NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So Houston gave up client cappella and a first round pick for Covington? Seems like an overpay.

I keep thinking I must not know who Robert Covington is, but then I look him up and go, "Yeah, that guy, that's what I thought." I find this trade inexplicable. How can Capela not have had more value? He's fourth in the league in rebounding, only 25 years old, and on a pretty good contract.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Now D'Antoni doesn't have to play an actual Center anymore and can run a lineup with an average height of 6'4". Westbrook, Harden, Gordon, Covington, and Tucker. Covington is someone that could guard Lebron but literally no one on that team will be able to come close to guarding Anthony Davis.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Houston has traded CP3 and Capela a year after giving them big extensions.

Yeah, they surrendered picks in the process, a fair amount of depth and all their size.

This was a team that was a half away from the finals a couple years ago and on paper I think they're much worse.

I know that age is a factor in some of the moves they've made but Westbrook's decline is more apparent than CP3's.

Paul and Harden must have reeeeeeally hated each other.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This seems to be the most pointless four-team trade in NBA history.

feel like the Hawks made out like bandits. their interior defense is atrocious and they just got a great defensive C to anchor the entire team while not giving up all that much up.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Covington was always underrated by this board.

He is an excellent, multi-positional defender and a solid 3P-shooter. The Rockets used less and less Capela, and hard to see it was not intentional, at least partially.

Morey keep stretchnig their championship window by sacrifying more and more of their future, but I think that most of his moves are defendable except the Paul for Westbrook trade.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He is an excellent, multi-positional defender and a solid 3P-shooter. The Rockets used less and less Capela, and hard to see it was not intentional, at least partially.

Morey keep stretchnig their championship window by sacrifying more and more of their future, but I think that most of his moves are defendable except the Paul for Westbrook trade.

I like Covington quite a bit but I don't see how this moves helps Houston win in the postseason, at all. How does this stretch their window? Who can guard Anthony Davis now, Tyson Chandler's corpse? They have no size and when they flame out in the playoffs they'll have to keep D'Antoni because no one else will want to coach that roster of shoot first guards they've assembled. A bunch of chuckers to go with PJ Tucker and Robert Covington is not a contender.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I disagree. I think their window has contracted and is likely closed. If they'd kept their roster from the last few seasons and looked to simply add depth I think they'd have a much better team.

Perhaps the relationship between Paul and Harden made that an impossibility but this move and the Westbrook trade seem like desperation. Moves that contradict the style of team building that helped them rise.

Melo was another one. Like trading for Westbrook, they added a player who went hard against the grain of their efficient phylosphy and it blew up in their face.

Reminds me of when we swapped Marion for Shaq... not coincidentally, another team coached by Mike D. He's a good coach, but he has no patience. He'd rather blow up the works than adjust and acclimate.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So when the Rockets flame out in the playoffs who’s on board with a Devin Booker for James Harden trade

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rockets are looking for a center. I'm wondering if there is any market for Baynes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Rockets are looking for a center. I'm wondering if there is any market for Baynes.

It makes sense, they have like 10 guards they could trade us I think

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rockets got raped.

Capella, Green, Nene and a 1st for Covington? Capella and Green are both better than him - but Green is out for the season.

Even so it's not like this trade is going to give them a real chance in the playoffs.

I have no idea what they are doing.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
C’s like Capela are a dying breed. He’s a lob target, defender & rebounded but most teams including HOU are looking for guys who can shoot. They had to give up an asset to get off of Capela’s contract and to get Covington who is a better fit and it frees up money so they could go after another piece.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rockets got raped.

Capella, Green, Nene and a 1st for Covington? Capella and Green are both better than him - but Green is out for the season.

Even so it's not like this trade is going to give them a real chance in the playoffs.

I have no idea what they are doing.

It seemed the Hawks really made out in the trade with Capela and was the winner. I'm not sure what the Wolves were doing. It seemed like a rebound reaction after missing out on Russell. I didn't particularly like what the Rockets did but they have like $12 million to make another move.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
C’s like Capela are a dying breed. He’s a lob target, defender & rebounded but most teams including HOU are looking for guys who can shoot. They had to give up an asset to get off of Capela’s contract and to get Covington who is a better fit and it frees up money so they could go after another piece.

I think a lot of fans want this from Ayton.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is how to use an expiring contact.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think a lot of fans want this from Ayton.
We want Ayton (or a lot of fans do) to be an aggressive and dominant big man who puts up KAT type numbers. Until Ayton can add a 3pt game to his repertoire then we have a throw back C. I will give Ayton credit in that he has a nice mid range jumper he just needs more range and aggressiveness to be a dominant big man that is unstoppable.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We want Ayton (or a lot of fans do) to be an aggressive and dominant big man who puts up KAT type numbers. Until Ayton can add a 3pt game to his repertoire then we have a throw back C. I will give Ayton credit in that he has a nice mid range jumper he just needs more range and aggressiveness to be a dominant big man that is unstoppable.

I'm not sure Ayton needs a 3 point shot at this stage of his career. He needs to develop his inside game and his mid-range shot first. As long as he can pull the defender away from the basket with a mid-range shot that may be enough.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Capela's contract really wasn't bad. He was only making $14-15 million a year. If they had waited to make a move they probably could have received a better return but they don't seem to have patience when it comes to trades. That's part of why this deal is so bad and the Chris Paul/Westbrook deal was pretty bad last offseason also. As soon as word comes out that the Rockets are dealing someone, they seem to take the first offer on the table.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Capela's contract really wasn't bad. He was only making $14-15 million a year. If they had waited to make a move they probably could have received a better return but they don't seem to have patience when it comes to trades. That's part of why this deal is so bad and the Chris Paul/Westbrook deal was pretty bad last offseason also. As soon as word comes out that the Rockets are dealing someone, they seem to take the first offer on the table.

If the Suns didn't have Ayton I would have been thrilled to get Capela.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently no trade yet for Suns.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads