Quick Reactions - Preseason Game #4

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Watched bits and pieces of the game.

Hundley has looked so comfortable in preseason. Not sure what that means in the regular season, but he’s been throwing an accurate ball and making good decisions.

No one can run the ball behind this porous line. Have a feeling that even with DJ, we’re gonna struggle to run effectively.

Depth on the o-line is a concern. Way too many busted plays because the QB was under duress. Was Cunningham really that bad that they shipped him off?

Depth at safety is poo. I imagine that behind Swearinger and Budda are the Thompsons.

Cornerback? Forget it. Just gotta hope that Suggs and Jones can make the QB uncomfortable.

Can’t wait until Sept 8th.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Depth on the o-line is a concern. Way too many busted plays because the QB was under duress. Was Cunningham really that bad that they shipped him off?

Cunningham was competing with Miles and Miles looked Very solid (against back-ups but still)

I get your concern, but the top7 did not play. 5 starters, Cole and Garcia.

And I Cannot wait Either

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Hundley has looked so comfortable in preseason. Not sure what that means in the regular season, but he’s been throwing an accurate ball and making good decisions.

No one can run the ball behind this porous line. Have a feeling that even with DJ, we’re gonna struggle to run effectively.

Depth at safety is poo. I imagine that behind Swearinger and Budda are the Thompsons.

Cornerback? Forget it. Just gotta hope that Suggs and Jones can make the QB uncomfortable.

Count me in on September 8th can't get here fast enough also lol.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I actually thought the Thompson Twins looked like our best players out there

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yea, I agree big time.

Depth at safety actually looks really good & is the deepest on the team by far.

I thought they showed enough for me to think they could put Baker in the slot with Thompsons covering until Peterson returns.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I caught the radio feed on SIRIUS but packed it in after the first half.

Action was mainly about the give and take of backups auditioning for roster spots. Some random thoughts:

Hurray for the Thompsonu Twins

OL only got partially shredded. Every once in a while, our run defenders would stop their ball carriers.

B Williams and RS-J are coach killers. It's time to turn over those roster spots to guys who don't cost you games. Granted, Williams made that one play, but that's still too low a bar. Only reason to keep him is our depth issue, but even then, I'd prefer a second Thompson to Williams.

This game gave us no clue as to how good or bad our starters are. What we can conclude is that our backups don't measure up to other teams' backups.

What also is unclear is whether our backups can be coached-up or whether "we're stuck with what we've got."

Bottom line - There's always the possibility that our second and third-liners will catch up and maybe push our starters, but it's equally as possible that they won't. Tell you what: Watching a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers improve from week to week could do wonders for team morale.

That's all I got.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
When the depth of the roster is so damn bad that people like Williams continue to get chances year after year...... you have to wonder how Keim sticks around.

If we lose a player of Reddick's talent level (which still is well below Pro Bowl or even top 15 at his position) and have total scrubs backing him up...... I really don't know how you justify that to your owner.

I guess there is some of that in the NFL on every team but damn man...... at least 5 or 6 positions on both sides of the ball are a horror film waiting to happen with just one injury. To a player who isn't that good in the first place!

Reactions: PJ1

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
When the depth of the roster is so damn bad that people like Williams continue to get chances year after year...... you have to wonder how Keim sticks around.

If we lose a player of Reddick's talent level (which still is well below Pro Bowl or even top 15 at his position) and have total scrubs backing him up...... I really don't know how you justify that to your owner.

I guess there is some of that in the NFL on every team but damn man...... at least 5 or 6 positions on both sides of the ball are a horror film waiting to happen with just one injury. To a player who isn't that good in the first place!

Well to be fair Dr. Jones, we're down one great, and one serviceable player at CB, through no fault of SK. That unit would be "okay" if we had only lost only one of those players, and would be "good" if we still had both.

ILB... yeah, it was so bad last year, and we're still suffering the consequences for that this year. It's in disrepair, and SK is responsible for this. Next year he'll need to use some of our draft and FA capital on this unit.

And if you're saying Stevie is hanging on by a thread, I agree.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Well to be fair Dr. Jones, we're down one great, and one serviceable player at CB, through no fault of SK. That unit would be "okay" if we had only lost only one of those players, and would be "good" if we still had both.

ILB... yeah, it was so bad last year, and we're still suffering the consequences for that this year. It's in disrepair, and SK is responsible for this. Next year he'll need to use some of our draft and FA capital on this unit.

And if you're saying Stevie is hanging on by a thread, I agree.
CB - Not him IMO.

All Him IMO:
Peters
Allen
Swearinger
Both ILB's

ANY O-Lineman
Possibly TE <-- Not sure if this matters to K2

If we lose any of these guys..... I think we are incapable of filling the spot with a competent and prepared backup. And none of them Pro-Bowlers let alone All-Pro's. Maybe DJ but he's fringe at the moment.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I thought they showed enough for me to think they could put Baker in the slot with Thompsons covering until Peterson returns.
The Cards Underground guys seem to think this is a non-starter with Joseph.

Which makes no sense. Baker looks as uncomfortable covering the deep middle of the field as Honey Badger did.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched the entire game.

Hundley will be a serviceable backup should something happen to Murray.

The starters didn't play at all this game so this comment is very confusing. What I saw from this 4th preseason game was a strong performance from Miles, Gaillard and Vujnovich on the OL against Denver's backups. The rest of the OL that played will be let go IMO. The Cards will most like snag another OL or two off of the Waiver wire or FA if one becomes available.

I thought both Thompsons stood out last night and were both bright spots from the game. They were both very physical and sound tacklers. IMO they both made the team after their performance last night.

CB is a major concern. The only player worth keeping last night at CB was Chris Jones. Everyone else that played will be gone IMO. Unless they keep Brandon Williams as a special teamer which I don't agree with.

Some other thoughts I had:

KeeSean Johnson dominated the lesser competition last night. He showed again that he will be a major contributor on offense this year.

I thought Andy Isabella showed that he still isn't ready to be a contributor this season. He needs to become better at catching the ball in traffic. Right now he is a one trick pony who can stretch the field but not much else.

Zane Gonzalez looks ready for the season and I'm comfortable with him being our kicker.

Dogbe and Brown showed enough to make the 53 but for how long? I think the Cardinals snag a DT/NT off waivers if one they like gets cut. Brown might not last long on the roster.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
last night put to rest any hope that Brandon Williams can be a NFL quality contributing corner

"a step slow"

I hope im wrong, but Ricky Seals Jones is going to make coaches and fans crazy. Flashes that get you excited, but then........ You could see that punch the ball out fumble coming a mile away. This is a player in his third year.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
last night put to rest any hope that Brandon Williams can be a NFL quality contributing corner

"a step slow"

I hope im wrong, but Ricky Seals Jones is going to make coaches and fans crazy. Flashes that get you excited, but then........ You could see that punch the ball out fumble coming a mile away. This is a player in his third year.

RSJ was playing, meaning he isn't a starter at TE, so he is very expendable. Last night showed why - I think consistency is going to be a big trait with this coaching staff over potential.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

"a step slow"

RS-J seems to fit the classic definition of the term "coach kiler." For every "wow" play he makes, he'll commit 2 or 3 miscues that will lose games and break their team's heart.

My instinct says "Cut him." But it would be just our luck that he went on to help his new team win the Super Bowl.

Nevertheless, I'd still say "cut him."

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Never have understood the RSJ love. He really isn't good. Williams sucks, always has,always will.

I see another 3-13 coming up mainly because the inevitable injuries will expose the lack of depth all over this roster.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never have understood the RSJ love. He really isn't good. Williams sucks, always has,always will.

I see another 3-13 coming up mainly because the inevitable injuries will expose the lack of depth all over this roster.
Too many drops. Too many penalties and too many chances. I think the way the te’s will be used RSJ is expendable.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson