Proof That There Is No Originality In Hollywood

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My wife just showed me a meme that is sad and funny at the same time:

You must be registered for see images

These are movies currently in theaters on this marquee. Here is the movie and the year the original came out:

Toy Story 4(original came out in 1995)
Men in Black International(original came out in 1997)
Godzilla(original came out in 1954. Remake in 1998)
Aladdin(original came out in 1992)
Child's Play(original came out in 1988)

This is all there is. Sequels, remakes, reboots. Nothing original. I thought Hollywood was supposed to be the hotbed of originality?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
My wife just showed me a meme that is sad and funny at the same time:

You must be registered for see images

These are movies currently in theaters on this marquee. Here is the movie and the year the original came out:

Toy Story 4(original came out in 1995)
Men in Black International(original came out in 1997)
Godzilla(original came out in 1954. Remake in 1998)
Aladdin(original came out in 1992)
Child's Play(original came out in 1988)

This is all there is. Sequels, remakes, reboots. Nothing original. I thought Hollywood was supposed to be the hotbed of originality?
You're in New Jersey! Guessing there aren't any indie theaters around you. Hollywood makes what makes money. Don't blame them. You'd do the same. Why make a product that nobody buys?

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You're in New Jersey! Guessing there aren't any indie theaters around you. Hollywood makes what makes money. Don't blame them. You'd do the same. Why make a product that nobody buys?
True but Hollywood used to put out original movies that made a ton of money. Speilberg alone had 5 of the highest grossing movies between 1975-1982 with Jaws, Close Encounters, Poltergeist(writer), Raiders of the Lost Ark, and ET, all original concepts at the time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
True but Hollywood used to put out original movies that made a ton of money. Speilberg alone had 5 of the highest grossing movies between 1975-1982 with Jaws, Close Encounters, Poltergeist(writer), Raiders of the Lost Ark, and ET, all original concepts at the time.
Unfortunately, 1982 was almost 40 years ago. Spielberg also ushered in the era of the sequel, so theoretically you can also blame him for the state we are in now.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call down Chaplin it’s a very funny picture

And yes Hollywood is a business They’re going to produce what makes the money

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Call down Chaplin it’s a very funny picture

And yes Hollywood is a business They’re going to produce what makes the money
You of all people have no right to tell anyone to calm down. Yes it’s a funny picture but I wasn’t even responding to the picture.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unfortunately, 1982 was almost 40 years ago. Spielberg also ushered in the era of the sequel, so theoretically you can also blame him for the state we are in now.
Actually, can't you lay the sequel blame on the Planet of the Apes franchise?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Actually, can't you lay the sequel blame on the Planet of the Apes franchise?
I suppose you could, but I'm not sure the money generated by those sequels started the sequel craze as we know it. I think you're looking at the Indiana Jones and Back to the Future movies, as well as the slasher franchises like Nightmare and Friday the 13th as the real culprits.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only go to the theater when I want to see a 'big screen experience' like Star Wars or something special like that. The comedies, dramas, etc are perfectly fine for me on my home theater. Plus, we have a gazillion options at home now. That's where I'm much more comfortable exploring more of the original stuff because it won't cost me $40 to find out if I like something or not.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I suppose you could, but I'm not sure the money generated by those sequels started the sequel craze as we know it. I think you're looking at the Indiana Jones and Back to the Future movies, as well as the slasher franchises like Nightmare and Friday the 13th as the real culprits.
I would say Star Wars. Those other franchises didn't pay out like the Star Wars sequels did.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Did he really? Spielberg is definitely credited with introducing the summer blockbuster, but I've never seen him linked to anything important regarding sequels.

As a matter of fact, he's famous for turning down making the sequel to his biggest blockbuster: In October 1975, Steven Spielberg told the San Francisco Film Festival that "making a sequel to anything is just a cheap carny trick" and that he did not even respond to the producers when they asked him to direct Jaws 2.

He's only done a few sequels (series) and admits that he doesn't necessarily do them well. Spielberg on his sequels: https://screencrush.com/steve-spielberg-why-sequels-arent-good/

I grew up in the 70's with multiple movies in these franchises: Benji, Dirty Harry, Planet of the Apes, Omen, Rocky, The Bad News Bears, Herbie, James Bond, Shaft, Pink Panther, Godfather, Exorcist, A Man Called Horse, Witch Mountain, Godzilla, etc. and these were all before Spielberg did Temple of Doom.

Sequels are nothing new...there have been sequels to Hollywood films for well over 100 years. Many silent films were series, etc.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Did he really? Spielberg is definitely credited with introducing the summer blockbuster, but I've never seen him linked to anything important regarding sequels.

As a matter of fact, he's famous for turning down making the sequel to his biggest blockbuster: In October 1975, Steven Spielberg told the San Francisco Film Festival that "making a sequel to anything is just a cheap carny trick" and that he did not even respond to the producers when they asked him to direct Jaws 2.

He's only done a few sequels (series) and admits that he doesn't necessarily do them well. Spielberg on his sequels: https://screencrush.com/steve-spielberg-why-sequels-arent-good/

I grew up in the 70's with multiple movies in these franchises: Benji, Dirty Harry, Planet of the Apes, Omen, Rocky, The Bad News Bears, Herbie, James Bond, Shaft, Pink Panther, Godfather, Exorcist, A Man Called Horse, Witch Mountain, Godzilla, etc. and these were all before Spielberg did Temple of Doom.

Sequels are nothing new...there have been sequels to Hollywood films for well over 100 years. Many silent films were series, etc.
Absolutely none of those sequels you named have the financial pedigree of the ones I mentioned. James Bond is probably the closest but are you really calling them sequels? I can’t believe you are bringing up serials as if they are comparable to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example.

We’re going to disagree here, Spielberg may say he’s no good at sequels, but that doesn’t make him and George Lucas any less the guys that ushered in this era.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely none of those sequels you named have the financial pedigree of the ones I mentioned. James Bond is probably the closest but are you really calling them sequels? I can’t believe you are bringing up serials as if they are comparable to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, for example.

If the Indiana Jones films count as sequels then I see nothing wrong in comparing that franchise to any of those I mentioned. When did I compare historic serials to a modern trilogy of films? I was just stating that making sequels is nothing new.

Rocky, Bond, and The Godfather all are stellar examples of films and their sequels making huge dollars - and they won plenty of awards also. Disney was constantly putting out films to continue their many series... Benji was made for half a million dollars and brought in $45 million (in 1974) so it's no wonder it spawned sequels.

We’re going to disagree here, Spielberg may say he’s no good at sequels, but that doesn’t make him and George Lucas any less the guys that ushered in this era.

Ironically, Lucas was majorly influenced by the serials of his youth (Flash Gordon, etc). Just not so sure about an "era of sequels" when they've always been around. Kind of like 3-D movies which have been around since the 1920's.

Why not Francis Ford Coppola if we're talking modern films and sequels? His Godfather sequel won a freaking Academy Award for Best Picture before Star Wars, Indy, or any of those sequels were in the can.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I do get what Chap is saying and that is sequels hit the gas pedal in the early 80's but back then it was a continuation of a series like the Rocky movies and not still putting out movies 20 years after the release of the original. The original Star Wars trilogy ran from 1977-1983. The largest gap between movies was between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back but it took 6 years for the series to run it's course. There were originally 5 Rocky movies which took 14 years to run their course which originally they were coming out in 3 year intervals until Rocky V which came out 5 years after IV. Then 16 years later Rocky Balboa came out and they're still making Rocky movies even rehashing storylines. Even the Godfather series wasn't immune with 16 years passing between 2 &3.

But today, it's not only sequels but reboots and reboots of reboots. Look at the meme. With the exception of Toy Story 4 which is a direct sequel, the other movies are remakes and reboots. That's all that Hollywood is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do get what Chap is saying and that is sequels hit the gas pedal in the early 80's but back then it was a continuation of a series like the Rocky movies and not still putting out movies 20 years after the release of the original. The original Star Wars trilogy ran from 1977-1983. The largest gap between movies was between A New Hope and Empire Strikes back but it took 6 years for the series to run it's course. There were originally 5 Rocky movies which took 14 years to run their course which originally they were coming out in 3 year intervals until Rocky V which came out 5 years after IV. Then 16 years later Rocky Balboa came out and they're still making Rocky movies even rehashing storylines. Even the Godfather series wasn't immune with 16 years passing between 2 &3.

But today, it's not only sequels but reboots and reboots of reboots. Look at the meme. With the exception of Toy Story 4 which is a direct sequel, the other movies are remakes and reboots. That's all that Hollywood is.

That's all corporations want... and apparently, judging from the numbers the remakes and reboots and sequels make compared to original content, it's all the movie going public wants as well.

It's a shame, but don't blame the creatives/writers/directors in Hollywood for the lack of originality. Trust me, it's not by choice or lack of good ideas.

Last edited:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all corporations want... and apparently, judging from the numbers the remakes and reboots and sequels make compared to original content, it's all the movie going public wants as well.

It's a shame, but don't blame the creatives/writers/directors in Hollywood. Trust me, it's not by our choice or lack of good ideas.

It drives me nuts when something fun and original comes along and you show its trailer to people and they go "Eh, that looks okay, but did you see the trailer for "fill-in-the-blank-5" yet?" SMH

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's a shame, but don't blame the creatives/writers/directors in Hollywood. Trust me, it's not by our choice or lack of good ideas.

There is a difference between their being no new ideas and new ideas being buried by the studios.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The sad thing is, too many sequels tend to ruin a franchise. Rocky V was so horridly bad that Stallone had to make another one.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

It's a shame, but don't blame the creatives/writers/directors in Hollywood for the lack of originality. Trust me, it's not by choice or lack of good ideas.

Meh, but how much is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? If that's all they put out, that's what the mindless masses will watch. Eh, maybe I'm tired and I'm off the mark, but you know how I am with Hollywood and originality.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, but how much is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? If that's all they put out, that's what the mindless masses will watch. Eh, maybe I'm tired and I'm off the mark, but you know how I am with Hollywood and originality.

well, when they do put out good stuff without huge special effects, pretty much no one sees them. Long Shot, Booksmart, Roma, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Eigth Grade, Widows, Death Of Stalin, The Favourite... all either good to GREAT movies... none of which made a dent in the box-office. I could go on and on about this over the last couple years. The viewing public at this point wants what they want at the theater and that's pretty much spectacle. Everything else they can watch at home.

Every once in a blue moon you get that high-concept original that blows up like A Quiet Place or Get Out, but that's not only lightning in a bottle, it almost never gets replicated and even those movies don't make ANYWHERE near the massive tentpoles.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
well, when they do put out good stuff without huge special effects, pretty much no one sees them. Long Shot, Booksmart, Roma, Can You Ever Forgive Me, Eigth Grade, Widows, Death Of Stalin, The Favourite... all either good to GREAT movies... none of which made a dent in the box-office. I could go on and on about this over the last couple years. The viewing public at this point wants what they want at the theater and that's pretty much spectacle. Everything else they can watch at home.

Every once in a blue moon you get that high-concept original that blows up like A Quiet Place or Get Out, but that's not only lightning in a bottle, it almost never gets replicated and even those movies don't make ANYWHERE near the massive tentpoles.

You make a great point here. Why bother spending a gazillion dollars to watch a movie that will look just as good on my incredible home theater system? The more expensive it becomes to go to movies, because theaters are chasing the money, the more theaters lose money. A different kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. The need for more money makes the industry less money. Huh.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For the record, my brother went to see Yesterday and said it was a fantastic movie and it's doing OK in the box office.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You make a great point here. Why bother spending a gazillion dollars to watch a movie that will look just as good on my incredible home theater system? The more expensive it becomes to go to movies, because theaters are chasing the money, the more theaters lose money. A different kind of self-fulfilling prophecy. The need for more money makes the industry less money. Huh.

Nutshell. :thumbup: Quite the conundrum.

I started my home theater when they started the gouging for a bucket of popcorn and never looked back. I liked going to the movies and the communal experience, but at some point the long lines, expensive tickets, expensive food, kid kicking the back of my seat, etc. just lost out to the convenience of big screen tv's and a pause button on the dvd player.

All that said, there is a ripe ecosystem between the movie channels and the streaming services to bring amazing and creative stories to the public. Maybe it's just the evolution. :shrug: I can also see why people would be upset and sad to see the end of an era.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I know @Chaplin can tell you really old movies were redone, and sequaled well before some of our times. He would probably know off the top of his head. Just going back to the fifties, Wolfman, Frankenstein, and Dracula all had sequals. If you count Nosfaratu as the first "Dracula" movie, it goes way back. Wasn't Nosfaratu a silent?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson