Cardinals Head Coaching Candidates 2023

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with you having an opinion, but the support seems rather flimsy, given the lack of firm evidence.
Then prove me wrong. Find one item I said doesn't exist.

Folks said the same about Kylers teammates, and it took under 90 seconds to refute that. Shouldn't be hard to find something to refute my opinion.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Then prove me wrong. Find one item I said doesn't exist.

Folks said the same about Kylers teammates, and it took under 90 seconds to refute that. Shouldn't be hard to find something to refute my opinion.

See: #2501

And you made the initial assertion. The burden is on you to prove it.

Good luck PROVING that VJ never took KK aside for chats.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found a quote about KK by VJ.

On Tuesday, Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph met with reporters and offered his two cents on the criticism that Kingsbury has endured thus far:

"I think that comes with the profession. I think when you have a start like we have had offensively, it's gonna be out there. Quite frankly it should be. We should play better and we all know that, so week in and week out we all feel like we're kind of coaching for our job in this profession, and we gotta get better on offense. It's part of our job, first of all. Most coaches don't read it or listen to it. You can't, because it's just part of the job. The team's not winning, we're 2-4 and that's part of the territory. Obviously coach [Kingsbury] is a good coach. He's been a good coach for a long time. That hadn't changed," Joseph said. "He's coaching, he's focused, he's confident, so it's gonna turn and as a coach, you have to just keep your head on and keep working. Right now, I think it's 10 teams that has winning records, so it's a different year. It's an even year, and this team's in it. It was a rocky offseason to say the least, so to watch this offseason and assume that it was going to be smooth early? You're a fool."

Glowing review!

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

On Tuesday, Cardinals defensive coordinator Vance Joseph met with reporters and offered his two cents on the criticism that Kingsbury has endured thus far:

"I think that comes with the profession. I think when you have a start like we have had offensively, it's gonna be out there. Quite frankly it should be. We should play better and we all know that, so week in and week out we all feel like we're kind of coaching for our job in this profession, and we gotta get better on offense. It's part of our job, first of all. Most coaches don't read it or listen to it. You can't, because it's just part of the job. The team's not winning, we're 2-4 and that's part of the territory. Obviously coach [Kingsbury] is a good coach. He's been a good coach for a long time. That hadn't changed," Joseph said. "He's coaching, he's focused, he's confident, so it's gonna turn and as a coach, you have to just keep your head on and keep working. Right now, I think it's 10 teams that has winning records, so it's a different year. It's an even year, and this team's in it. It was a rocky offseason to say the least, so to watch this offseason and assume that it was going to be smooth early? You're a fool."

Glowing review!

Do you expect a 'glowing review' when the team was 2-4?

It was, in fact, fair and balanced, given the circumstance.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would like to see the Cards offer Vic Fangio the job. I would offer it to BA first but I don’t think he would come back.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think there are several explanations for this. One is that Kyler was injured for basically all of HK. Two is that I think Kliff and Kyler's relationship had deteriorated to the point that it was less useful to have Kliff in the QB room than managing elsewhere. Three is that Kliff I think decided that he needed to be less hands-on with the offense and let people do their work so that he could do Head Coach Stuff.

Hard Knock is about building narratives. Jared Goff said on Slow News Day that the only request he had for them last training camp was for them to stay out of the QB room; a request they respected. Maybe they were told not to film Kyler and Kliff.

I'm sure Vance has contacts all over the NFL and can easily bring in a new staff of defensive assistants. These guys don't need to be chess champions; position coaches are usually focused on teaching and fundamentals.
It just seems like needless shuffling. I get position coaches are just position coaches but those guys are teaching concepts to support the scheme. How many guys are out there that Vance can handpick to work with the DBs to play the coverage and style he wants? Especially when he already had two on the staff.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Glowing review!
Interesting that his take was the offense needs to get better, but nothing about the defense. Vance low-key throwing Kliff under the bus, there.

Red on White

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Being unfamiliar with the sport, I'm really interested in how the dynamic between coaches works in football

How close would an OC and DC be?

Most sports when you have the ball everyone is on offense. When the other team has the ball everyone is on defense. So there's naturally overlap. Total football

Whereas American Football literally has different teams looking after the different phases. Do they operate in silos most of the time? Or is it all integrated?

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like I said the Cardinals cast their net so far and wide that by the time they pulled it back in and it was empty all of the big fish had swam off to somewhere else. Flores went for the sure thing.
Unlike Lou & Kafka, Flores didn’t have a current Coordinator job to go back to in the event the Cardinals didn’t pick him. You can’t necessarily blame the Cardinals or Flores for how this played out. If the Cardinals were dead set on Flores, then I’m sure they would have pulled the trigger and hired him. I’m thinking that maybe Flores wasn’t the clear cut front runner as many thought he was.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being unfamiliar with the sport, I'm really interested in how the dynamic between coaches works in football

Most sports when you have the ball everyone is on offense. When the other team has the ball everyone is on defense. So there's naturally overlap. Total football

Whereas American Football literally has different teams looking after the different phases. Do they operate in silos most of the time? Or is it all integrated?
They practice against each other and have to game plan during those practices, so fluid communication is required. Since the Cardinals didn't ha e a true OC, KK and VJ would need to work together there. Also, KK being the HC, he should/would have involvement in game planning on both sides of the ball.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Offense and defense have nothing in common. I don’t even think they even have meetings in the same room. Definitely don’t know each other’s playbook. OC call the offensive plays and DC calls the defensive plays.

Some cases the OC and DC literally hate/annoy each other because they each know each other’s weaknesses.

I still remember Buddy Ryan throwing that punch at Kevin Gilbride because the offense couldn’t stay on the field to close out a game and the defense had to stay on the field to a point someone on the defense got injured which made Buddy Ryan livid.

Jasper

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
They practice against each other and have to game plan during those practices, so fluid communication is required. Since the Cardinals didn't ha e a true OC, KK and VJ would need to work together there. Also, KK being the HC, he should/would have involvement in game planning on both sides of the ball.

I think KK being OC and HC was one of the causes of his ultimate undoing especially for a rookie HC. I don’t mind KK calling plays but its just too much work to be OC and HC at the same time.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think KK being OC and HC was one of the causes of his ultimate undoing especially for a rookie HC. I don’t mind KK calling plays but its just too much work to be OC and HC at the same time.

Agreed! He should have brought one in this last off-season.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Just reading the chatter from SB week on Twitter I unfortunately think that VJ sticks around either as DC or DBs coach. Its moves like this which show this organisation is clearly happy to continue to be mediocre.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Its a team. But they can get divided if one side continually lets the team down.
You can probably google a video of Buddy Ryan punching his teams OC in the head on the sidelines back in the nineties