New Luxury Field Level Experiences

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe. But right now the I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix north of Casa Grande is a catastrophe basically 100% of the time.
yeah I drove through there back in 2017 and it seemed to be due for a few more lanes even back then.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
These stadiums need to be in areas that people actually want to go to - aka, not Glendale or Maricopa.
no they dont. Fans will go to the stadium. You aint foolish enough to think people would actually prefer to drive downtown are you? Traffic was bad enough around SFS when it first opened with almost nothing around. adding city traffic makes it a full on nightmare...and parking?? oh yeah...thats a beaut.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
no they dont. Fans will go to the stadium. You aint foolish enough to think people would actually prefer to drive downtown are you? Traffic was bad enough around SFS when it first opened with almost nothing around. adding city traffic makes it a full on nightmare...and parking?? oh yeah...thats a beaut.
Do you have any idea how parking infrastructure works? There IS actually parking available downtown -that's how they can accommodate 60k+ on nights where the Dbacks have a playoff game and the Suns are playing! Further - the Cards play on Sundays! Where will all the traffic be? Have you driven to a Cardinals game on a Monday night? Trust me - it's a nightmare.

Having a stadium in the middle of nowhere in areas people don't want to be solves no problems.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Do you have any idea how parking infrastructure works? There IS actually parking available downtown -that's how they can accommodate 60k+ on nights where the Dbacks have a playoff game and the Suns are playing! Further - the Cards play on Sundays! Where will all the traffic be? Have you driven to a Cardinals game on a Monday night? Trust me - it's a nightmare.

Having a stadium in the middle of nowhere in areas people don't want to be solves no problems.
contradictions abound

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For football, location isn't quite as much an issue for the 10 games usually on a weekend as it is for the other sports.

Maricopa would be awful, given the horrendous traffic and lack of alternatives.

Not sure how many come up from Tucson, but it can't be many. All the friends and family I know in Tucson aren't Cards fans anyways

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Have you driven to a Cardinals game on a Monday night? Trust me - it's a nightmare.

contradictions abound

You can decide on your own values how desirable it is to create another concrete island to support 10-11 dates a year; I feel like we already make enough urban planning decisions to accommodate (and encourage) cars.

The problem isn't so much distance, it's ingress and egress. Using tax money to make it easier for 70k people to get into and immediately out of Maricopa for 10 days a year makes no sense at all. Put the damn thing on the Light Rail line.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
You can decide on your own values how desirable it is to create another concrete island to support 10-11 dates a year; I feel like we already make enough urban planning decisions to accommodate (and encourage) cars.

The problem isn't so much distance, it's ingress and egress. Using tax money to make it easier for 70k people to get into and immediately out of Maricopa for 10 days a year makes no sense at all. Put the damn thing on the Light Rail line.
agree. they had just started the light rail when I moved. History has taught me to never rely on Phoenix for quality public transportation. But a parking structure with a dedicated line to the stadium would be pretty cool. with transfers from other trains for those that dont want to drive.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
agree. they had just started the light rail when I moved. History has taught me to never rely on Phoenix for quality public transportation. But a parking structure with a dedicated line to the stadium would be pretty cool. with transfers from other trains for those that dont want to drive.

I don't know what happened with Turf Paradise back in the day (maybe it was still viable). Today that's basically where the Phoenix Rising play and it's a great and fun way to get into and out of a game. I'm sure it's a little trickier when you're hosting 4x as many people and want to encourage tailgating and control the additional development opportunities.

Unfortunately, fans come last when these decisions are made.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't know what happened with Turf Paradise back in the day (maybe it was still viable). Today that's basically where the Phoenix Rising play and it's a great and fun way to get into and out of a game. I'm sure it's a little trickier when you're hosting 4x as many people and want to encourage tailgating and control the additional development opportunities.

Unfortunately, fans come last when these decisions are made.
Was just at Turf Paradise on Monday, you say the Rising play there??? Live racing M-F started back up in January. 19th Ave and Bell?

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Was just at Turf Paradise on Monday, you say the Rising play there??? Live racing M-F started back up in January. 19th Ave and Bell?
It’s at the swap meet location on 32nd and Washington. I think there was a dog track there at one point. Maybe a goat oval? I dunno, some animal.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
It’s at the swap meet location on 32nd and Washington. I think there was a dog track there at one point. Maybe a goat oval? I dunno, some animal.
Yes Park and Swap was, maybe still is, located at Phoenix Greyhound Park. Got it

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
So who will pay the big bucks for these luxury seating locations? I have club seats and a good majority of them are empty.
My thoughts also. We moved our club seats from the visitor's side to the home side and there were SOOOO many available. I'm guessing for the Super Bowl people will pay big $$$ for those casitas.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
My thoughts also. We moved our club seats from the visitor's side to the home side and there were SOOOO many available. I'm guessing for the Super Bowl people will pay big $$$ for those casitas.
Yeah it's kind of crazy. Look at the skyboxes on a game day and a lot of them are dark/shuttered, also. I imagine that this program will cannibalize a lot of those results.

I think there's a cross pressure where they luxury box experience isn't luxe enough (especially when the on-field product is execrable), so the ultra-rich/mega-corporations who would buy those are now backing away from their 10-year contracts at renewal.

I think this is a way to get those guys back on the hook.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think the Cards need to take an idea from the Phoenix Open

the 16th hole is now completely enclosed by expensive boxes....... except for a couple sections of gen admission, first come / first served

they maintain the atmosphere

the Cards could have a couple field level sections where if you buy have nosebleed season tix, you get 1 set game per season down at the field level

We have one of those boxes now. It was amazing

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I live in North Scottsdale but have no issue driving to Glendale for the games. I could care less where the stadium is located as there are only 8 or 9 regular season games to attend. Much easier getting in and out of the games for me than it was at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Again I fully believe @Brian in Mesa is a better fan than me. He does that 1+ hour commute each way and never misses.

I just have zero desire to go to Glendale
Chris is it due to nothing to do there after games, or do you just hate the city that much? I don't know the ins and outs of the cities in Arizona unfortunately. It's just for me, my thought is it's a matter of the game and nothing else.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chris is it due to nothing to do there after games, or do you just hate the city that much? I don't know the ins and outs of the cities in Arizona unfortunately. It's just for me, my thought is it's a matter of the game and nothing else.

Its the awful commute either through Phoenix or around it. Going to a football game represents a 6-8 hour commitment on a Sunday. It's brutal when you have a kid

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Its the awful commute either through Phoenix or around it. Going to a football game represents a 6-8 hour commitment on a Sunday. It's brutal when you have a kid
Yeah. It’s tough if you’re not invested for the day. But if you tailgate and make a day of it, the kids make a nice memory and want to come back.

Weeknight games are an utter catastrophe and are a 10-hour commitment.

OP
OP
TruColor

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
How is it coming in from the north (Prescott)? Hoping to get to some games this season.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson