10 thoughts - round one and day two.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I cannot add anything new and clever about Marvin Harrison that haven’t been said a million times before. He’s great. That’s all I got.

2 – Every year, my test of what I truly want at a certain pick is to see what goes through my mind when the Cards are on the clock. I can easily have confused myself in the weeks or days leading up to that, but my thoughts will never be clearer than in those minutes, where countless hours and hours of studying, researching, and considering are turned into a little moment of realization before the sign on the screen turns to either “the pick is in” or “trade.” And if it is “the pick is in,” then what do you wish Goodell to say? From he says, “with the X pick, the Arizona Cardinals select…” and until he says the name of the player, what do you hope to hear? That is my test, and this year I hoped for “the pick is in” and “Marvin Harrison.”

3 – It makes sense that fans haven’t analyzed and researched about Gannon’s scheme, and thus it can be explained with believing in the national media-stuff but understand that Nate Wiggins and Johnny Newton was never going to be the pick at #27. It just never made sense. If they take a flyer on Newton at some point, it will strongly indicate that Gannon and Ossenfort are not fully on the same page.

4 – In my mock draft, I wrote this about Robinson as consideration at #27:

“Defensive tackles Kris Jenkins, Michigan, and Darius Robinson, Missouri.
I have clustered these two together because my thoughts are exactly the same with them. I could see both being extraordinary picks who can contribute right away, and both also have major developmental potentials. They also both has skillsets that fits the Cards’ scheme very well.”

5 – My guess is that Robinson will play 4-tech in the defenses’ 5-1 formation, as he is already a force as a run defender. That is a defensive lineman that are lined up between the tackle and the guard – leaning most toward the tackle. It is the role that gave Josh Sweat his breakthrough- and career best season with the Eagles while Gannon was there. In that scenario, Robinson will slide out to a traditional DE-role in their 4-2 defense.

6 – Give me Kool-Aid McKinstry at #35! For the love of God, give me McKinstry! Other than that, the value is simply not there. Trade out. Get to about the middle of the round, which is where the value start.

7 – I think they need to get out of day two with an edge rusher. A pure edge rusher. Designated pass rusher. Some people like Mo Kamara, Colorado State, whereas I am a little more in favor of Chris Braswell, Alabama or Adisa Isaac, Penn State. The main point is, though, that they cannot rely purely on what they have. Dennis Gardeck have been my guy since they signed him as an UDFA, but let’s be honest – he cannot be upgraded as a special team player, but he can certainly be upgraded as a defender. And Zaven Collins and Dimukeje are still wildcards.

8 – I think they take one WR today. I think you can win with Harrison as #1, McBride #2, and Wilson #3, but at some point, the value will simply be too good to pass.

9 – Look for them to consider a TE today. H-back/TE is a major part of Petzing’s offensive scheme. Ben Sinnott, Kansas State, is the logic target.

10 – Just a hunch, but I could see the former DB coach Jonathan Gannon believe enough in his own abilities to coach up cornerbacks to not take one until the third round at the earliest.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m hoping we grab a rb like Wright today.
Could Brooks slide far enough because of injury to be this years Garrett Wilson?

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – I cannot add anything new and clever about Marvin Harrison that haven’t been said a million times before. He’s great. That’s all I got.

2 – Every year, my test of what I truly want at a certain pick is to see what goes through my mind when the Cards are on the clock. I can easily have confused myself in the weeks or days leading up to that, but my thoughts will never be clearer than in those minutes, where countless hours and hours of studying, researching, and considering are turned into a little moment of realization before the sign on the screen turns to either “the pick is in” or “trade.” And if it is “the pick is in,” then what do you wish Goodell to say? From he says, “with the X pick, the Arizona Cardinals select…” and until he says the name of the player, what do you hope to hear? That is my test, and this year I hoped for “the pick is in” and “Marvin Harrison.”

3 – It makes sense that fans haven’t analyzed and researched about Gannon’s scheme, and thus it can be explained with believing in the national media-stuff but understand that Nate Wiggins and Johnny Newton was never going to be the pick at #27. It just never made sense. If they take a flyer on Newton at some point, it will strongly indicate that Gannon and Ossenfort are not fully on the same page.

I have clustered these two together because my thoughts are exactly the same with them. I could see both being extraordinary picks who can contribute right away, and both also have major developmental potentials. They also both has skillsets that fits the Cards’ scheme very well.”

5 – My guess is that Robinson will play 4-tech in the defenses’ 5-1 formation, as he is already a force as a run defender. That is a defensive lineman that are lined up between the tackle and the guard – leaning most toward the tackle. It is the role that gave Josh Sweat his breakthrough- and career best season with the Eagles while Gannon was there. In that scenario, Robinson will slide out to a traditional DE-role in their 4-2 defense.

6 – Give me Kool-Aid McKinstry at #35! For the love of God, give me McKinstry! Other than that, the value is simply not there. Trade out. Get to about the middle of the round, which is where the value start.

7 – I think they need to get out of day two with an edge rusher. A pure edge rusher. Designated pass rusher. Some people like Mo Kamara, Colorado State, whereas I am a little more in favor of Chris Braswell, Alabama or Adisa Isaac, Penn State. The main point is, though, that they cannot rely purely on what they have. Dennis Gardeck have been my guy since they signed him as an UDFA, but let’s be honest – he cannot be upgraded as a special team player, but he can certainly be upgraded as a defender. And Zaven Collins and Dimukeje are still wildcards.

8 – I think they take one WR today. I think you can win with Harrison as #1, McBride #2, and Wilson #3, but at some point, the value will simply be too good to pass.

9 – Look for them to consider a TE today. H-back/TE is a major part of Petzing’s offensive scheme. Ben Sinnott, Kansas State, is the logic target.

10 – Just a hunch, but I could see the former DB coach Jonathan Gannon believe enough in his own abilities to coach up cornerbacks to not take one until the third round at the earliest.
About #10 - I'm not sure I trust that too much. For the first part of last year, their best CB was Kei'trel Clark and then mysteriously went to the bench for JAG's like Sterling Thomas. I know we joke about the coaches knowing way more than us armchair QB's but sometimes I wonder. lol.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I’m hoping we grab a rb like Wright today.
Could Brooks slide far enough because of injury to be this years Garrett Wilson?
Wright would be a fun player, but I wonder if he would be superfluous with Carter also on the roster. Granted, I think Wright has more upside.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Wonder what MHJ thinks of potentially drafting Dejuan. That’s autocorrected so that’s his name now. Sorry Coop. I’m not going to sit through any Ding Prod garbage because the music sucks and highlight films don’t really tell you anything.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I was a big Odunze fan, but even I acknowledged that Harrison was the safer pick. Harrison has been groomed to be an NFL player since a very young age.

I saw one analyst point out that the player closest to Marvin was his father. He plays a lot like his father did, but he's just a lot bigger.

Sign me up for a decade of that! I also saw his post draft interview where he talked about following in the footsteps of Larry Fitzgerald JR. Wow I got chills hearing him talk about how special that is.
I was slightly concerned it would be something silly, but I think the front office has a grasp on the team needs. WR was too big a need to pass up and it's great when value and need collide like that.
Agree on that. We just have so much information, but also so little. I know I saw a few people say that actual NFL teams were much lower on Newton than fans or PFF are.

Agree 100%.

The bigger need on the front seven was interior pressure. Offenses never had to worry about the Cardinals pushing the pocket into their faces last year. Now things look better with Justin Jones and Darius Robinson.
4T or 5T is where I see him, also as a 3T in an even front. Guys like that can really help a team because you don't have to have multiple guys to fill multiple roles.
Agreed. I think CBs go off the board in round two. If you wait until later, the pickings could be slim.
You know where I stand. Give me Mo Kamara sometime today. He's just such a a technically sound pass rusher and a top five guy if just look at the tape. He can rush speed to power or speed rush and has 4 or 5 pass rush moves he uses regular and already understands counters.

Braswell is probably a better bull rusher, but he's much less refined than Kamara because he has played a lot less.

I'm much lower on Issac. I think he's Victor Dimukeje.
Javon Baker is a guy to look at. Corley could also be a big help, since he could do the Rondale Moore stuff, but he's actually a beast of a guy.
I think the Cardinals wait until day three and take a guy like Tanner McLachlan. I know the Cardinals have talked to him and Daniel Jeremiah has raced about him. He tested really well and plays hard all of the time.
I could see that to be honest. Maybe the Cardinals wait and take some like Newton from TCU.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Can’t agree more on 6. Give me Kool-aid at 35! Also agree 8. I’m personally rooting for Brenden Rice in the third.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
About #10 - I'm not sure I trust that too much. For the first part of last year, their best CB was Kei'trel Clark and then mysteriously went to the bench for JAG's like Sterling Thomas. I know we joke about the coaches knowing way more than us armchair QB's but sometimes I wonder. lol.
BCF, I completely agree. I dream of McKinstry with their first pick today. I think the position is way too important, and the need is way too big, to wait until a bigger project shows up.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know where I stand. Give me Mo Kamara sometime today. He's just such a a technically sound pass rusher and a top five guy if just look at the tape. He can rush speed to power or speed rush and has 4 or 5 pass rush moves he uses regular and already understands counters.
Yeah, I know your view, Krang. It is not that I disagree, by the way. Going of gameplay only, Kamara is in the first round, no doubt. It is just that he have done it against oppositions that are lightyears from NFL teams, and his limitations make me worried. Say they get Kamara in the middle of the third round? Sign me up immediately!

With Braswell, I know for sure that he can get much better. He is good to go right out of the gate, but he also have a fantastic developmental profile.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yeah, I know your view, Krang. It is not that I disagree, by the way. Going of gameplay only, Kamara is in the first round, no doubt. It is just that he have done it against oppositions that are lightyears from NFL teams, and his limitations make me worried. Say they get Kamara in the middle of the third round? Sign me up immediately!

With Braswell, I know for sure that he can get much better. He is good to go right out of the gate, but he also have a fantastic developmental profile.
I'd argue, Braswell might be the pick at #35.

Ojulari as more of the finesse guy and Braswell as more of the power guy.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Exactly my thinking. Where do Kamara fit in? I am not sure. I would guess as Ojulari's backup, while a more powerful player takes right DE? Maybe even Darius Robinson when they are in a 4-2.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I was a big Odunze fan, but even I acknowledged that Harrison was the safer pick. Harrison has been groomed to be an NFL player since a very young age.

I saw one analyst point out that the player closest to Marvin was his father. He plays a lot like his father did, but he's just a lot bigger.

Sign me up for a decade of that! I also saw his post draft interview where he talked about following in the footsteps of Larry Fitzgerald JR. Wow I got chills hearing him talk about how special that is.

I was slightly concerned it would be something silly, but I think the front office has a grasp on the team needs. WR was too big a need to pass up and it's great when value and need collide like that.

Agree on that. We just have so much information, but also so little. I know I saw a few people say that actual NFL teams were much lower on Newton than fans or PFF are.

Agree 100%.

The bigger need on the front seven was interior pressure. Offenses never had to worry about the Cardinals pushing the pocket into their faces last year. Now things look better with Justin Jones and Darius Robinson.

4T or 5T is where I see him, also as a 3T in an even front. Guys like that can really help a team because you don't have to have multiple guys to fill multiple roles.

Agreed. I think CBs go off the board in round two. If you wait until later, the pickings could be slim.

Braswell is probably a better bull rusher, but he's much less refined than Kamara because he has played a lot less.

I'm much lower on Issac. I think he's Victor Dimukeje.

Javon Baker is a guy to look at. Corley could also be a big help, since he could do the Rondale Moore stuff, but he's actually a beast of a guy.

I think the Cardinals wait until day three and take a guy like Tanner McLachlan. I know the Cardinals have talked to him and Daniel Jeremiah has raced about him. He tested really well and plays hard all of the time.

I could see that to be honest. Maybe the Cardinals wait and take some like Newton from TCU.
Good follow up, thank you for putting forth the effort.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am expecting a CB, a OL, a WR, and a RB or LB with todays picks.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I'd argue, Braswell might be the pick at #35.

I don’t get the Braswell thing at least this early in the draft. For an undersized edge you’d think an explosive first step is paramount.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I don’t get the Braswell thing at least this early in the draft. For an undersized edge you’d think an explosive first step is paramount.
Hes the same size as Will Anderson. Same 40 time, a little quicker 10 yard split.

One thing that Braswell has in his favor is that even though he's pretty inexperienced, he still produced in the toughest conference.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You can be sure that he has been in first round consideration for several teams, GAZ. The thing about him is that he can produce right away, but still have a lot of untapped potential.

Reaction score
I'm a big Penn State fan. I just don't see IT with Adisa Isaac, and would be disappointed if he were picked in the second round. Third round, maybe. . .