Please defend Al Holcomb

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I cannot. By a margin of 3 to 1, frustration is directed towards McCoy's offense and for a good reason.

With 30% of the season in books it is time to wonder what happened to a mostly good defensive unit from previous seasons?

The dude made Corey Peters, Deone Buccanon disappear from the map. Wasn't Corey Peters the best run stopper last year and a top interior DLine player in the league? What about Olsen Pierre who played really well last season. And what is up with Reddick being on 100% of snaps against 49ers after disappearing in game 2. And Buccanon on 4%. I am not yet talking about the zone defense from start of game to end of game defending pass!

Does Holcomb know what he is doing? Anyone see adjustments at half time to stop either run or pass or anything positive?

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The defense has been put in an impossible situation this year. We played 2 games worth of plays against the 49ers. There gassed out by half time you can't just keep your D on the field all game long.

The defense has been a nice surprise. First 2 games the whole team got roasted but the last 3 our defense did more than enough to win but our offense has been a flat out joke.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The defense has been put in an impossible situation this year. We played 2 games worth of plays against the 49ers. There gassed out by half time you can't just keep your D on the field all game long.

The defense has been a nice surprise. First 2 games the whole team got roasted but the last 3 our defense did more than enough to win but our offense has been a flat out joke.

Part of the reason the D is on the field all game long is aside from one game they have been terrible on third downs. That isn't all on the offense, this defense has been a HUGE disappointment this season.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I feel like we are watching another bend don't break defense, it is pathetic to watch, but it took Bettcher a while to find his spine, so I hope this staff learns what aggression means as well.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I feel like we are watching another bend don't break defense, it is pathetic to watch, but it took Bettcher a while to find his spine, so I hope this staff learns what aggression means as well.

Bettcher lead one of the most aggressive defenses in the NFL in each season he was here.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I cannot. By a margin of 3 to 1, frustration is directed towards McCoy's offense and for a good reason.

With 30% of the season in books it is time to wonder what happened to a mostly good defensive unit from previous seasons?

The dude made Corey Peters, Deone Buccanon disappear from the map. Wasn't Corey Peters the best run stopper last year and a top interior DLine player in the league? What about Olsen Pierre who played really well last season. And what is up with Reddick being on 100% of snaps against 49ers after disappearing in game 2. And Buccanon on 4%. I am not yet talking about the zone defense from start of game to end of game defending pass!

Does Holcomb know what he is doing? Anyone see adjustments at half time to stop either run or pass or anything positive?

Through Week 4, the Cards defense was 11th in DVOA. They're not bad. They got 5 turnovers last week. The defense has to find a way to get off the field, but weren't the Seahawks 0-for-game on 3rd down two weeks ago?

What I don't understand is what Wilks and Holcomb were doing all preseason. Wholesale changes in the back-7 through the first month of the season.

I think that guys have been injured at DT, and that's been a problem. Corey Peters, IMO, has been playing really well; it's not really his fault that the LBs can't flow to the ball and clean up these plays.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bettcher lead one of the most aggressive defenses in the NFL in each season he was here.

I was comparing it to Bowles, a step down in aggressiveness (mainly in WHEN to take risks - Bowles went cover zero when the game was on the line), but that seemed to change over time. Could be a poor memory on my part though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Through Week 4, the Cards defense was 11th in DVOA. They're not bad. They got 5 turnovers last week. The defense has to find a way to get off the field, but weren't the Seahawks 0-for-game on 3rd down two weeks ago?

What I don't understand is what Wilks and Holcomb were doing all preseason. Wholesale changes in the back-7 through the first month of the season.

I think that guys have been injured at DT, and that's been a problem. Corey Peters, IMO, has been playing really well; it's not really his fault that the LBs can't flow to the ball and clean up these plays.
This all day!

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love to see Holcomb's defense vs McCoy's offense IRL.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Wilkes assembled a star studded staff. Not.

last HC hired gets the scraps.

That's a good take. I forgot that and didn't really pay attention but it explains a lot.

Still I'd say in a case like that you'd just have to expand out your search and move down the rungs and be better at spotting up and comming talent since the proven ones would go elsewhere.

If you really want to be a HC in the NFL it would be a good idea to have plans A through Z on staffing.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah I agree.

The problem with the LBs not being able to flow to the ball is that the Cardinals for the most part only have Two LBs on the field. Until the Cardinals can find a serviceable 3rd LB, teams are just going to run the ball against this light defense IMO.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
yeah I agree.

The problem with the LBs not being able to flow to the ball is that the Cardinals for the most part only have Two LBs on the field. Until the Cardinals can find a serviceable 3rd LB, teams are just going to run the ball against this light defense IMO.

I dunno. I think that Baker is that guy. He's a Dollar 'Backer who can cover. You just can't have two of these little guys on the field, so that's why Deone is sitting on the bench.

We need an actual linebacker with NFL talent. You can win when Josh Bynes is your 3rd-best linebacker, but you can't when he's your best guy.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bowles D sucked for 4-5 weeks or so too the first year IIRC. Also, I said it when we didn’t make changes in the off-season: Carolina had two 330+Lb DT’s protecting Kuechley and Davis. We have a 300lb guy and Nkimdiche who is like 290 last I checked.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bowles D sucked for 4-5 weeks or so too the first year IIRC. Also, I said it when we didn’t make changes in the off-season: Carolina had two 330+Lb DT’s protecting Kuechley and Davis. We have a 300lb guy and Nkimdiche who is like 290 last I checked.

Doesn't matter what Diche weighs when he is inactive. Can't be disruptive from the trainers room.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno. I think that Baker is that guy. He's a Dollar 'Backer who can cover. You just can't have two of these little guys on the field, so that's why Deone is sitting on the bench.

We need an actual linebacker with NFL talent. You can win when Josh Bynes is your 3rd-best linebacker, but you can't when he's your best guy.

I don't think the Cardinals want to play Baker at LB but they have no one else who can play that 3rd LB with any competency. So they would rather have playmakers like Bethea, Boston and Baker on the field over a 3rd LB who is a liability.

Totally agree with you that the Cardinals need actual LB talent. Bynes is solid but he can't be your Best LB.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

Start by keeping our defense off the field. 40 minutes last Sunday? 93 snaps? Yikes

The offense's ineptitude is so bad that it's having a spillover effect on the defense. Get that down to less than 30 min and things will look a lot better.

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Give the Wilks/Holcomb defense some time. While there are still too many mistakes, it got better after looking hopeless in the first two weeks. Remember it's a completely different defensive philosophy than what we ran under Horton/Bowles/Bettcher for years. But when looking around the league, this type of defense has proven to be more successful in recent years than what we ran previously. If by the end of the season there is no improvement, I'd be worried. But not yet.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

To coattail your comment.

Finding a linebacker with NFL talent is tough these days since college is so spread out there are not many NFL sized, and skilled linebackers.

Yet, there seems like there are solid linebackers that can be had in the 4th round or later in the NFL draft.

The Cardinals are too busy picking small school defensive backs and wide receivers to cash in on it, but the opportunity has been there for the Cardinals time, and time again.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson