Cardinals sign LB De'Vondre Campbell

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seeing as he's known to be poor in coverage why is it unlikely? Because Vance sucks is the only answer.

No smart DC would play him on 3rd down.

Given that his coverage % is in the Bobby Wagner neighbourhood, please inform Coach Carroll and his "sucky" DC, Ken Norton that if they were smart they'd pull him off the field on third down.

JosiahLee

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I don't think we take a WR in the first. Not with the one big hole that still exists on the OL and purportedly generational talent available there. Wouldn't think there'd be any room for another WR. I think we take one next year if Larry leaves then. We're not benching #11. Kirk showed he can play and deserves to be on the field. We really really need to just give Kyler more time. Our O Line was just adequate last year because of Kyler's mobility, but our skill positions have been upgraded and our line hasn't changed at all. Most-pressured is not the adjective you want for your QB. Not with all the spendy pieces he has to play with now.

Here's the thing though, Justin Murray actually held his own at RT and I don't think he's getting enough credit. With last year being his first year starting, maybe he actually gets better? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be mad if they go OT at #8 but I could see them still going WR, CB, DE at #8 if they don't trade back.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I like the defensive signings we're doing.

All we need is an AVERAGE NFL defense to be a playoff team.

The guys we're bringing in are solid, hard nosed veteran football players. It reminds me of what the Suns tried this off-season, bringing in solid veteran players to replace young failing projects. I think it will work better for the Cardinals because the offense is going to be insane.

I'm still on the Lamb bandwagon. The Texans drafted Hopkins when Andre Johnson was still there. You have to have some overlap.

We drafted Fitz while we had Boldin, though Boldin was not a first... which is why I still would not rule this out but I want Wirfs though would settle for Wills with the way Wirfs has jumped up after his combine

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
You’re right and if he played in the secondary it would be concerning.
94-124 75.8% 899 6 TD the last 2 years.
2.93-3.88 28.1 yards and .19 TDs are his averages per game. No the completion percentage isn’t good at all, but he’s getting less than 4 attempts per game. Is that because the players he’s guarding isn’t open? Or what? He’s not gonna come in and play safety, he’s a linebacker and will get up around 100 tackles and give up 28 yards per game to TEs
It should be noted that those were against all players he covered as well. Which means his numbers when a RB was his assignment are also added into that. It would also include zone defense where the ball was completed in his zone. I would be very curious to see what his numbers looked like when in man against TEs specifically.

Having RB assignments could help explain the high completion percentages as RB completions tend to be dump offs and in that situation you are more worried about minimizing their gain instead of forcing an incompletion.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Had my eye on him due to Atlanta’s cap situation. Unlike Detroit who didn’t bring back Kennard were ~40mil under the cap (Falcons right at their salary limit). He definitely seems like a do-it-all-type.

Apologies for the music choice:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Had my eye on him due to Atlanta’s cap situation. Unlike Detroit who didn’t bring back Kennard were ~40mil under the cap (Falcons right at their salary limit). He definitely seems like a do-it-all-type.

Apologies for the music choice:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Blocked by the NFL unless you click out of the embed, by the way. Can be watched on YouTube.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In coverage, Campbell has struggled to contain opposing tight ends, giving up a 103 passer rating, 799 yards, and 6 touchdowns combined over the past two seasons on 94 total targets.
At that rate, he'll be a huge improvement over the what the Cardinals gave up to TEs as a team in 2019 - 104 catches, 1246 yards, and 17 TDs on 138 total targets!

...dave

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
At that rate, he'll be a huge improvement over the what the Cardinals gave up to TEs as a team in 2019 - 104 catches, 1246 yards, and 17 TDs on 138 total targets!

...dave

The Jordan Hicks rate covering tigh ends?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Given that his coverage % is in the Bobby Wagner neighbourhood, please inform Coach Carroll and his "sucky" DC, Ken Norton that if they were smart they'd pull him off the field on third down.

Not coverage %. Completion percentage AGAINST. He allowed the 16th worst pass completion percentage in the league last year and you're trying to tell me thats good because Wagner also sucked in 21st? Wagner had a bad year last year, he was 108th in comp% allowed the year before at 66.7%. In the interest of fairness Campbell was better also at 69.8% which was still a 105 passer rating against.

He allowed a whole 5% more than Hicks and Hicks was crap in coverage. Even Reddick only allowed 75%.

I'm not sure why your trying to drive this narrative that he's good in coverage when he clearly isn't. Analysts don't think so, Falcons fans don't think so, PFF don't think so, is stats confirm so.

I like Campbell as a downhill thumper. But it's much more likely Hicks on more in coverage than Campbell. Or Vallejo tags in on 3rd down.

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not coverage %. Completion percentage AGAINST. He allowed the 16th worst pass completion percentage in the league last year and you're trying to tell me thats good because Wagner also sucked in 21st? Wagner had a bad year last year, he was 108th in comp% allowed the year before at 66.7%. In the interest of fairness Campbell was better also at 69.8% which was still a 105 passer rating against.

He allowed a whole 5% more than Hicks and Hicks was crap in coverage. Even Reddick only allowed 75%.

I'm not sure why your trying to drive this narrative that he's good in coverage when he clearly isn't. Analysts don't think so, Falcons fans don't think so, PFF don't think so, is stats confirm so.

I like Campbell as a downhill thumper. But it's much more likely Hicks on more in coverage than Campbell. Or Vallejo tags in on 3rd down.

And I think that your assertion that we bought a two-down thumper is patently ridiculous!

Somehow, I can imagine you arguing that your boy Vontaze Burfict, who you were pimping a few weeks back, is a three-down LB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And I think that your assertion that we bought a two-down thumper is patently ridiculous!

Somehow, I can imagine you arguing that your boy Vontaze Burfict, who you were pimping a few weeks back, is a three-down LB.

You mean the one post I made asking the question? I wouldn't call it pimping.

I like the Campbell signing but he sucks in coverage. Thems just the facts.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm at a loss to remember any ILBs in the league who are coverage savants.

It's just next to impossible to prevent a reception on a quick slant.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone we have signed is a massive upgrade compared to who we had last year. Thats the best we could hope for.

We have also left ourselves in a position to draft BPA in the draft because most needs have been filled.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
I think you're spot on with the replacement level receivers. Doubt it will be Kirk but you just never know how things play out. Hope the other 3 work out. I've been thinking about this ever since we got Hopkins. KK said he just didn't have the players to use 10 personnel much in so many words, during last season. I think he really wants to. He wants to challenge a defense with 4 elite WR's & see what happens because most teams have 2-3 CB's so there's an advantage to gain there. Just a possibility & I know it's crazy but trade down to number 12-13, gain their 2nd round pick & maybe more? Then draft Lamb or Jeudy, even Ruggs. It would be the most lethal WR group in the NFL. Draft an OT with the 2nd round pick we gain. I think Justin Murray has potential & with a full season under Kugler he can possibly reach it. I believe our FO & Kugler are very high on him. Murray is probably still clambering for Lamb even after getting Hopkins & I bet the thought of that type of talent on offense is being discussed by KK & SK. Probably won't happen, I'm not even wanting it to happen but it wouldn't shock me if it does. Imagine the nightmares DC's would have thinking of ways to stop it. I like the balance factor & how KK adapted using TE's but in the back of my mind, I just know how bad he wants 4 badass WR's for 10 personnel.

You could be right. I do remember that KK was the main reason we drafted Butler last season. He passed on an opportunity to bring him in to Texas Tech and then had to play against him several times and very much regretted his decision to pass on him. He said the reason he wanted to draft him was because he didn't want to make the same mistake twice.
NO, I'm not trying to say he's on the same level as a Lamb or a Jeudy, Lol.

CardinalCovfefe

Veteran
Reaction score
Pretty much what we are saying here. It seems like the organization likes this order.

Simmons
Okudah
Brown

Trade Back

Wirfs
Wills
Lamb
Jeudy

Lamb is definitely still on the table because the thought is that Larry isn't long for the team.

I have my doubts about that. I'm real sure that Larry Fitzgerald recognizes that KK and KM, along with MB and SK and everybody else recognizes a real opportunity to get back to the SB. Notice it did not take long at all for him to decide to play again in 2020, and he was signed at his going rate.

My thinking is he will fight 'til the end to try to be a part of that group and get that ring, and he has always been such an integral part of this team since he was drafted that MB will likely give him every opportunity to do just that, unless his skills deteriorate to the point that he
no longer can compete. If they sniff the playoffs, he will not quit, because he will be afraid they win the SB the very next year without him because he ended his career ONE year too early.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Campbell contract is structured weirdly to save cap.

Its a 5 year deal with 4 voided years

five years, $10M ($6M gtd), $5M signing bonus, salaries $1M (gtd), $1M, $1M, $1M, $1M; $2.5M playtime, playoffs, team achievement incentive in 2021; 2021-24 years void if on roster fifth day after 2020 Super Bowl

So his cap hit for this year is probably 2-3m with 1m or so in dead cap over the 4 years following depending on how much he earns in incentives.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson