10 thoughts - free agency

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – It would surprise me if they did not sign Jacoby Brissett. Worked with Petzing last year, one of the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL, and Ossenfort was involved in drafting Brissett.

2 – Please keep Zach Allen. By far my number one priority.

3 – Rumor has it that Byron Murphy is looking for 16 million per year. Don’t know if he is worth that. Maybe. Difference maker when he actually is on the field.

4 – I wonder if Gannon want to bring in edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue after having so much success with Haason Reddick. Ngakoue is basically Reddick in disguise.

5 – Will Hernandez should be a priority. Other than Humphries’ bounce back season, Hernandez were the most positive on the O-line.

6 – Sell Hopkins for a first round pick. A second seems too little for me – unless it is one of the top selections.

7 – Cornerback James Bradberry moving with Gannon from the Eagles, anyone?

8 – Special teams stars like Tanner Valejo, Zeke Turner, Charles Washington, and Chris Banjo should definitely be brought back.

9 – Many above average O-linemen (Jawaan Taylor, Nate Davis, Kaleb McGary, Donovan Smith, Dalton Risner), but most of them will get a lot of money, and they are simply not worth it.

10 – T.J. Edwards and Kyzir White has become two very good linebackers under Nick Rallis’ watch. Just saying.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
1. Makes sense. Better option than McCoy or Mayfield or Minshew or Blough or....
2. Depends on the price.
3. Probably not worth the $16 million.
4. Don't know.
5. See #2.
6. Not sure he commands a first round pick but it only takes one team to bite.
7. See #2.
8. See #2.
9. Don't know.
10. OK.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It is OK to have a wish list but there is no way I want to go heavy in FA. Use the draft to rebuild the roster. I do agree that Allen is priority one.
TR, I fully agree. I don't think that any of the players I mention will command top-of-the-market contracts, and I prefer to strengthen the team through smart deals. How do you think Gannon and Ossenfort will approach free agency?

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
We have $38 million cap room, need to spend it not on so called super stars but some basic decent starters especially OL and DL.
AZ, the salary cap doesn't matter. I guess that teams like to try to convince their fans that it does, because it can be used as an excuse for not getting player X, or to avoid paying player Y, but the reality is that the cap can be manipulated just as easily. The Cards could sign the three top paid free agents and still be fine in regard to the salary cap, if they wanted.

I know I have been beating a drum for several years, but don't just take my word for it. There are lots of articles about it, written by much smarter people than me.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
1 – It would surprise me if they did not sign Jacoby Brissett. Worked with Petzing last year, one of the better backup quarterbacks in the NFL, and Ossenfort was involved in drafting Brissett.

3 – Rumor has it that Byron Murphy is looking for 16 million per year. Don’t know if he is worth that. Maybe. Difference maker when he actually is on the field.

4 – I wonder if Gannon want to bring in edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue after having so much success with Haason Reddick. Ngakoue is basically Reddick in disguise.

5 – Will Hernandez should be a priority. Other than Humphries’ bounce back season, Hernandez were the most positive on the O-line.

6 – Sell Hopkins for a first round pick. A second seems too little for me – unless it is one of the top selections.

8 – Special teams stars like Tanner Valejo, Zeke Turner, Charles Washington, and Chris Banjo should definitely be brought back.

9 – Many above average O-linemen (Jawaan Taylor, Nate Davis, Kaleb McGary, Donovan Smith, Dalton Risner), but most of them will get a lot of money, and they are simply not worth it.

10 – T.J. Edwards and Kyzir White has become two very good linebackers under Nick Rallis’ watch. Just saying.
I agree with all of this except 6. Not that trading Hopkins is not the prudent thing to do, but thinking he will garner you a first... unless, maybe it's the Chiefs :)

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

#1 is likely
#3 he’s gone
#4 don’t see it
#5 at right price only, limited
#7 probably happens, but overpaid
#8 you can draft for this
#9 disagree on Risner

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave