Suns restructure- Trainer Aaron Nelson to the Pelicans

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah but it wouldn’t be the first time a new gm has done it.

First he fired the coaches... and I said nothing, because I wasn't a coach.

Then he fired the training staff... I said nothing, because I wasn't a trainer...

lol...

kidding.

I think.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Can you elaborate some as why this is so troubling? Which episode are you referencing?

There is one that came out today also, I found the link to it on their Youtube page. Here is a link.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I listened to the last tidbit in which Espo says Mikal Bridges wasn't the pick that McDonough ("front office") wanted and that it was SGA. However, "people who are still sitting in their positions of power" overruled him on it apparently.

I'm pretty sure this was talked about during the season already and I'm guessing McDonough is Espo's source based on the way he somewhat stands up for him.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My wife's a trainer. I'm sure Nelson has done his due diligence over the years and kept up with his continuing ed, but the old school guys (around here at least) definitely seem to be slower to adopt some of the new practices and philosophies. Maybe that's an aspect of it?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
There was some discussion in the most recent Solar Panel Podcast that James Jones might be going through the motions which could lay the groundwork for him to bring in one of his best friends in Juwan Howard.

It's pure speculation of course, but with all the changes Jones is making anything seems possible.

There is not a lot of communication between the front office and the fans. It's reminiscent of the Lance Blanks era which does not bring back good memories.

If there's any truth to this (setting us up to bring in Jones's buddy, Juwan Howard, as the head coach)...any at all...the NBA needs to intervene, and James Jones needs to be banned permanently from working for any NBA franchise. That would make three instances in less than a year of him catering to his buddies at the expense of the franchise for which he is supposed to be working and to which he is supposed to be loyal.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Come on. Every one knows that new people bring in their own people that they like or trust. It's not something new. It should be a given. You/I may not like it, but that's the way it is. Whether they are better or not, well, ??

That doesn't mean, to me, that they should be banned or fired.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Come on. Every one knows that new people bring in their own people that they like or trust. It's not something new. It should be a given. You/I may not like it, but that's the way it is. Whether they are better or not, well, ??

Except that Juwan Howard is not qualified to be a head coach, Jones did Lebron and the Lakers a favor by giving them Tyson Chandler for free, and he did Riley/Spoelstra and the Heat a favor by taking Tyler Johnson's ridiculous contract off their hands, again for nothing...all to the detriment of the franchise for which he was/is working.

That's not "bringing in his people". It's sabotaging his own franchise just to appease his buddies.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice???

JerkFace

(Formerly offset) i have a special purpose
Reaction score
Except that Juwan Howard is not qualified to be a head coach, Jones did Lebron and the Lakers a favor by giving them Tyson Chandler for free, and he did Riley/Spoelstra and the Heat a favor by taking Tyler Johnson's ridiculous contract off their hands, again for nothing...all to the detriment of the franchise for which he was/is working.

That's not "bringing in his people". It's sabotaging his own franchise just to appease his buddies.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice???
I really really really don’t want Jones to hire Howard... But he is definitely qualified (as much as other asst that have been hired) and will probably get a head coaching opportunity sooner than later.
The only problem with giving away Chandler for free is that we should of done it a couple of months earlier so that we could of given Melton a longer contract. There were many vastly superior players that were given away for free.
The team played significantly better with Johnson than without.
It’s okay to dislike Jones, but claiming the league should ban him is a laughably ignorant take.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I really really really don’t want Jones to hire Howard... But he is definitely qualified (as much as other asst that have been hired) and will probably get a head coaching opportunity sooner than later.
The only problem with giving away Chandler for free is that we should of done it a couple of months earlier so that we could of given Melton a longer contract. There were many vastly superior players that were given away for free.
The team played significantly better with Johnson than without.
It’s okay to dislike Jones, but claiming the league should ban him is a laughably ignorant take.

I'm just saying put the three together, and it's clear where his loyalties lie...and it's not with the franchise that employs him.

That being said, I cling to hope that the rumor is not true, and that with respect to the coaching hire, Jones will act on behalf of the Suns and not on behalf of his buddies.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was looking up past assistants to Monty Williams and saw something interesting. In his first 4 years as a head coach he had the same trainer, Jon Ishop. Ishop was not the trainer for Monty's last year as the coach of the Pelicans but that is because he went on to become the head trainer for the Pistons, which is also when Jeff Bower went from New Orleans to Detroit. That could mean nothing, could be a hint of what's to come. I'm not sure but considering he's been the trainer under Monty Williams and Jeff Bowers, I wouldn't be surprised to see his name come up as a hiring soon. He left Detroit when Bower and Van Gundy were removed at the end of the 2017-18 season and I don't believe he's been hired anywhere else.

Here is a link to his page on Basketball Reference but it only shows what years he was with a certain team.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/coaches/ishopjo01c.html

Here is a link to a story about him leaving Detroit when Van Gundy was let go.
https://palaceofpistons.com/2018/08/14/report-head-trainer-jon-ishop-no-longer-team/

It also appears he is part of the USA Basketball program as one of the trainers since he's listed on their site but there isn't more info there about him. The only other info I could find is he's 44 years old.

https://www.usab.com/basketball/staff/i/jon-ishop.aspx

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score

Seriously, this seems to work for President Trump! Just saying.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
This is not a political thread.
I didn't mean it political. I am saying even at the highest job in the nation, it's human nature to hire guys you know, and know how they perform.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I found this link to an article about the Suns training staff. It may have already been posted but it's more detailed than anything I remember.

With all the talk about injuries I thought it might be helpful.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...otes-on-the-new-training-facility-coming-soon

I think it goes without saying that every time Sarver (and this time Jones as well) has tried to go cheap and bring in people without experience, it has been a disaster. This is certainly no exception.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The new training staff has not impressed at all.

Aaron Nelson's staff had also sucked out loud for nearly a decade, I don't give half a crap that he is gone. The Pelicans have been decimated by injuries this year, he isn't a miracle worker.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The new training staff has not impressed at all.

Aaron Nelson's staff had also sucked out loud for nearly a decade, I don't give half a crap that he is gone. The Pelicans have been decimated by injuries this year, he isn't a miracle worker.

At least the Pelicans aren't down to 7 healthy players.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I wonder if we dropped under 5 guys total, say everyone gets hurt the next couple games, I can't remember an NBA game were a team forfeited and didn't play. Do we get to play all our G league guys?

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wonder if we dropped under 5 guys total, say everyone gets hurt the next couple games, I can't remember an NBA game were a team forfeited and didn't play. Do we get to play all our G league guys?

Do we really want to do that and lose by 100? I would rather forfeit.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Do we really want to do that and lose by 100? I would rather forfeit.
That's what I mean. I wonder what the NBA would do. They obviously do not want a forfeit. They also don't want a 100 point laugher either.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They're not there right now... they've basically been there a few times this year. Other than Hayes (who has "only" missed 3 games) everyone on their roster has missed a decent chunk of playing time.

I am not saying our current training staff is any good at all, but I don't give a crap that Aaron Nelson is gone. The Suns have been a trauma ward for 10 years, the Pelicans have been a mess all season. Nelson's magic has worn off.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson