NBA Trade Deadline news and rumors 2019-20 season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather do no trade than a bad one.

Any first round pick has to be significantly protected. Lotto protected would be enough since it is virtually guaranteed not to convey this year.

If Wilson Chandler is out there now as a FA, he would be a useful pickup. He can play 3 positions.

I do think Luke Kennard would be a sneaky pick-up. He is a big 2 with high efficiency. He is a Jeff Hornacek type of player. Not sure about his defense (his drtg is ok but I don't really trust that stat).

One of the problems with Book being the backup pg is that he doesn't really have a decent SG in that situation to play with him. I think a three guard rotation of Book, Rubio, and Kennard could (might, has a chance to) work.

Last edited:

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reports are that Kennard's knee condition is chronic, will never improve, and was serious to the point of the Pistons significantly paring down his training regimen in order to preserve him physically to be able to play in games (only to lose him to the condition, anyway, for 22 games and counting).

I wouldn't give up a second round pick for this, let alone a first.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns offer of a first round pick for Kennard is heavily protected for a number of years...even turning into second round picks in later drafts.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns offer of a first round pick for Kennard is heavily protected for a number of years...even turning into second round picks in later drafts.

Any way they can also protect it based on number of games Kennard can play?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Any first round pick has to be significantly protected. Lotto protected would be enough since it is virtually guaranteed not to convey this year.

If Wilson Chandler is out there now as a FA, he would be a useful pickup. He can play 3 positions.

I do think Luke Kennard would be a sneaky pick-up. He is a big 2 with high efficiency. He is a Jeff Hornacek type of player. Not sure about his defense (his drtg is ok but I don't really trust that stat).

One of the problems with Book being the backup pg is that he doesn't really have a decent SG in that situation to play with him. I think a three guard rotation of Book, Rubio, and Kennard could (might, has a chance to) work.

Isn't Wilson Chandler on a full season drug test suspension? I don't believe he's a free agent that can play. He wouldn't be a bad stretch 4 while they search for a more permanent solution though.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Kennard is a very good player. If we have a chance to get him, we do need to try to do it. I would think lotto protection would be good enough. I sincerely doubt we would get a player as good as Kennard beyond the tenth pick in the draft--and we KNOW he can play.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I'm thinking the Suns want to flip Baynes to a contender for a 1st that would then be used in the Kennard deal. A pick from a team like the Clippers (who I know can't deal theirs this season), Lakers, Philly, Houston, Denver, type of team wouldn't be a bad move. The Suns own pick being involved isn't something I want to see unless it's lotto protected, or top 10 protected, for the next 2 years, maybe 3.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Isn't Wilson Chandler on a full season drug test suspension? I don't believe he's a free agent that can play. He wouldn't be a bad stretch 4 while they search for a more permanent solution though.
Oh yeah. Duh. Sorry.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Suns want to flip Baynes to a contender for a 1st that would then be used in the Kennard deal. A pick from a team like the Clippers (who I know can't deal theirs this season), Lakers, Philly, Houston, Denver, type of team wouldn't be a bad move. The Suns own pick being involved isn't something I want to see unless it's lotto protected, or top 10 protected, for the next 2 years, maybe 3.

This makes a lot of sense.

However, if the Suns could flip Baynes for a first round pick, I'd like to see what they could get for that pick and a Suns protected first round pick plus expirings.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kennard is a very good player. If we have a chance to get him, we do need to try to do it. I would think lotto protection would be good enough. I sincerely doubt we would get a player as good as Kennard beyond the tenth pick in the draft--and we KNOW he can play.

Admittedly the injury situation worries me about Kennard... not the player.

If the Suns trade for Kennard I want the first round pick heavily protected eventually turning into a second round pick(s).

I don't think the injury is going to go away.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
He just played 18 mins versus the Suns two nights ago, so no.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also playing Detroit today makes things a little odd. Usually players sit out when they're about to be dealt but I could see Detroit telling the Suns to play Okobo and Carter as usual since they're in Detroit. They can get a first hand look at them and have all of their staff there to evaluate them. It's almost like an audition of sorts since it's happening in Detroit's facilities.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He just played 18 mins versus the Suns two nights ago, so no.

I thought he was out for the full season. I can't find anything saying that now, just that he had the same 25 game suspension that others have had. He did get popped for an actual growth hormone but it's said it was given to him by his personal physician as part of his rehab for a quad injury.

He signed for a year at the league minimum in Brooklyn and was popped a month later. Perhaps I read something and got the contract mixed up with the suspension.

My mistake.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knicks are in pursuit of D'Angelo Russell. Can't imagine them not giving the Warriors what they want.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you're good with a second consecutive season without an NBA caliber power forward, and instead getting yet another one dimensional shooter with health issues who can't defend?

I guess the answer is yes.

I'm not going to say I am unconcerned about his knee - but I held out almost no hope of getting anything useful from that draft pick with Jones picking and the weakness of this draft.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I understand a big hold up in the Wolves-Warriors trade is that they wanted an unprotected 2021 first round pick for D'Angelo Russell.

Anyone do this trade for Suns and expiring contracts for Russell?

Yes I would.

Russel is flawed, but he is less flawed than Rubio - and he will make Booker happy.

Thing is, based on the way the Suns so strongly rejected the rumors about him last year, I don't think Jones wants him at all.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reportedly Jrue Holiday is on the market. That would be a more attractive trade than Kennard depending upon the price.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reportedly Jrue Holiday is on the market. That would be a more attractive trade than Kennard depending upon the price.

Yeah, but they reportedly want a lot for him, and don't expect such an offer before the deadline.

He's old enough that I don't think going all out for him would be wise - especially when we would need to get rid of rubio for it to make much sense.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I would.

Russel is flawed, but he is less flawed than Rubio - and he will make Booker happy.

Thing is, based on the way the Suns so strongly rejected the rumors about him last year, I don't think Jones wants him at all.

I'd look at it as well. The Suns would have Ayton, Booker and Russell. It's probably a future playoff team.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but they reportedly want a lot for him, and don't expect such an offer before the deadline.

He's old enough that I don't think going all out for him would be wise - especially when we would need to get rid of rubio for it to make much sense.

It's a reach for sure. I hope the Suns have kicked the tires though. He would solve a lot of the Suns problems and add defense.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd do Oubre and a 1st for Jrue. Apparently he doesn't want to play PG full time so running a small lineup with Rubio, Jrue, and Booker at PG, SG, SF wouldn't be that bad. Booker at SF would be different, I'm not sure if I'd say better or worse.

Just spitballing ideas to land Jrue. I'm not big on trading Oubre but I would do that sooner than I would Bridges and I doubt the Pelicans have interest in Rubio. They probably don't have much interest in Oubre either since they have Ingram, who is an All-Star this year. No way would I flip Ayton for Jrue.

I wonder if the Pelicans are looking to move Favors. He and Redick were brought in for a hopeful playoff push and that's not happening for them. I'd like to see Favors next to Ayton before ponying up the cash for him longterm so it would be rental but the cost of that rental would be worth inquiring about.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd do Oubre and a 1st for Jrue. Apparently he doesn't want to play PG full time so running a small lineup with Rubio, Jrue, and Booker at PG, SG, SF wouldn't be that bad. Booker at SF would be different, I'm not sure if I'd say better or worse.

Just spitballing ideas to land Jrue. I'm not big on trading Oubre but I would do that sooner than I would Bridges and I doubt the Pelicans have interest in Rubio. They probably don't have much interest in Oubre either since they have Ingram, who is an All-Star this year. No way would I flip Ayton for Jrue.

I wonder if the Pelicans are looking to move Favors. He and Redick were brought in for a hopeful playoff push and that's not happening for them. I'd like to see Favors next to Ayton before ponying up the cash for him longterm so it would be rental but the cost of that rental would be worth inquiring about.

I wanted Favors since he played for the Jazz. Too bad the Suns do not have much to offer they would be willing to give up. A second round pick might have done it but the Suns traded theirs for the next two drafts.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

We are only a half game ahead of them...

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

Kennard’s defense is trash and that’s not hyperbole. His metrics are bad and that’s WITH Andre Drummond behind him who’s a better rim protector than Ayton.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kennard’s defense is trash and that’s not hyperbole. His metrics are bad and that’s WITH Andre Drummond behind him who’s a better rim protector than Ayton.

Bingo. Too bad James Jones doesn't get it...