Chris Simms Unbuttoned - Cardinals

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is worth a watch. Starts off with breaking down the Seahawks game but moves on to talking about Simmons, the Cards offense in general and Kyler.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brit, that's Phil's son, Chris. He's on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports, 9-11 AM (ET), Monday-Thursday. I enjoy Chris and the show.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, that's Phil's son, Chris. He's on Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports, 9-11 AM (ET), Monday-Thursday. I enjoy Chris and the show.

Sorry thats what I meant. Getting my Simms mixed up :)

I watch PFT every day. It's one of the few NFL talk shows broadcast here. It used to be the only one, but GMFB is on daily now too.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Great video...thank you for posting.

Interesting feedback on Cardinal offense (scheme = nothing special).

I think that's partly fair. Kliff is good at play design and he does have an pretty varied playbook but it's not as inventive as Andy Reid, Shanahan etc

Simms covers the reasons why. He doesn't use enough motion. Doesn't do much pre snap. We only use motion on something like 10% of plays which to he fair is holding this offense back. Seeing as he does nothing else I'd have Invisibella in motion every time he's on the field. Also nearly all shotgun and predictable when under center.

I thought his comments were fair.

Last edited:

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think the Simms comments were right on.

KM had one season as a starter in college. He's still learning the game. He had one pre-season, no pregames with DHop in the pros. Not much time to develop the necessary connection with his receivers---note the misses with wide-open receivers, the misses with Fitz, etc.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kyler-murray-1.html

All the motion, shifts, etc will come as KM learns to glance at the D and understand what they are going to do. Currently, he's not calling many audibles but sticking with the play as called. What's amazing is that he is doing as well as he is doing.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Sorry @bankybruce and @Jetstream Green but this is what I think about when Chris Simms comes up:

You must be registered for see images

I do too. Worst pocket presence I ever saw and would not know if a freight train was coming 5 yards away. What sticks out to me was that clip of Gruden losing it with him when at Tampa for not remembering plays... I cannot take anything he says seriously because of his mental inaptitude when playing QB

Reaction score
Sorry @bankybruce and @Jetstream Green but this is what I think about when Chris Simms comes up:

You must be registered for see images

I do too. Worst pocket presence I ever saw and would not know if a freight train was coming 5 yards away. What sticks out to me was that clip of Gruden losing it with him when at Tampa for not remembering plays... I cannot take anything he says seriously because of his mental inaptitude when playing QB
As a QB Chris Simms is a pretty decent commentator! :lol:

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
As a QB Chris Simms is a pretty decent commentator! :lol:
I'm a UT Ex and never got the hype on the guy and still think he's lacking in football smarts but maybe he can offer an opinion when not having to make split decisions which he can be moderately interesting... how's that, and I am not sold on Ehlinger as a pro QB either, coming across as a poor man's Josh Allen with a ton of mediocrity lol

AirRaid

Rookie
Reaction score
I don't understand the lack of motion either. This can give a qb so much information pre-snap.
I don’t think Kyler’s there yet where he can identify defensive coverages on the fly like that. Baby steps, he’ll get there.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some things are still kinda basic in our offense, scheme wise we are attacking our opponent most of the time with the intent to wear them down. But many "problems" seem to come from KM or not being able to diagnose better or reading better or from K2 that he is very precousiuos to get KM as comfortable as possible before he imports new winkles. Sometimes it shows and at the moment our O falls and rises with KM playing good or bad. But that is probably something that we might see the next decades, since the NFL isn't a run heavy league anymore.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Interesting stuff here from Simms about the game and Kyler.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Simms is a flat out hater.

I think he's pretty knowledgeable, but he lets his biases and personal relationships effect his analysis.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
He loves Kyler though. Maybe its the fact he's buddies with Kyle Shanahan or lost to Kliff in college, but he clearly dislikes Kliff. lol
I think he is just salty that someone with his resume got a HC job in the NFL. Minus the few years of coaching college Simms has a similar resume as a player and a year of being an assistant at the NFL level.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He loves Kyler though. Maybe its the fact he's buddies with Kyle Shanahan or lost to Kliff in college, but he clearly dislikes Kliff. lol

FWIW Shanahan absolutely loves Kyler. They have this weekly 49er show on Sunday mornings and I was bored over the bye so I watched it. They review the prior game and talk about the next one. In this one they were talking about QB play because of the 49er injuries and the guy on the show said we know because we talk to him but Shanahan thinks so far Russell Wilson is the MVP of the whole NFL, but he said on that field in that game, the best player was Kyler Murray. Here we have a situation where one of the best QB's in the NFL is in our league(Wilson) and maybe the most promising YOUNG Qb in the NFL is in the same league.

You have to wonder what would Shanahan do with a QB like Kyler? I think it would be scary

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW Shanahan absolutely loves Kyler. They have this weekly 49er show on Sunday mornings and I was bored over the bye so I watched it. They review the prior game and talk about the next one. In this one they were talking about QB play because of the 49er injuries and the guy on the show said we know because we talk to him but Shanahan thinks so far Russell Wilson is the MVP of the whole NFL, but he said on that field in that game, the best player was Kyler Murray. Here we have a situation where one of the best QB's in the NFL is in our league(Wilson) and maybe the most promising YOUNG Qb in the NFL is in the same league.

You have to wonder what would Shanahan do with a QB like Kyler? I think it would be scary
Scary indeed.

Different thread, but based on Shanahan's offense I think he'd work relentlessly with Kyler on improving his ability to throw on the run. Because play action plays from under center helps get those YAC plays.

@BritCard Simms talks about how Kyler probably cant see some of the over middle stuff. Thats why Kliff needs to continue to run the ball and do play action to bring guys up so he can see better.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Scary indeed.

Different thread, but based on Shanahan's offense I think he'd work relentlessly with Kyler on improving his ability to throw on the run. Because play action plays from under center helps get those YAC plays.

@BritCard Simms talks about how Kyler probably cant see some of the over middle stuff. Thats why Kliff needs to continue to run the ball and do play action to bring guys up so he can see better.

I'd love to see Kyler in an offense that uses the amount of motion pre snap Shanahan does, and Andy Reid. I don't know why we use it so little, only around 10%. It does nothing but help the QB.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd love to see Kyler in an offense that uses the amount of motion pre snap Shanahan does, and Andy Reid. I don't know why we use it so little, only around 10%. It does nothing but help the QB.
Pretty sure we were top 5 in the league last year doing it.

No clue why it’s only been used in spurts this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson