Would you sign Vontaze Burfict?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
His ban has been lifted and he's been working out at ASU with Marvin.

First things first. I thought the ban last year was a joke. I'm sure we could find a bunch of similar hits that went unpunished.

But in general, sure he's had his on field issues. But off the field he's never been a locker room problem. He's a different person off the field.

He signed for $1.8m last year. Surely will be less this year.

As we aren't flush with cash and have a lot of holes would you take the shot on Burfict?

I would. As I've said before I'll sign anyone who makes us better, especially if they offer good value. It's football not finishing school.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The issue with signing Burfict is that the NFL will continue to err on the side against him on any questionable call. Even if he is somehow completely reformed one close tackle with the shoulder and he can be gone. Even his last suspension was questioned by his teammates.

So you can't count on him to be a starter. He can really only be a back up.

And the flip side of that is that if he isn't reformed, then he potentially brings a lot of distraction to the locker room. Is that worth the risk as a back up?

It's a tough call for any team.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will say it is like 90% likely someone signs him though. Dallas, Oakland again, ect...someone will take the risk

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Burfict should never be allowed on a field again, he should have been banned years ago. The dude is scum. IMO, the players union needs to look at their own safety and expel him.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our linebacker room is awful.

Reddick was so bad they started giving Gardeck snaps.

Gardeck was so bad they started giving all the snaps to Walker.

Walker was so bad they started giving all the snaps to Vallejo.

Its possibly the least talented room on our roster.

If we can add a 29 year old with a tonne of experience for 1.5m, even if it's in rotation I'm doing it.

Because someone will. And we aren't close to good enough to be picky about adding talent. Even in decline he's better than everyone we have but Hicks.

You give him no G's and hope he's smart enough to realise how little rope he has left. If not, then you lost nothing.

I don't like him either, but it's not a popularity contest.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our linebacker room is awful.

Reddick was so bad they started giving Gardeck snaps.

Gardeck was so bad they started giving all the snaps to Walker.

Walker was so bad they started giving all the snaps to Vallejo.

Its possibly the least talented room on our roster.

If we can add a 29 year old with a tonne of experience for 1.5m, even if it's in rotation I'm doing it.

Because someone will. And we aren't close to good enough to be picky about adding talent. Even in decline he's better than everyone we have but Hicks.

You give him no G's and hope he's smart enough to realise how little rope he has left. If not, then you lost nothing.

I don't like him either, but it's not a popularity contest.

Burfict is more likely to injure a teammate in practice than make a positive impact over the course of the season.

Hell... freaking... no...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This isn't a guy who just has some issues with proper tackling:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

He unhinged, a walking embarrassment, constantly attempting to injure guys, often dudes who don't have the ball and are well away from the play.

Last edited:

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Even without the off-field issues, the nfl is moving away from players like him. He’s big and too slow to cover the middle of the field. If you thought Hicks was slow, Burfict is slower. We need a more athletic ILB to pair with Hicks IMO

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
The only real answer to this question is that Burfict is an old school thumper. A damn good one nonetheless. But in this pass-driven league he wouldn't improve our biggest weakness at all. In fact, Burfict is totally lost in space.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson