A Choice Growing in Popularity

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Azeez Ojulari, a speedy Edge Rusher is starting to show up as a popular Cardinal choice. There is quite a bit to like about him. Like Reddick he is fast and agile. He will accumulate sacks & pressures. Unfortunately, like Reddick, he is willing to play the run but has not been successful defending it. I’m not certain that he or Reddick can add enough muscle to hold up in run defense. To me he is a situational pass rusher, not an every down player. This is also a large part of why I wouldn’t franchise Reddick. I don’t like taking a situational player at 16. I can see why they like him, I just think there are better choices available, though not Edge Rushers.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love when this team uses the draft not to add to the team, but to replace guys who have already at least proven something on the field at the same position and have now been let go.

great way to stay running right in place!

Last edited:

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Recently it's been more to replace guys who have proven nothing on the field at the same position we drafted the year prior.
As bad as that is, at least you’re trying to fill a void instead of creating a void to fill it.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I love when this team uses the draft not to add to the team, but to replace guys who have already at least proven something on the field at the same position and have now been let go.

Agree. Keep Reddick and improve another position. (Note - given these weird times, there's no such thing as "having too much depth" at any roster spot.).

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
i guess the issue i have with Ojulari is that in the NFC West -- all three teams you compete with are run first teams that will gladly hand it off over and over (see Seattle game #2, SF game #2, LAR game #2)

so if he is on the field, he is a liability vs the run, which means you may never see 3rd down.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Jayson Oweh. His name should be first when discussing EDGE players for the Cardinals IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I will admit, Rousseau is growing on me a bit more. I am not sold yet, but I am looking a little bit harder.

football karma

Reaction score
Jayson Oweh. His name should be first when discussing EDGE players for the Cardinals IMO.

i think if he was on the edge, plus a healthy CJ, plus a healthy Jordan Phillips: the Cardinal run defense improves significantly

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score
i think if he was on the edge, plus a healthy CJ, plus a healthy Jordan Phillips: the Cardinal run defense improves significantly

Oweh certainly has potential but he’s very raw. He’s not adept at diagnosing plays, which means he’ll struggle in run defense. He needs to add strength, but has the frame for it. Initially he figures to primarily play on passing downs, but will need to be screen play conscious. He’s got plenty of speed and agility. Like Ojulari he could be a plus but is too underdeveloped for me to like him at 16. I’d put Ojulari ahead of him as a rusher but both would be fine in round 2 though they will likely be gone by the Cards’ pick.

football karma

Reaction score
Oweh certainly has potential but he’s very raw. He’s not adept at diagnosing plays, which means he’ll struggle in run defense. He needs to add strength, but has the frame for it. Initially he figures to primarily play on passing downs, but will need to be screen play conscious. He’s got plenty of speed and agility. Like Ojulari he could be a plus but is too underdeveloped for me to like him at 16. I’d put Ojulari ahead of him as a rusher but both would be fine in round 2 though they will likely be gone by the Cards’ pick.

both are players that would be good after a trade down rather than #16

if the top corners and WRs are all gone at 16, it pretty much guarantees that a really good OL prospect is there -- and i would prefer that to what would be a developmental edge guy, even if the edge guy has a higher ceiling

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

Reaction score

if the top corners and WRs are all gone at 16, it pretty much guarantees that a really good OL prospect is there -- and i would prefer that to what would be a developmental edge guy, even if the edge guy has a higher ceiling

Certainly an option, maybe even going so far as early in the second. However I’m hearing the Cards are seriously looking at WR if the top 2 corners are gone. Likely one of the Bama guys if they fall or Toney. That’s what the scouts & services are being asked to weigh in on.

football karma

Reaction score
Certainly an option, maybe even going so far as early in the second. However I’m hearing the Cards are seriously looking at WR if the top 2 corners are gone. Likely one of the Bama guys if they fall or Toney. That’s what the scouts & services are being asked to weigh in on.

Waddle and Toney would give the team something it really lacks: YAC explosiveness

if teams are going zone, and, favoring Hopkins side

they need someone who can catch a 7 yard pass, make their zone defender miss and get another 15

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Limited production, essentially one year, but he is young, ideal size, speed and length, has a decent motor from what I can tell, and has already developed some moves. Not a finished product but I see some Aldon Smith / Demarcus Ware in their. And he will only be 21 this year. He doesn't have elite burst, but neither do guys like Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter or Zadarius Smith.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

I would rather get my pick of EDGE players at 16 than trade down and get the leftovers.

I do think you have to project a bit when it comes to Ojulari, Oweh and Rousseau. None of these guys have year after year production, but all have been dominant at times. Rousseau and Ojulari with stats and Oweh with pressures. And to Harry's point, they are all very raw.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Limited production, essentially one year, but he is young, ideal size, speed and length, has a decent motor from what I can tell, and has already developed some moves. Not a finished product but I see some Aldon Smith / Demarcus Ware in their. And he will only be 21 this year. He doesn't have elite burst, but neither do guys like Chandler Jones, Danielle Hunter or Zadarius Smith.
But the thing is, Rousseau has no bend....like at all. You could talk me into him playing DE, but not EDGE like at all.

football karma

Reaction score
I would rather get my pick of EDGE players at 16 than trade down and get the leftovers.

I do think you have to project a bit when it comes to Ojulari, Oweh and Rousseau. None of these guys have year after year production, but all have been dominant at times. Rousseau and Ojulari with stats and Oweh with pressures. And to Harry's point, they are all very raw.

its hard not to be intrigued by Rousseau and Oweh

and they are very Kiem-y in that he LOVES guys with elite measurables/tools but need some development

that being said: if the team doesnt win win 9 games next year, he knows he is gone.

I think he grabs a high floor guy who can come in and contribute right away

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
But the thing is, Rousseau has no bend....like at all. You could talk me into him playing DE, but not EDGE like at all.
What I noticed is that he was rarely asked to run the arc to the QB. Most of his plays came from using his length to lock out linemen and make an inside move to the QB. The other area where he was used by Miami was as an interior rusher either using a T-E stunt or lining him up inside and letting him just beat the OG straight to the QB.

There was one play vs Central Michigan where I thought he showed some nice bend. He was lined up in a 0 over the C, looped around the outside of the RG, and showed enough bend to knock the ball out of the QBs hand as the QB was stepping up to throw the ball. There was another play that I think showed a little of his ability to flatten out. Vs VTech he knocked the TE down inside the T, disengaged and then bent around the T and flattened to the QB.

You could be right, but I just don't feel like I have seen him try to run the arc to the QB and not have the bend to do it. It doesn't seem like that was how he was used in Miami and not his preferred style which is more about using his length to win vs speed.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
its hard not to be intrigued by Rousseau and Oweh

and they are very Kiem-y in that he LOVES guys with elite measurables/tools but need some development

that being said: if the team doesnt win win 9 games next year, he knows he is gone.

I think he grabs a high floor guy who can come in and contribute right away
I do agree that Keim may be hesitant to add a defensive player in round 1 after the Vance/Simmons fiasco last year.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score

This, and all those one year 'prove it' deals which never meant anything, unless they were proving it for another team to sign them... the Cards then being reluctant to reward success and keep a guy

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do agree that Keim may be hesitant to add a defensive player in round 1 after the Vance/Simmons fiasco last year.

Hardly a fiasco.

The first thing a rookie has to prove is that he's not a liability. Without a training camp, Simmons was confused in the early part of season. As he adjusted, he played more and by the end of season we could see the "potential" on the rise.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Hardly a fiasco.

The first thing a rookie has to prove is that he's not a liability. Without a training camp, Simmons was confused in the early part of season. As he adjusted, he played more and by the end of season we could see the "potential" on the rise.

Yeah, not at all what happened. Early season? Sure, it's understandable why he didn't find the field often. As the season progressed? VJ should have been using him at least steadily, if not outright scheming to his strengths. Instead VJ still kept him off the field quite often. Stupidly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson