OT: 2024 NFL Draft Rumors

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the trade I posted they get 3 first rounders and still end up with Odunze. I am surprised how little interest there is in that when the difference between Odunze and Harrison is minute.
I don't think the difference is minute. I think there is a clear gap. 3 first rounders is very enticing though.

With that said, I think the Bears also want a WR and likely would not do the trade, especially if Nabers is also off the board.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed completely, but even 3 1sts isn't enough. To trade out of the top 3 WRs, there had damned well be plenty more coming our way.
This is where I disagree. The only position in the league worth 3 firsts is a QB. We already have one of those.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

Mike Tannenbaum, ESPN Mock draft

4. Arizona Cardinals

J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan

Look, QB availability is crucial in today's NFL -- 66 passers started at least one game last season -- and Kyler Murray hasn't played a full season since 2020. I really like McCarthy's long-term upside. The 21-year-old averaged 9 yards per attempt and completed 72.3% of his throws last season, and he bulked up to 219 pounds at the combine. In short, I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

You might point to Murray's contract (which includes $35.3 million guaranteed for 2024 and $29.9 million guaranteed for 2025), but teams routinely eat substantial dead money these days for a better opportunity at the position. And besides, I think the Cardinals could get a first-round pick back in exchange for him -- stay tuned there, I might have something up my sleeve.

Mock projected trade: Vikings address their QB issue

Cardinals get: No. 11
Vikings get: QB Kyler Murray and No. 66 (third round)

I drafted J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 to take over under center for Arizona, so Murray becomes a trade candidate and Minnesota is still searching for QB answers after missing out on the top four passers in the class. I don't love the scheme fit for Oregon's Bo Nix in Minnesota, and it's too early for Washington's Michael Penix Jr.

So here's my proposition to clear some cap space for the Cards, officially start the McCarthy era in Arizona and fix the Vikings' QB issue. In my mind, the No. 11 pick for Murray straight up is too rich, and No. 23 -- Minnesota's other first-rounder -- on its own is not enough. So I'm attaching that third-rounder to the No. 11 pick to level this out. It's similar to what the Cardinals did during the 2022 draft, when they traded their first-round pick (No. 23) to Baltimore for receiver Marquise Brown and a third-rounder.

From the Vikings' standpoint, everything I said earlier about Murray's durability still matters, but he's cheaper and younger than Kirk Cousins would have been to re-sign and gives them a chance to compete this season rather than rebuild.

11. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade with MIN)

Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo

Mitchell had an outstanding combine, running a 4.33 in the 40, jumping 38 inches in the vert and posting a 10-foot-2 broad jump. I was also impressed with his Senior Bowl practice week. Mitchell has standout man-to-man skills and the ideal 6-foot-1 size to play outside corner. His ball production is elite, with 39 pass breakups and six interceptions over his time in college. Arizona signed Sean Murphy-Bunting, but this team struggled on defense (specifically against the pass) last season and needs more. The Cards gave up a staggering 7.6 yards per pass attempt (27th). Pairing Mitchell with Murphy-Bunting would make for a much-needed upgrade to the Cardinals' secondary.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like we shouldn't believe that MHJ isn't the top WR on some teams' boards?
Now that I do believe. Some GMs just fall in love with other talents. Or believe a certain fit is better. They will then rank accordingly.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
3 firsts IS enough when you are as devoid of talent as AZ is. That said, Monti has to have an agreement in place to trade back up to 7 for one of the WRs or he doesn't make the trade.
If the deal isn't with the Giants you can kiss getting one of the top 3 WR's goodbye.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I do believe. Some GMs just fall in love with other talents. Or believe a certain fit is better. They will then rank accordingly.
Exactly. There are 3 clear WRs at the top and lots of OL talent in this draft. If Nabers/MHJ are already gone and they draft at 9, I can see them taking the best player available and getting their OL later in the draft. It is the best draft for OL in a decade.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
perhaps the most pessimistic and cynical outlook, but not completely unjustified
How was this not the best thing for the team? Kyler was out half the year, we were not making the playoffs under any circumstances.

All things considered last season played out almost perfectly, we got the highest non QB pick in the draft and built some momentum at the end of the year while the coaching staff has gained the confidence of the players.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

4. Arizona Cardinals

Look, QB availability is crucial in today's NFL -- 66 passers started at least one game last season -- and Kyler Murray hasn't played a full season since 2020. I really like McCarthy's long-term upside. The 21-year-old averaged 9 yards per attempt and completed 72.3% of his throws last season, and he bulked up to 219 pounds at the combine. In short, I think he's a better, younger and more durable quarterback than Murray right now, and I'm not passing up this chance.

