TIME players do... taklng major leaps every season. last season it was with his legs, this season it's in the pocket. The only thing that can derail him is injuries.

and speaking of, Ouchie and I were talking about that yesterday. there was a play where he got seven yards and then went to the sideline. I think a couple years ago I would have furrowed my brow a little bit, peeved that he could have gotten a little more. Now, doesn't really bother me a bit. Kyler is pretty damn smart out there and knows better than anyone what his body can and can't handle. He's the future for a decade. I trust that in the times he REALLY needs to get that extra yard, he's going to go for it. If not, he's in it for the long haul and so am I.

I just couldn't be more excited about a player in any professional sport than I am with Kyler. A QB with an upside that is HOF... and a skill set that defies anything that came before him between the combo of his speed, quickness, moves AND passing ability? That's a unicorn folks. Unicorns tend to win titles. That right... multiple titles.
I been trying to avoid mentioning titles. But I would like to see Murray take some records. One in particular is 500 yd passing games. They have become more common with the rules changes the past twenty years. But the steel city rapist holds the top spot with 4,,, three during season and one in the playoffs.... I don’t feel good about that guy having any records so I would like to see Kyler stack up a few 500 yard games and take that record for himself. We have the receiving options to make it very doable.... if he wants to get one in the playoffs to tie that, cool.... and if he wants to do it in the super bowl so Brady ain’t all alone that’s cool too.... just so long as it’s more than 4 overall.... he’ll, get 552 and pass YA Tittle

Jay Cardinal

Die Hard Cardinals Fan
Reaction score
I'm so proud of JT's play. The man is everywhere. I was severely concerned about the safety play outside of Budda, and JT has exceeded all my expectations! He's got that Tony Jefferson swag to his play that we have been missing since he and Swearinger left.
I agree. This is the first year in several that I have watched a good amount of teams other the Cardinals. I think Thompson is playing at a pro bowl level. Probably won't get it this year, but he doesn't have a weakness to his game.

With the way the NFL works, seems like next year he will get the nod. He plays coverage and the run equally well, hits hard and most importantly for a safety -- hasn't got burned over the top.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I wouldn’t say anyone on our offensive line got “humiliated” it wasn’t long ago the Rams front would dominate us, but this is the first time I can remember us pushing them around. I remember Floyd beating Jones once and that didn’t result in a sack.

The lack of a pass rush is my biggest concern but honestly I think it’s by design. Why? Who F’ing knows. When was the last time we flat out brought the house on obvious passing downs? I see us on 3rd and long rush 4 and drop guys all the time. Why? We play so conservative up front it’s just head scratching

Kyler Murray is Asian

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I couldn’t care less who gets more or less snaps. Wins and losses is all that counts.

I disagree. Well, obviously not on the winning-is-everything-part, but I don’t think success is sustainable if you don’t hit on your high draft selections. Yes, the salary cap is completely irrelevant now, but there is still a fight of getting your desired free agents on the open market, as well as the fact that the best players rarely ever get to the market. I think that drafting well is the key to a team’s long-term success.

That said, I am not trying to claim that Zaven Collins is a bust. Not at all. That would be crazy. I am just wondering why a first round draft selection, that was very clearly explained with how he could step right into the lineup, play four snaps.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm so proud of JT's play. The man is everywhere. I was severely concerned about the safety play outside of Budda, and JT has exceeded all my expectations! He's got that Tony Jefferson swag to his play that we have been missing since he and Swearinger left.

PC, it is actually a fun secondary, right? I mean, with Jalen Thompson and Byron Murphy clearly taking a step or two up, and Budda Baker is obviously very fun to watch. I even think Marco Wilson is fascinating, although it is partly based on the fact that he is a rookie. I did not expect this secondary at all before the season.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the AJ green celebration was him holding his giant balls. A bunch of players did it after the interception too. Was the only thing I took away from the act of holding hands together, low, swaying side to side.

Someone did the rock the baby thing but I don't remember if that was AJ or not.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Well, obviously not on the winning-is-everything-part, but I don’t think success is sustainable if you don’t hit on your high draft selections. Yes, the salary cap is completely irrelevant now, but there is still a fight of getting your desired free agents on the open market, as well as the fact that the best players rarely ever get to the market. I think that drafting well is the key to a team’s long-term success.

That said, I am not trying to claim that Zaven Collins is a bust. Not at all. That would be crazy. I am just wondering why a first round draft selection, that was very clearly explained with how he could step right into the lineup, play four snaps.

Yeah, I can't get on the 'it doesn't matter cuz we're winning' train either. You have put it in such a way that you are a kinder/gentler @Chopper0080

:Dold

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
PC, it is actually a fun secondary, right? I mean, with Jalen Thompson and Byron Murphy clearly taking a step or two up, and Budda Baker is obviously very fun to watch. I even think Marco Wilson is fascinating, although it is partly based on the fact that he is a rookie. I did not expect this secondary at all before the season.
I have huge hopes for Marco Gandhi! Think we got a player there bro....

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was. I just saw a micd up clip and they are calling the ball baby girl. Swinging my giant balls was better. Oh well.

I think it was after Buddha got the fumble recovery?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't see it before but after the diving catch by Chase is overturned on replay it's 3rd and 16, one of the Rams I think it's #52 not sure he's clearly yelling something at Kyler presumably talking crap and Kyler turns away and goes to the next play where he then breaks the ankles of #41 turns the corner for 18 yards gets out of bounds and calmly walks back in staring at the guy who'd been yelling at him just prior to the play! I rewatched the first half last night on NFL network(taped it) and I don't recall seeing that before you can see it as they announce the play is overturned the ball is ruled incomplete.

Absolutely love it, guy taunts you just turn your back on him and then rip the heart of the defense out on the next play!

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In many ways, he’s been our best defensive player this season outside of Murphy. He’s been all over the field & then some. This is what I expected of him, but injuries have held him back. If he stays healthy, he’s a huge contributor this year.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First games in the nfl, needs some time to get better, personally i don't think he was so bad, lost couple of one /one
He was pretty bad. If we had a traditional pocket passer, Jones would have gotten him killed. As someone stated earlier, our offense expects KM to always make the 1st guy miss. And that guy belonged to Jones all day.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was pretty bad. If we had a traditional pocket passer, Jones would have gotten him killed. As someone stated earlier, our offense expects KM to always make the 1st guy miss. And that guy belonged to Jones all day.

Yes but to be fair it sounds like that was almost by design. they were so scared of having Donald wreck the game with sacks and turnovers that they decided they would not let him do it so the scheme was make sure Donald is covered and make someone else beat them man to man. That guy was Floyd usually against Jones. At least 2 of the plays he did that Jones had to block inside and then try to get outside and was late, presumably because they were so worried about Donald. He also got beat by Floyd man to man he absolutely did get beaten but several of those plays as suggested it appears the plan is make sure Donald doesn't destroy us and then Kyler you make the first guy miss.

The one time donald got a clean shot at Kyler, Kyler made him miss and hit Chase for a gain. Great play.