Kings @ Suns Wednesday 10-23-19 game thread

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Tyler Johnson played within himself and within the team concept tonight. If he continues performing like this, he could be a positive off the bench, and I could get behind him as a back-up shooting guard.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
How do you define “NBA caliber”? Or do you mean a starting caliber forward? You could make the argument that we don’t have a power forward that would start on most other teams, but Saric and Kaminsky are NBA players.

I said from the moment we traded for him that Saric was garbage, and he has proved it thus far in preseason and tonight. Kaminsky can do some nice things offensively, but his defense and rebounding are so bad that his shooting and offensive craftiness do not make up for it. Both are ideally suited to play in Europe. Neither should be a rotation player on any NBA team that hopes for any measure of success.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I said from the moment we traded for him that Saric was garbage, and he has proved it thus far in preseason and tonight. Kaminsky can do some nice things offensively, but his defense and rebounding are so bad that his shooting and offensive craftiness do not make up for it. Both are ideally suited to play in Europe. Neither should be a rotation player on any NBA team that hopes for any measure of success.
Monty would surely disagree with you. So Saric and Frank will be your new ' favorites' this year? Lol

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Monty rightfully gets the game ball.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

CRC83

Veteran
Reaction score
Saric was a rotation player on a successful team.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I liked the Monty hiring from a basketball standpoint but I'm coming around to loving it from a personal standpoint. The guy is all class. Not only is he a quality coach but he genuinely seems like a great guy and I think he's the right sort of person you want leading and teaching a young team like the Suns.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
That was two seasons ago, And he has regressed horribly ever since.
As I previously posted, Saric's weight is now listed at 216.

That is not the description of a dominating role playing Power Forward.

The rest of our rotation is naturally competitive. It would be a shame if
one out of ten rotation players holds us back or costs us games against
tougher competition.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

tougher competition.

What is the average weight of starting PF's in the NBA? You put so much importance on Saric's weight that I'm curious how it compares to others.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
What is the average weight of starting PF's in the NBA? You put so much importance on Saric's weight that I'm curious how it compares to others.
Probably not much more since Saric was listed like 10 lbs heavier than that before the NBA came out with the "real" numbers. That tells me that a lot of players are probably playing at lower weight than they are listed at.

Also I have seen nothing at this point that would suggest to me that Saric isn't strong enough to handle the PF position. You could argue too slow, but he seems to handle the size and strength of PFs just fine.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

tougher competition.
Agreed Hoop Head.

If Saric fails as a PF it will because of his attitude and play style, not his weight. With the way the modern NBA is, unless you're Bol Bol style emaciated, weight is not a serious factor. It is about tenacity, not measurements.

Johninromania

Veteran
Reaction score
Great toy wake up and see this box score. The biggest take away from the highlights and commentary is that they put in the work for 48 minutes. If this is a indication of a cultural change it’s most welcomed and this team should be fun to watch and a real threat next year to shake up the division.

Son of RedRage

All Star
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the game last night. Woke up to the box score and I'm convinced this is one elaborate practical joke. Did the Suns look that good or did the Kings just look that bad?

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Its only one game but everything seems improved over last season. Ball movement, spacing, rotations, defense, players in the right position. Must have been a tough night for Igor.

It will be interesting to see how we feel after Friday.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Any excuse I can make to reference Socks, I’m gonna do it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch the game last night. Woke up to the box score and I'm convinced this is one elaborate practical joke. Did the Suns look that good or did the Kings just look that bad?

In the second half they looked that good.

Our D just put the clamps on them.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its only one game but everything seems improved over last season. Ball movement, spacing, rotations, defense, players in the right position. Must have been a tough night for Igor.

It will be interesting to see how we feel after Friday.

Saw this, kicking Igor while he's down.

You must be registered for see images attach

iVAN

Reaction score
Are you guys ready to flip Saric and Tyler for Ibaka. I bet the Suns could really take off after getting a good defensive PF/C,

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why would Igor be down? He was given a pu-pu platter of "NBA" talent (outside of Booker and a very young Ayton) to work with, at least until Oubre and Johnson arrived. But then got hurt. And Booker got hurt. And TJ was always hurt.
You really can't compare these two rosters and say "See Igor - you sucked". He wasn't the greatest of communicators, it seemed, but he is still a coach in the NBA.

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Why would Igor be down? He was given a pu-pu platter of "NBA" talent (outside of Booker and a very young Ayton) to work with, at least until Oubre and Johnson arrived. But then got hurt. And Booker got hurt. And TJ was always hurt.
You really can't compare these two rosters and say "See Igor - you sucked". He wasn't the greatest of communicators, it seemed, but he is still a coach in the NBA.

Oh geez, it's a joke.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you had told me before that game that one of those 2 teams was going to look ready to make a big leap forward I would have assumed it was the Kings based on last year. Didn't see it but impressive win to blow them out like that. Ayton had 4 blocks if he can become even a decent rim protector it will be a huge asset to the Suns.

Congrats.