You might point to Murray's contract (which includes $35.3 million guaranteed for 2024 and $29.9 million guaranteed for 2025), but teams routinely eat substantial dead money these days for a better opportunity at the position. And besides, I think the Cardinals could get a first-round pick back in exchange for him -- stay tuned there, I might have something up my sleeve.

I drafted J.J. McCarthy at No. 4 to take over under center for Arizona, so Murray becomes a trade candidate and Minnesota is still searching for QB answers after missing out on the top four passers in the class. I don't love the scheme fit for Oregon's Bo Nix in Minnesota, and it's too early for Washington's Michael Penix Jr.

So here's my proposition to clear some cap space for the Cards, officially start the McCarthy era in Arizona and fix the Vikings' QB issue. In my mind, the No. 11 pick for Murray straight up is too rich, and No. 23 -- Minnesota's other first-rounder -- on its own is not enough. So I'm attaching that third-rounder to the No. 11 pick to level this out. It's similar to what the Cardinals did during the 2022 draft, when they traded their first-round pick (No. 23) to Baltimore for receiver Marquise Brown and a third-rounder.

From the Vikings' standpoint, everything I said earlier about Murray's durability still matters, but he's cheaper and younger than Kirk Cousins would have been to re-sign and gives them a chance to compete this season rather than rebuild.

Mitchell had an outstanding combine, running a 4.33 in the 40, jumping 38 inches in the vert and posting a 10-foot-2 broad jump. I was also impressed with his Senior Bowl practice week. Mitchell has standout man-to-man skills and the ideal 6-foot-1 size to play outside corner. His ball production is elite, with 39 pass breakups and six interceptions over his time in college. Arizona signed Sean Murphy-Bunting, but this team struggled on defense (specifically against the pass) last season and needs more. The Cards gave up a staggering 7.6 yards per pass attempt (27th). Pairing Mitchell with Murphy-Bunting would make for a much-needed upgrade to the Cardinals' secondary.

Mike "Click Bait" Tannenbaum

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In the trade I posted they get 3 first rounders and still end up with Odunze. I am surprised how little interest there is in that when the difference between Odunze and Harrison is minute.
I like it as well as me waking up one day to an agent signing me on, my book going on auction the next day, quitting my day job, and settling down for life as a writer. With Christina Hendricks divorcing her new beau and hitching her wagon to me. It's about as likely to happen. Nah, probably less likely.

I mean, living in fantasy land is free, man.

Stout

Reaction score
Speaking of QBs

4. Arizona Cardinals

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

If you want to go dumb, go big.

Stout

Reaction score
This is where I disagree. The only position in the league worth 3 firsts is a QB. We already have one of those.
We don't have WR talent, but folks want to trade away from the top talent. Here's to hoping #5, 6, or 7 WR is a star, a star we absolutely and desperately need. Why not, it's a deep draft at the position lol

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like it as well as me waking up one day to an agent signing me on, my book going on auction the next day, quitting my day job, and settling down for life as a writer. With Christina Hendricks divorcing her new beau and hitching her wagon to me. It's about as likely to happen. Nah, probably less likely.

I mean, living in fantasy land is free, man.
I have heard from sources that the difference between that life and your current life is minute.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We don't have WR talent, but folks want to trade away from the top talent. Here's to hoping #5, 6, or 7 WR is a star, a star we absolutely and desperately need. Why not, it's a deep draft at the position lol
Or Edge talent, or CB talent. We need a lot of help in a lot of places. More than just one player can fix. I think we can both agree on that.

3 first rounders. THREE!

Stout

Reaction score
Or Edge talent, or CB talent. We need a lot of help in a lot of places. More than just one player can fix. I think we can both agree on that.
Absolutely. What many here agree, however, is that a potent offense will help us paper over what's still an atrocious defense. We have a QB (we hope). We have a RB (if he can stay healthy). We have the makings of a good offensive line. And we have cat poo and hope at WR. Let's fix what we are in a perfect position to fix and on the side of the ball that most agree needs fixed this season, please.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
If the deal isn't with the Giants you can kiss getting one of the top 3 WR's goodbye.
If we trade down to 11 would love to trade up a few spots for odunze and then get latu some how those 2 players scream Monti ossenfort dudes. I am dreamin here but then get newton and the Kansas state guard. Wow there would be dancing in the streets

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson