Rams trade Goff, 2 1sts for Stafford

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
"As long as McVay is there, Rams are going to be good for a loooooooooong time. He & the Rams FO are so good at identifying talent in the middle rounds that it damn near doesn’t matter they won’t have 1st rounders. I wouldn’t be shocked if both them & Niners make a SB again in the next 4 years."

Agree with DVontel 100%. The Rams haven't had a first round draft choices since 2016 and their roster hasn't suffered one bit. Combine a talented roster with McVay's coaching and you have a team that will continue to be playoff caliber.

As testament to high degree of respect that the rest of the NFL community has for McVay, in the last 2 years, three of his assistant coaches have been hired as head coaches; Matt Lafleur at Green Bay, Zac Taylor at Cinncinati, and this year Brandon Staley at San Diego. In addition, his quarterback coach was just hired as the offensive coordinator for Seahawks.

I sure don't see any teams rushing to hire any of the Cardinal assistant coaches. Maybe they know something that Kingsbury and Keim don't.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s called purgatory. I’m glad we don’t have that.

I would much rather be in the Rams’ position than Seattle’s.

Chris’ point wasn’t that he’d rather be in the Hawks position than the Rams. It was he’d rather be in either position than ours.

a 5-11 to 8-8 team is true purgatory.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Stafford is not going to win a championship or evan the division with the Rams. He’s not a winner, he’s a stat machine. Been that way since college. Rams seriously overpaid.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chris’ point wasn’t that he’d rather be in the Hawks position than the Rams. It was he’d rather be in either position than ours.

a 5-11 to 8-8 team is true purgatory.
Cheese, my guy, I knew what his point was the first time. My point was I don’t be what Seattle is right now & what they have been the past 5 years. Sure, they won enough games to get into the playoffs, yet, they continuously go out sad every time due to Russ not carrying the mediocrity surrounding him. Having to pick late in the draft & draft bums or trading valuable picks for good, but very limited players. Him saying “I wish we had that type of failure” um, nah, I don’t at all. I wish we were where the Rams are at. Great & aggressive FO, talented team, & overall good coaching staff. Adaptive.

The Pete Carroll Seahawks are currently playing the role of the Mike McCarthy Packers, & have been for the past 5 years.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Cheese, my guy, I knew what his point was the first time. My point was I don’t be what Seattle is right now & what they have been the past 5 years. Sure, they won enough games to get into the playoffs, yet, they continuously go out sad every time due to Russ not carrying the mediocrity surrounding him. Having to pick late in the draft & draft bums or trading valuable picks for good, but very limited players. Him saying “I wish we had that type of failure” um, nah, I don’t at all. I wish we were where the Rams are at. Great & aggressive FO, talented team, & overall good coaching staff. Adaptive.

The Pete Carroll Seahawks are currently playing the role of the Mike McCarthy Packers, & have been for the past 5 years.

You have a very interesting way of looking at the Seahawks lack of "success". It's just very interesting to me that someone would point to the Seattle situation as anything other than sustained success, which is something that ZERO of our teams have maintained outside of the Suns many moons ago.

You may prefer the Rams methods to Seattle, but the results are equivalent, and to call one purgatory is just ridiculous.

Purgatory is 5 straight years of not making the playoffs, with Murray going super saiyan as really our only chance of competing.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Honestly think Seattle just had a bad draw in the playoffs. Rams always make life hell for Russell Wilson.

I'm sure Seahawks fans are more upset about this than us.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

They are the Don Nelson bucks of the NBA too. Team won enough games to make the playoffs every year and then lost to a lower seed, and never had a high enough draft pick to get better.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
They are the Don Nelson bucks of the NBA too. Team won enough games to make the playoffs every year and then lost to a lower seed, and never had a high enough draft pick to get better.
Yea, I’m not getting what’s so hard to understand. Super Bowls are hard, sure, but the fact that Russell Wilson & especially Aaron Rodgers will probably retire with 1 ring each is absolutely insane.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, I’m not getting what’s so hard to understand. Super Bowls are hard, sure, but the fact that Russell Wilson & especially Aaron Rodgers will probably retire with 1 ring each is absolutely insane.

With Rodgers I think they thought they were being smart not using high picks on WR's because he's so good he can make average WRs look good. The problem with that is Davante Adams made it abundantly clear how good Rodgers would be if you gave him really good WR's, 4 of the last 5 years in double digits on TD's with really not much else. This year he turned a 3rd year TE from Indiana State into a double digit TD guy. If I'm the Pack I have to be wondering if we'd just taken a couple of higher pick Wr's over the years how much better would we have been?

Seattle same thing they relied on Russ to stock their defense and not use high picks on offense as much but now they have to be thinking seeing how good DK is, should we have gotten him more help on offense?

It worked for Brady but that's the GOAT, with a GOAT coach, neither GB or SEA had that level of coach.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understood what you were saying. Bowtie only looked at profit margin. Fans who only picked up the Cardinals once they moved to AZ should have some understanding of that since Bowtie was running the show for a few years before Michael took over.
Thank you. I did a poor job explaining the 1st time around. That's what I get for staying up past my bedtime:cool:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I understood what you were saying. Bowtie only looked at profit margin. Fans who only picked up the Cardinals once they moved to AZ should have some understanding of that since Bowtie was running the show for a few years before Michael took over.
I understand that Bill wasn't a very good owner. I suffered through the bad AZ years just like most of us. I continue to suffer. Mike is a different guy, pumping money and renovations into the franchise.

The entire reason 2000's Aeneas Williams TD return against the Redskins was supposed to be so big is that it got us a stadium and the ability to actually pay for the team and our players.

2005-2015 was all-in-all a pretty good time to be a Cardinals fan. Now we're deep into a decade of ineptitude.

Anyone saying they don't wish they were the Seahawks right now is kidding themselves. At least they're in the playoffs and have a shot to get hot. Any given Sunday kind of stuff. We're hoping and praying for a wild card shot.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
2005-2015 was all-in-all a pretty good time to be a Cardinals fan. Now we're deep into a decade of ineptitude.

Mike B has made the Cardinals into an average NFL franchise -- one of those middle 20 or so

given where they came from, its something

while i know Mike B wants to win a Superbowl, my only question is how uncomfortable he is willing to get to win one

im not talking about money either

like his dad, he prefers hiring someone he knows for positions of authority rather then bringing in an outsider

if Keim goes next year -- does he bring in someone from, lets say, the Ravens to be the GM -- or does he promote Quentin Harris or Adrian Wilson?

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

Facts Chopper. Pundits have been forecasting the downfall of these clowns for years, and I, like a dummy continue to buy it. Then when we proceed to get swept by McVay annually and fail to make strides in the division. I realize just how far off from competing with the teams in our division. Depressing it is.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The same is said about every big money deal or trade the Seahawks make also. “They will rue the day!” posts have just become comical at this point as we just sat out the playoffs for 5 years in a row while the Rams and Seahawks have been there 4 of the last 5 years.

100% Organizational :(

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That was said about the Cooks deal, the Gurley contract, and the Ramsey deal and they are still competing every year. Does it limit their ability to sign mid-level players but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

The BUT is a huge factor you are glossing over.

Even the best talent evaluators can't expect UDFAs like Darious Williams to get 6 interceptions on the regular. Or Jordan Fuller, a 6th round pick, to play over 700 quality snaps. I think some of you aren't seeing that the Rams had a semi-Cinderella season. They had to replace quite a few significant contributors, and almost every instance saw a major upgrade, even when they were relying on UDFAs or 6th rounders to step in. Even for teams with spectacular talent evaluators, that can't be expected.

And Snead has been AWFUL at his extensions. Gurley's big contract. Cook's contract. Goff's contract.

Where they are fortunate is that they have one of the single most disruptive front seven players (Aaron Donald) in the history of football.

They also found a great young coach in Staley, and are replacing him with Morris....who has never had the success that Staley has had.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
if Keim goes next year -- does he bring in someone from, lets say, the Ravens to be the GM -- or does he promote Quentin Harris or Adrian Wilson?
If he does, that'll make me furious.

I've brought up in other threads that we've had the same basic continuous front office since Bob Ferguson in 1996. 25 straight years of internal hires, who have learned under the same structure. Time to change it up.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he does, that'll make me furious.

I've brought up in other threads that we've had the same basic continuous front office since Bob Ferguson in 1996. 25 straight years of internal hires, who have learned under the same structure. Time to change it up.
100% this

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
but as long as they get league average production with their other picks, they are fine.

i think they have exceeded league average production the last two years -- and im not sure if thats anything other than luck

Les Snead has been drafting for a while, and like most, he has been very up and down. Yes he drafted Aaron Donald, but only after taking Greg Robinson 2nd overall.

1st rounds picks are a coin flip on if they will be solid NFL starters beyond their first contract. The odds go down pretty dramatically after that.

i think its a certainty that their roster will get less talented over the next three offseasons

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
i think they have exceeded league average production the last two years -- and im not sure if thats anything other than luck

Les Snead has been drafting for a while, and like most, he has been very up and down. Yes he drafted Aaron Donald, but only after taking Greg Robinson 2nd overall.

1st rounds picks are a coin flip on if they will be solid NFL starters beyond their first contract. The odds go down pretty dramatically after that.

i think its a certainty that their roster will get less talented over the next three offseasons
The Rams have drafted 29 players over the past three drafts despite trading away first round picks. The Cardinals have drafted 23. The Rams get comp picks because their FA's get signed elsewhere. (they probably get a 3rd and 4th this year) They also are getting picks for the front office guy who got hired. People are overvaluing 1st round draft picks and undervaluing having a higher number of draft picks. The Rams are getting out of the 1st round lottery ion exchange for proven players and then acquiring more 2nd to 7th round picks. This gives them more opportunities to hit even if they are harder picks to hit on.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The Rams have drafted 29 players over the past three drafts despite trading away first round picks. The Cardinals have drafted 23. The Rams get comp picks because their FA's get signed elsewhere. (they probably get a 3rd and 4th this year) They also are getting picks for the front office guy who got hired. People are overvaluing 1st round draft picks and undervaluing having a higher number of draft picks. The Rams are getting out of the 1st round lottery ion exchange for proven players and then acquiring more 2nd to 7th round picks. This gives them more opportunities to hit even if they are harder picks to hit on.

Maybe we'll adopt a half assed version of this to copy the Rams, as we did with head coach!

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't understand this move by the Rams. Goff is younger and has been productive. Plus shown success in playoff games. Stafford is good, but older and 0-3 in playoff games. Plus the Rams lose future hjgh draft picks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson