Who Starts Week 1 at Wide Receiver?

Who are the Starting WRs Week 1?

• Troy Franklin (First-round pick)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman Wilson, MI (Second-day pick)

• Ja'Lynn Polk, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Jaylan McMillan, WAS (Second-day pick)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
simply because the point in going to the big game is to win. Danny never did. But Doug Williams won one.

unless you would be happy going to the SB but never actually winning?
The ultimate goal is to win, but losing in the Super Bowl makes you the second best tema in the NFL that season. Not a failure at all.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
1000 yards receiving with one of the best QBs in the NFL is one thing... and his absolute fall off of a cliff at the back half of last season is scary, given his age. It's also worth mention that Buffalo doesn't really have a #1 WR now, and was willing to let go of the guy for... not much.

What's done is done at this point though - at the end of the day this thread is about who starts for us week 1, and it's not going to be Diggs.

Ideally, what would you do right now if you were the Cardinals?
In reality you have to draft two WRs and hope one contributes immediately, and hope Wilson stays healthy. Signing a player like Tyler Boyd does nothing except waste money.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Disagree. I don't see Michael Wilson being better than Stefon Diggs over the next two years. I question whether the #35 pick will make a meaningful impact as well. I don't feel the Diggs contract is prohibitive. I want to win games.
This. In the best case scenario, Diggs comes in and gets the #3 job because he’s been beaten out by Wilson and MHJ.

Worst case scenario, Diggs is the #1 at the start of the season with MHJ and Wilson taking the best opportunities remaining. Diggs falls down the depth chart as his skills erode.

Wilson is under contract for another three years; what’s the rush?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Disagree. I don't see Michael Wilson being better than Stefon Diggs over the next two years. I question whether the #35 pick will make a meaningful impact as well. I don't feel the Diggs contract is prohibitive. I want to win games.
I think the problem is even if Diggs adds 3 wins a year all by his lonesome this year... where does that get us? 7 wins and no playoffs. I feel like we maybe marginally are in the might make the playoffs conversation, and then he'll be a year older... and meh.

It's time to stop operating like we can't even participate in the draft because we've been so terrible under Keim. I don't want to blindly trust Monti (I can promise you, I'm not), but the years of "I don't think our picks are going to do anything" really have to end. That #35 pick should be a day one starter and potentially a premium individual.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is an argument to argue. It is the argument made by someone who is not interested in actual discourse. It is a troll level argument.
No it isn't. It is to define what your description of a 'meaningful game.' The term is subjective, whether you want to engage or not.
Being the best player on a bad team doesn't make you a good player. Producing garbage time stats for a terrible team doesn't make you a good player. That doesn't mean the player can't be good, but they aren't yet.
True. However being the best player in the league at your position, on a bad team, doesn't not mean you aren't the best player at your position either.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
This. In the best case scenario, Diggs comes in and gets the #3 job because he’s been beaten out by Wilson and MHJ.

Worst case scenario, Diggs is the #1 at the start of the season with MHJ and Wilson taking the best opportunities remaining. Diggs falls down the depth chart as his skills erode.

Wilson is under contract for another three years; what’s the rush?
Diggs is not coming in and being the #3 on the Texans, and especially not here, no matter how much you want to argue "competition." It's too much capital, likely another contract, and too big of a name. He'd immediately become a locker room cancer if we did all of that and named him the #3.

The rush with MW is that he needs reps to improve. Every player needs reps - actual, on the field reps.

I guess my question back would be what's the rush in acquiring a vet WR? Do you really think Diggs is turning us into a playoff team or championship contender next year or the following, before age catches up?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
if Diggs adds 3 wins a year all by his lonesome this year... where does that get us? 7 wins and no playoffs.

Do you really feel like all else being equal we haven’t improved at all this offseason? Like with a top 5 pick, another first round pick, and a bevy of second day picks we’re the same team in 2024? A season where we made no effort to be competitive?

Diggs is not coming in and being the #3 on the Texans, and especially not here, no matter how much you want to argue "competition." It's too much capital, likely another contract, and too big of a name.

He’s coming in as a #2 or #1A on Houston. If he gets beat out here then you ship him off again. NBD—all you miss out on is the chance to draft the next BJ Ojulari.

“Too much capital” LOLOLOLOL
The rush with MW is that he needs reps to improve. Every player needs reps - actual, on the field reps.

Nah. The difference between a healthy #2 and a productive #3 WR is like 300 snaps over the course of a season, depending on the offense.

I guess my question back would be what's the rush in acquiring a vet WR? Do you really think Diggs is turning us into a playoff team or championship contender next year or the following, before age catches up?

Because I miss watching competitive football? Why are you against the team being better?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Do you really feel like all else being equal we haven’t improved at all this offseason? Like with a top 5 pick, another first round pick, and a bevy of second day picks we’re the same team in 2024? A season where we made no effort to be competitive?
Not by a ton, no. We've improved some, but in a hard division, I see the best case scenario being that we're in the hunt for a Wild Card at the end of the season. The suggestion of moving the top picks for a guy like Diggs makes me feel like we're sacrificing them for a short term gain. I don't feel if we paid a top pick and a contract for Diggs, that we'd take a top WR in the top 5 either... so that's part of my thoughts.

He’s coming in as a #2 or #1A on Houston. If he gets beat out here then you ship him off again. NBD—all you miss out on is the chance to draft the next BJ Ojulari.

“Too much capital” LOLOLOLOL
He'll be 1A. Nico Collins played very well, but is by no means going to start ahead of him. The wild thing is that Houston drafted him in the third round just 5 picks earlier than Michael Wilson in their respective years, and MW had a better rookie year. But Nico Collins actually got some time on the field to play. And this was just three years ago.

Sure, trash Ojulari, who the jury is still out on, but in other years that could be Trey McBride, Budda Baker, Calais Campbell... last year #35 was one away from Sam LaPorta. In 2022, Breece Hall, Christian Watson. 2021 - two away from Landon Dickerson. 2020, in close range of Tee Higgins, Michael Pittman Jr., DeAndre Swift, Xavier McKinney... Jonathan Taylor. All of these players have been significant contributors to NFL teams, and will be for years to come.

It's a high and important pick, like it or not. Not just trash you throw in for guys on the tail end of their careers.

Nah. The difference between a healthy #2 and a productive #3 WR is like 300 snaps over the course of a season, depending on the offense.
Yes, this depends on the role, and moving a pick for a guy with the same build that plays outside takes away those snaps.

Because I miss watching competitive football? Why are you against the team being better?
So do I, but the Kingsbury era just killed me that people called "competitive" while it was clear we were awful. I'd love to watch some competitive football with young players that have potential, not run back the JJ Watt concept where we give up a lot and still manage to lose. A situation where we're not dead last far and away in how successful our draft picks are.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Ok...I will bite.

Which WR group do you think is more likely to be better over the next two years?

MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal
Rookie mid round WR

AND pick 35

or

Diggs
MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal

WITHOUT pick 35
I think you're highly underestimating the notion that Diggs MIGHT just be hitting the wall. He was pretty bad most of last season and is hitting the point where most receivers start to suck.

I think the Texans just got worked in that trade. They just made a mistake in their rebuild.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think you're highly underestimating the notion that Diggs MIGHT just be hitting the wall. He was pretty bad most of last season and is hitting the point where most receivers start to suck.

I think the Texans just got worked in that trade. They just made a mistake in their rebuild.
What wall? 107 1118 8tds. Because he didn’t produce as much down the stretch? It is a two year deal and our best WR is Wilson. This board is crazy sometimes. People complain about being a losing franchise but don’t want to add talent at a minimal cost.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Nothing about that deal prohibits you from continuing to win games after two years.
I can't believe we're still doing this. What'd DeAndre Hopkins do for us? What'd he bring back in a trade?

It's almost the same situation. Kinda one cool Hail Mary win, and then... we cut him. For nothing. We didn't win a thing, we got nothing back.

Winning just a few games is such a waste of effort and time.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I can't believe we're still doing this. What'd DeAndre Hopkins do for us? What'd he bring back in a trade?

It's almost the same situation. Kinda one cool Hail Mary win, and then... we cut him. For nothing. We didn't win a thing, we got nothing back.

Winning just a few games is such a waste of effort and time.
Hopkins did nothing to prevent the Cardinals from winning games? He was even productive for the Titans. He did way more than Chad Williams, Rondale Moore, Marquise Brown or most other draft picks. How was it a waste?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
What wall? 107 1118 8tds. Because he didn’t produce as much down the stretch? It is a two year deal and our best WR is Wilson. This board is crazy sometimes. People complain about being a losing franchise but don’t want to add talent at a minimal cost.
He's going to be 31! With one of the best QBs in the NFL!

Sorry for the calamity, but there's a statistical wall that shows how poorly receivers function past the age of 30. I think all of us are thinking Cooper Kupp is about to see his end, as a guy on our rival team, who plays exclusively out of the slot, and took three years to manufacture production. He's likely usurped by Puka Nacua, younger than Diggs.

Diggs is the next useless guy, Keenan Allen is the only statistical anomaly since Fitz.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
What wall? 107 1118 8tds.
This is a case of cherry picking. He was phenomenal early in the year, and then proceeded to fall apart down the stretch.
Because he didn’t produce as much down the stretch? It is a two year deal and our best WR is Wilson.
It's not just the amount of years...the Cardinals would lose the 35th pick in a stacked draft class.
This board is crazy sometimes. People complain about being a losing franchise but don’t want to add talent at a minimal cost.
Yeah this board is crazy! All the Keim criticizers wanting to make Keim-like moves.

The most Keim move ever would be to trade a pick that ended up getting a good young players to only get like 8 good games from Diggs before he crumbles.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He's going to be 31! With one of the best QBs in the NFL!

Sorry for the calamity, but there's a statistical wall that shows how poorly receivers function past the age of 30. I think all of us are thinking Cooper Kupp is about to see his end, as a guy on our rival team, who plays exclusively out of the slot, and took three years to manufacture production. He's likely usurped by Puka Nacua, younger than Diggs.

Diggs is the next useless guy, Keenan Allen is the only statistical anomaly since Fitz.
Mike Evans, the trend seems to be that WRs that don't rely on speed and instead rely on physicality and route running, age better.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Hopkins did nothing to prevent the Cardinals from winning games? He was even productive for the Titans. He did way more than Chad Williams, Rondale Moore, Marquise Brown or most other draft picks. How was it a waste?
Hopkins was an absolute waste of money for the Titans, and will continue to be. Where are the wins?

We didn't draft Marquise "Hollywood" Brown and Steve Keim was absolutely the worst GM in the league. Asking me "how was it a waste" is wild, because Williams and Rondale both sucked, but we gave up a first rounder for Hollywood.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't think you actually keep up.

You must be registered for see images attach

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Ok...I will bite.

Which WR group do you think is more likely to be better over the next two years?

MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal
Rookie mid round WR

AND pick 35

or

Diggs
MHJ
Wilson
Dortch
Pascal

WITHOUT pick 35

Diggs hates Allen who is significantly better than Kyler. Don’t want him anywhere near this locker room.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This is a case of cherry picking. He was phenomenal early in the year, and then proceeded to fall apart down the stretch.

It's not just the amount of years...the Cardinals would lose the 35th pick in a stacked draft class.

Yeah this board is crazy! All the Keim criticizers wanting to make Keim-like moves.

The most Keim move ever would be to trade a pick that ended up getting a good young players to only get like 8 good games from Diggs before he crumbles.
I think it’s a 2025 pick.

I wish our new GM was like Houston’s. He got a “haul” for Watson, drafted the OROY and DROY, and is adding legit NFL talent to his team and now has them as contenders.

You say Diggs gives you 8 good games. Which is hyperbole low while acting like a 2nd round pick is a guarantee to play at a decent level in the NFL. Less than 50% of 2nd round picks make an impact in the NFL.

I know most would probably be upset to add a talent like Diggs and miss out on the chance to draft the next Rondale Moore, Andy Isabella, or Troy Niklas.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
I also think the diggs trade was a mistake for the Texans long term - but hey, I think the Texans see a window to make a push this year and maybe they aren’t wrong.

That said- I’m in the draft MHJ camp. I’m not against MHJ, McBride, Wilson with these other shifty water moccasins in the slot.

I know this is optimistic- but I think Wilson when healthy is a solid nfl receiver and could make the jump with 2 elite players (McBride and MHJ) on the field drawing attention.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison