2021 1st round pick is Zaven Collins

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually think it’s the opposite. Reddick needed to develop the instincts to play ILB and never did. Collins is an instinctive player, but he probably will eat himself out of the NFL is he’s really 270.

if Keim is going to jam him on the outside he’ll wash out before he has a chance to.

It also depends on how many positions they throw at the kid. I’m hoping that they can get him back to 260 and have him play ILB next to Simmons

He’ll have time to develop behind Hicks

BigDavis75

Making a Comeback
Reaction score
I think we were picking in a rough spot but I was really concerned about the lack of speed in our front 7. I think Collins goes a long way towards solving that at least and golden and chandler likely aren’t long term
solutions for those positions.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Meh. Could be a good pick if he actually gets to play and doesn't ride the bench like Simmons. :shrug:

We still a need a corner badly. :( I think a wide receiver would be a good idea as well as I don't have much confidence in A.J. Green.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Keim Time:

He was the 3rd highest rated player outside the QB's. We are lucky and thrilled to see him available.

If that is true, its grounds to fire Keim and his entire scouting department on the spot.

He is so full of crap, I can barely stand it at this point.

If they legit had Zaven Collins....a small school LB without big time production....who wasn't even a first round prospect until 2 weeks ago....ranked THIRD out of Chase, Smith, Waddle, Sewell, Pitts, Horn, Surtain, Parson, Slater, and AVT.....then they are just plain not good at their jobs.

I would happily eat crow if we are looking back in 4 years and Collins is the 3rd best player out of that group. More likely we are talking about how we aren't picking up his 5th year option.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think we were picking in a rough spot but I was really concerned about the lack of speed in our front 7. I think Collins goes a long way towards solving that at least and golden and chandler likely aren’t long term
solutions for those positions.

how? he is Slow. That is by far my biggest problem with him.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
If they legit had Zaven Collins....a small school LB without big time production....who wasn't even a first round prospect until 2 weeks ago....
neither of those statements are true

PFF, the Athletic, Jeremiah all had him as a first round prospect

and he had lots of production -- he won pretty much every defensive award in college football this year

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
Cards should have hit the phones the second Horn went to the Panthers. Absolutely baffling that we didn't trade up. Not a fan of this pick at all. Keim loves to draft LBs he never uses.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
PFF:

With the linebacker position in the NFL getting smaller and smaller in recent years, Collins is a decidedly different animal. At 6-foot-4, 260 pounds, Collins has throwback thumper size combined with modern athleticism. His performance this past year for Tulsa was nothing short of special. He consistently made plays in coverage, with four picks and a pass breakup in only eight games. His best attribute when projecting to the next level, though, is what he can do as a blitzer — running backs aren’t blocking this dude. He’s going to be high on any blitz-heavy team’s draft board and will wreak havoc on opposing offenses.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson