Suns restructure- Trainer Aaron Nelson to the Pelicans

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Aaron Nelson to be hired by New Orleans. More changes to come?

Marc Stein‏Verified account @TheSteinLine

Also out of Phoenix: League sources say that the Pelicans have successfully recruited noted Suns athletic trainer Aaron Nelson to make the move to New Orleans

5:46 PM - 29 Apr 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
David Griffin appears to be instrumental in the move.

Nelson has been a fixture with the Suns' vaunted athletic training staff for two decades and was a prime target for new Pelicans EVP of Basketball Operations David Griffin, who previously worked alongside Nelson first-hand in Phoenix

5:48 PM - 29 Apr 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I'm going to add this tweet as posted by @Superbone on another thread.

It looks like the Suns are actively reorganizing.

The Suns don't know the identity of their next coach but league sources say they are closing in on the hiring of Gonzaga's Riccardo Fois to take on a top player development role in Phoenix

5:28 PM - 29 Apr 2019

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Looking back, the changes in basketball operations started with Jeff Bower being hired as senior vice president of basketball operations and James Jones being promoted to the General Manager position.

Fois will handle analytics.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is troubling.

Did anyone hear the solar panel podcast, it really paints a dismal picture if true.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm out for a while. I need to take a break from this team for a bit. At least a few weeks.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is troubling.

Did anyone hear the solar panel podcast, it really paints a dismal picture if true.

I'm not familiar with what you're talking about, can you elaborate?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The Solar Panel is Greg Esposito's podcast. Dave King from Bright Side is a regular on it also. I know Espo doesn't have a lot of support here, but he did work for the organization and does have at least some insight into Sarver and the team.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Our training staff's ability to keep players healthy the last few years has been anything but impressive. They built their rep on keeping Nash and Hill on the court but that was a loooooong time ago.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is troubling.

Can you elaborate some as why this is so troubling? Which episode are you referencing?

This is the latest Solar Panel Podcast I could find. It's on April 22nd.

Sam Vecenie from The Athletic gets gets into things at about the 32 minute mark.

https://www.brightsideofthesun.com/...discusses-phoenix-suns-idiot-proof-off-season

There is one that came out today also, I found the link to it on their Youtube page. Here is a link.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It's over 40 minutes long. No one can sum up? So far they are just rehashing everything we alreafy now. What part is really disrurbing that people are upset at?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Can you elaborate some as why this is so troubling? Which episode are you referencing?

There is one that came out today also, I found the link to it on their Youtube page. Here is a link.

I just listened to the last one. Only 50 more minutes to go. LOL

Probably do it tomorrow. Thanks for letting the forum know.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's over 40 minutes long. No one can sum up? So far they are just rehashing everything we alreafy now. What part is really disrurbing that people are upset at?

Especially since I rarely agree with King and can't stomach listening to Espo.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I found that a minute before posting it, haven't listened yet. I'm not sure what is supposed to be so "disturbing" though, or whether it's in that episode posted 9 hours ago or the previous one that Mainstreet linked. I like listening on Youtube because you can play it at 1.5x or 2.0x speed. Depending on whose show it is, 1.5x speed is preferable because it speeds it up enough that everything can be understand but gets you through it quicker.

I don't get why some people go out of their way to be vague. Surely they realized saying something like that would lead to questions.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I found that a minute before posting it, haven't listened yet. I'm not sure what is supposed to be so "disturbing" though, or whether it's in that episode posted 9 hours ago or the previous one that Mainstreet linked. I like listening on Youtube because you can play it at 1.5x or 2.0x speed. Depending on whose show it is, 1.5x speed is preferable because it speeds it up enough that everything can be understand but gets you through it quicker.

I don't get why some people go out of their way to be vague. Surely they realized saying something like that would lead to questions.
I was confused because the episode I listened to is all stuff we have talked about already.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was confused because the episode I listened to is all stuff we have talked about already.

I'm 25 minutes into this next one, there really isn't any new information discussed. The guest, Ashley Nevel, says that TJ was scrimmaging while he was out "hurt" and that it was more that his time here was up rather than he was truly that hurt. He was hurt but he should have returned sooner.

Also it was said that Sarver did not fly to meet Monty Williams or the Portland coaches.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I listened to the latest episode and heard nothing new that would cause concern. That's not to say there aren't certain things to be concerned about but there was no new information that hasn't been discussed at length here.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Especially since I rarely agree with King and can't stomach listening to Espo.
then don't listen

Ashley Nevel is the worst, she comes across as someone who is way too convinced of her own interpretation and it sells it as fact. Does not seem credible at all more like another wannabe "reporter" that is way too hyper-sensationalist.

She said things along the lines that TJ Warren and Josh Jackson will be traded and that TJ Warren was not really injured but did not want to play for the Suns anymore etc.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
surprised Nelson left.

I was pretty sure Sarver was going to match anything New Orleans would offer. Maybe Nelson just wanted to try something different or Sarver did not match, who knows...

It is not like our medical record has been stellar. All the reputation our training staff got stems from Grant Hill. Seemed to me that in the last 10 years or so we had tons of seemingly minor nagging injuries.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
surprised Nelson left.

I was pretty sure Sarver was going to match anything New Orleans would offer. Maybe Nelson just wanted to try something different or Sarver did not match, who knows...

It is not like our medical record has been stellar. All the reputation our training staff got stems from Grant Hill. Seemed to me that in the last 10 years or so we had tons of seemingly minor nagging injuries.

Yeah, I've been talking about the nagging injuries and the possibility our vaunted training staff is overrated for a few years now. But OTOH they can only do so much if the players aren't following the instructions, particularly lifestyle choices (regular sleep, avoiding alcohol and processed food etc.) I'm not saying that's what's happening but with so many young players I wouldn't be surprised.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I should mention; while I am not too saddened by Nelson's departure, this is the kind of "pound wise, penny foolish" move that I don't trust Sarver with at all. I hope we hire... an actual athletic trainer, someone in sports medicine... and not his allergy doctor or something.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn