15 thoughts - Giants game

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Congratulation of being elected as Walter Payton Man of the Year, Corey Peters!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - I am so happy for Haason Reddick. Being a stud in college – being drafted in the first round to play a new position – struggling under various defensive position coaches and coordinators – pretty much being a lock for being cut after this season – to now having a single game franchise record and playing so well. I am very proud of him.

2 – The broadcast is of course a huge part of an NFL game when you are watching it on TV (as I always am for obvious reasons), and I was pleasantly surprised by Jonathan Vilma. I had not heard him as an analyst before, but I hope I will often from now on.

3 – I am not saying there is anything covert about it, but it is a little convenient that Zane Gonzalez suddenly gets injured and needs to be replaced.

4 – Zach Allen has been playing really well this season.

5 – It is kind of an underrated wide receiver-skill to knock the ball away from the defender before he gets an interception. Nuk Hopkins saved one in the first half, and I am willing to promise that there is no coincidence to his “technique” in those situations.

6 – Again again again Justin Murray made the most of his snaps at either guard spot. Why is he not starting?

7 – Edge rush-stats:

Markus Golden had the least average separation from the quarterback (and by far lower than league average) among Cards pass rushers.

Haason Reddick made three of the ten fastest sacks in this NFL round.

8 – I was underrating Dennis Gardeck when I said earlier this season that his tribute-to-Chandler Jones-sack dance was horrible. I certainly stand by that claim, but it turns out that he was able to do worse.

9 – Now it is several games in a row that Dan Arnold has lived up to the hype from training camp. That makes it a tendency.

10 – This season, the Cards has won equally as many games at that stadium as the Giants.

11 – Talk about a comeback-party for Markus Golden with a sack-fumble-scoop-run 30 yards on the fifth play against his former team.

12 – Through the first eight games, Kyler Murray threw for an average of at least 8.6 air yards per attempt (the other seven games were all over 9.2). For the last five games, that number has been 7.2 or lower – with the lowest yet this weekend with 5.9 intended air yards per attempt.

So, what is the reason? Bad offensive line? Bad wide receivers? Bad playcall? I don’t know, but I think we can all agree that the offense was both more effective and fun when Murray tried more air yards.

13 – Does anyone know why Lamont Gaillard suddenly took several snaps at center from Mason Cole? I was very excited to see it. Who knows if he is better than Cole, but Cole has been below average for many games in a row now, so at least some sort of changing is exciting to me.

14 – Andy Isabella a healthy scratch? Are you kidding me? Just cut him right now and spare us the annoyance to constantly be reminded how bad a pick that was.

15 – Beat Philadelphia and San Francisco and you’re in.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As far as guys getting benched/ not playing with no injury good

Do your job or get replaced by someone who can.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
one thing i noticed yesterday:

K1 seemed more willing to work the layer between LB and deep S more

prior: everything seemed like it was worked underneath that layer

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - I am so happy for Haason Reddick. Being a stud in college – being drafted in the first round to play a new position – struggling under various defensive position coaches and coordinators – pretty much being a lock for being cut after this season – to now having a single game franchise record and playing so well. I am very proud of him.

2 – The broadcast is of course a huge part of an NFL game when you are watching it on TV (as I always am for obvious reasons), and I was pleasantly surprised by Jonathan Vilma. I had not heard him as an analyst before, but I hope I will often from now on.

3 – I am not saying there is anything covert about it, but it is a little convenient that Zane Gonzalez suddenly gets injured and needs to be replaced.

5 – It is kind of an underrated wide receiver-skill to knock the ball away from the defender before he gets an interception. Nuk Hopkins saved one in the first half, and I am willing to promise that there is no coincidence to his “technique” in those situations.

6 – Again again again Justin Murray made the most of his snaps at either guard spot. Why is he not starting?

7 – Edge rush-stats:

Markus Golden had the least average separation from the quarterback (and by far lower than league average) among Cards pass rushers.

8 – I was underrating Dennis Gardeck when I said earlier this season that his tribute-to-Chandler Jones-sack dance was horrible. I certainly stand by that claim, but it turns out that he was able to do worse.

9 – Now it is several games in a row that Dan Arnold has lived up to the hype from training camp. That makes it a tendency.

10 – This season, the Cards has won equally as many games at that stadium as the Giants.

11 – Talk about a comeback-party for Markus Golden with a sack-fumble-scoop-run 30 yards on the fifth play against his former team.

12 – Through the first eight games, Kyler Murray threw for an average of at least 8.6 air yards per attempt (the other seven games were all over 9.2). For the last five games, that number has been 7.2 or lower – with the lowest yet this weekend with 5.9 intended air yards per attempt.

So, what is the reason? Bad offensive line? Bad wide receivers? Bad playcall? I don’t know, but I think we can all agree that the offense was both more effective and fun when Murray tried more air yards.

13 – Does anyone know why Lamont Gaillard suddenly took several snaps at center from Mason Cole? I was very excited to see it. Who knows if he is better than Cole, but Cole has been below average for many games in a row now, so at least some sort of changing is exciting to me.

14 – Andy Isabella a healthy scratch? Are you kidding me? Just cut him right now and spare us the annoyance to constantly be reminded how bad a pick that was.

4 – Zach Allen has been playing really well this season. We have been watching different games. He has been poor most of the season when he has been out there generating little pass rush and sacks. He had a good game by his standards, but everyone on the line did.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do we have another player called Zach Allen?

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
I read somewhere Cole graded out at a 7.2 (out of 100)... I didn’t really pay attention to him though but I did notice Gaillard in late.

on a side note for some reason Cole is like 4th in the league in pro bowl votes for the center position? Why? And Humphries is not even in the top 10 for offensive tackles

also someone on Twitter was arguing with me saying Jordan Hicks is “awesome” because he has “so many tackles”. Pretty laughable

Reaction score

Personally I'd rather have a kicker that has a chance to make those long kicks at the end of half. Yes Zane has had some struggles, and it's beyond frustrating. But there has to be a better replacement than a guy that doesn't have a leg to make 50 yarders?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do we have another player called Zach Allen?

I commented in the game thread yesterday there was a play where he shed his block and started closing on Jones and it looked like he was running in sand or mud he was so slow. I suspect he's not healthy, he was never great but I don't remember him being glacially slow before

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
The O-line got markedly worse--especialy run blocking-- when Sweezy came back and Murray placed back to spot duty. He is a major upgrade in my opinion.

One of my favorite things to post this season is Galliard>>>Cole.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

7 – Edge rush-stats:

6 & 13
Justin Murray & Gaillard should both be starting. I think Mason Cole is just not that strong. I watched Gaillard in the SEC against many strong & physical defensive lineman & he's better suited for the position imo. Much stronger. Our OL is better when them 2 are in there. Sweezy will be gone after this season & Murray will be the starting RG. Pugh has 1 more year on his deal so the front office will have to decide about him after 2021.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As far as guys getting benched/ not playing with no injury good

Do your job or get replaced by someone who can.

Finito, you are absolutely right, and I thought about that right until I posted. That it would be strange to make any covert thing to a release of a kicker. Not that it is impossible, though.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
4 – Zach Allen has been playing really well this season. We have been watching different games. He has been poor most of the season when he has been out there generating little pass rush and sacks. He had a good game by his standards, but everyone on the line did.

Well, DCR, I think he is playing better than that. I think he does well in occupying blockers so that others can make the plays, and I think he gives enough pass rush to affect plays.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The O-line got markedly worse--especialy run blocking-- when Sweezy came back and Murray placed back to spot duty. He is a major upgrade in my opinion.

One of my favorite things to post this season is Galliard>>>Cole.

LC, I could not have said it better. I obviously don’t know if it would work markedly better, but it would be so exciting to me if Murray and Gaillard were inserted fulltime.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
6 & 13
Justin Murray & Gaillard should both be starting. I think Mason Cole is just not that strong. I watched Gaillard in the SEC against many strong & physical defensive lineman & he's better suited for the position imo. Much stronger. Our OL is better when them 2 are in there. Sweezy will be gone after this season & Murray will be the starting RG. Pugh has 1 more year on his deal so the front office will have to decide about him after 2021.

CFL, would you agree that Pugh has been their best offensive lineman this season? I really think they should keep him – though I agree they will have to decide after this season.

Vacard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling about Philly.

Jalen will Hurt us.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
CFL, would you agree that Pugh has been their best offensive lineman this season? I really think they should keep him – though I agree they will have to decide after this season.
Best interior OL yes but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to be dominate just yet. As far as OL, Beachum has been pretty damn good imo. Humphries hasn't been dominate but I think he's only given up like 2 sacks so far? Haven't looked up the grades or numbers on any one of them but I did read a little on Humphries. I think he had only gave up one until the Rams game & I know he gave up one more in that game.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, DCR, I think he is playing better than that. I think he does well in occupying blockers so that others can make the plays, and I think he gives enough pass rush to affect plays.

It is clear to me that everyone sees this game differently. I think in this occasion though, you'd be in the minority.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Best interior OL yes but I'm not sure if he's strong enough to be dominate just yet. As far as OL, Beachum has been pretty damn good imo. Humphries hasn't been dominate but I think he's only given up like 2 sacks so far? Haven't looked up the grades or numbers on any one of them but I did read a little on Humphries. I think he had only gave up one until the Rams game & I know he gave up one more in that game.

You know, four or five times when I have written these columns, I have thought about including that I think Beachum are playing at least above average. At least as well as we could have hoped.

Here is a link from last night where it is being said that Justin Murray will start the next game:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You know, four or five times when I have written these columns, I have thought about including that I think Beachum are playing at least above average. At least as well as we could have hoped.

Here is a link from last night where it is being said that Justin Murray will start the next game:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Beachum has played very well. I still hate the fact we never got a snap out of Marcus Gilbert though. I know he's never been healthy his entire career but when he was & playing to his potential he was a top 5 OT in the NFL. Doubt we'll ever see him play a down for us & now we have Josh Jones.

Bkbobo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Beachum has played very well. I still hate the fact we never got a snap out of Marcus Gilbert though. I know he's never been healthy his entire career but when he was & playing to his potential he was a top 5 OT in the NFL. Doubt we'll ever see him play a down for us & now we have Josh Jones.

It took me a minute to figure out who Marcus Gilbert was, lol. Would have loved to see what he could have done if healthy.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It took me a minute to figure out who Marcus Gilbert was, lol. Would have loved to see what he could have done if healthy.

Don't be surprised if he's back next year.

Beachum is going to want to get paid and we simply don't have the money. Plus we have Josh Jones to come through. Gilbert is tied to a vet min contract in a down cap year.

Very likely they let Beachum test the market and role with Jones / Gilbert.