The Simmons Hit

Reaction score
How?

How does the kick going in or going wide change the outcome of the last drive? Either way we were playing to stop them. Either way they are playing for a FG.

This is about the 100th time we have had the game in our hands with a few minutes left and Kliff has played this super cautious, don't lose the ball, run the clock down and kick a FG to tie crap when the win was there to be had with a TD.

The only game we didn't was vs the Bills and thats because there was only 40 seconds left and he was forced to go for it.

If the kick is good they are starting from the 25. We also arn't calling a time out for them. Changes everything with how they decided to play it out.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If the kick is good they are starting from the 25. We also arn't calling a time out for them. Changes everything with how they decided to play it out.
Or with our special teams they are starting at the 50. Or maybe we are watching their returner score a TD.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
It was a penalty because Newton was goin out of bounds and essentially giving himself up and Simmons blasted him as he was going out of bounds instead of just giving him a push. They will throw a flag on that every time especially since it was a QB. Stupid decision by Simmons.
Former head of officiating (Mike Pierrera) disagrees with you. As well as many other talking heads.

This reminds me of when Adub got the PF in Baltimore a decade ago on Todd Heap. Man does that bring up a bad memory for @cardsfanmd @PACardsFan @Cbus cardsfan and I who were in attendance. It really sucks when a BS penalty puts the opposing team in FG range for a last second FG.

That was BS then...... And this hit was total BS now.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Former head of officiating (Mike Pierrera) disagrees with you. As well as many other talking heads.

This reminds me of when Adub got the PF in Baltimore a decade ago on Todd Heap. Man does that bring up a bad memory for @cardsfanmd @PACardsFan @Cbus cardsfan and I who were in attendance. It really sucks when a BS penalty puts the opposing team in FG range for a last second FG.

That was BS then...... And this hit was total BS now.

Even if the hit was legal, and I think it was borderline, the decision by Simmons to hit him was a poor one. Cam was clearly going OB so why take a chance on a penalty by hitting him the way he did. Once again, whether it's Newton or any other QB in the NFL, you hit them the way Simmons did when they are clearly going OB the chances of getting flagged are pretty high. It's just the way officials are calling those plays especially when it's a QB.

The NFL has drilled into the officials that QBs should be protected and that's how they are calling it. To take a chance on hitting them as they go OB is just plain stupid.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even if the hit was legal, and I think it was borderline, the decision by Simmons to hit him was a poor one. Cam was clearly going OB so why take a chance on a penalty by hitting him the way he did. Once again, whether it's Newton or any other QB in the NFL, you hit them the way Simmons did when they are clearly going OB the chances of getting flagged are pretty high. It's just the way officials are calling those plays especially when it's a QB.

The NFL has drilled into the officials that QBs should be protected and that's how they are calling it. To take a chance on hitting them as they go OB is just plain stupid.

The penalty was a helmet to helmet hit, and it wasn't borderline
When the tackle started Newton was in bound, and I prefer when a defender lay a clean hit even if the qb is running out of bound

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That Simmons vs Cam play is up on Youtube for review:

Cam Newton TRUCKED By Isaiah Simmons - YouTube

He is a QB running the ball, not a RB running the ball. Protecting the QB---even if he is running the ball downfield---is a league priority. Notice how the Pat sideline reacts to seeing Cam have his world rocked by Simmons. That is the reaction of a team protecting their QB. A RB getting hit like that would not draw near the protective reaction from the Pats sideline. That sliver of green before Cam got clocked doesn't count when it is a starting QB.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder of the officals try to balance out their bad calls by going with the team that got burned on the bad call.

I thought the block on the runback was a great play by the Pat player---didn't see anything illegal about it. The tape would make a good training tape for the right way to do it. Of course, the officals threw the flag and really gave the Cards a huge break by bringing the ball all the way back down the field.

Simmons hit on Cam could go either way. Plenty of arguments that Cam was a runner, not a QB. Also, looks to be green along the sidelines so Cam was still a target for a hit. But . . . the officals had to cover up the bad mistake on the return that went the Cards way.

Of course, that may just be my imagination that the officals try to even out a bad call by adjusting the judgement on another one.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Of course, we will. That flag on the punt return block was in our favor. That's the way they all are supposed to go. That flag on Simmons vs Cam was against us and we are required by the code of football fans everywhere to bitch and moan . . . for years to come.

Now this is funny!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I thought that was a legal block on the punt return. The guy planted his foot and hit him in the front.

These players have to be confused on who and how to hit players.
Because the letter of the law states that is a penalty. Is it a stupid rule? I would say yes, but it's another one that has been added in for player safety. A player cannot have his back to his end zone and move towards the other end zone and make a forceful block. It's the rule maybe a stupid one but it's the rule.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson