My Round 1 Mock

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Let me know what you all think. I don’t try to predict draft day trades.

1) Cleveland- Sam Darnold QB USC

2) New York (G)- Bradley Chubb DE N.C. State

3) New York (J)- Josh Rosen QB UCLA

4) Cleveland- Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

5) Denver- Josh Allen QB Wyoming

6) Indianapolis- Quenton Nelson OG Notre Dame

7) Tampa Bay- Minkah Fitzpatrick Safety Alabama

8) Chicago- Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

9) San Francisco- Derwin James Safety Florida State

10) Oakland- Roquan Smith LB Georgia

11) Miami- Tremaine Edmunds LB Va Tech

12) Buffalo- Baker Mayfield QB Oklahoma

13) Washington- Da’ron Payne DT Alabama

14) Green Bay- Josh Jackson CB Iowa

15) Arizona- Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame

16) Baltimore- Calvin Ridley WR Alabama

17) San Diego- Connor Williams OT Texas

18) Seattle- Kolton Miller OT UCLA

19) Dallas- Vita Vea DT Washington

20) Detroit- Harold Landry DE Boston College

21) Cincinnati- Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise State

22) Buffalo- Brian O’Neill OT Pittsburgh

23) New England- Arden Key Edge LSU

24) Carolina- Marcus Davenport DE UTSA

25) Tennessee- DJ Moore WR Maryland

26) Atlanta- Taven Bryan DT Florida

27) New Orleans- Billy Price OG/C Ohio State

28) Pittsburgh- Rashaan Evans LB Alabama

29) Jacksonville- Cortland Sutton WR SMU

30) Minnesota- Will Hernandez OG UTEP

31) New England- Jaire Alexander CB Louisville

32) Philadelphia- Hayden Hurst TE South Carolina

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whenever I see Notre Dame OL guys going so high, I can't help but remember how they were ,manhandled by the U of Miami defense this year.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't quite get the overall logic with going for McGlinchey. It doesn't fill our needs, he's not a transcendentally elite talent, we already have a young LT.

It wouldn't blow my mind if he were the pick, but with the absolutely terrible WR & CB corps, I don't see how we can do it. (Just because I don't see how we can do it doesn't mean I'd be shocked at all if this was the Cardinals' pick.)

Nice mock overall.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope it happens that both Rudolph and Jackson fall out of the first round. I think they will not, however. But, if they did, we could maybe move up for one of them in early round 2 like we did for Budda last year.

I also agree with Solar7 that I would rather see a WR or CB taken if we don't take a QB.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like your early predictions as order stands now. I don't hate McGlinchey, but I don't value him as a mid 1st.. I would rate James Daniels and Isaiah Wynn higher. I see both of them as probowlers because of their excellent technique and athletic ability.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't quite get the overall logic with going for McGlinchey. It doesn't fill our needs, he's not a transcendentally elite talent, we already have a young LT.

It wouldn't blow my mind if he were the pick, but with the absolutely terrible WR & CB corps, I don't see how we can do it. (Just because I don't see how we can do it doesn't mean I'd be shocked at all if this was the Cardinals' pick.)

Nice mock overall.

I think McGlinchey is a solid pass blocker that can come in and start day one on the right or left side.

In my opinion, there is more depth to be had in later rounds at the CB and WR position. In the second players such as WR Christian Kirk, WR Anthony miller, CB Mike Hughes, CB Carlton David, and so on could be just as impactful day one as Calvin Ridley or Jaire Alexander. Whereas at the tackle position, which I feel is a need with Hump and Smith’s health in question, Orlando Brown and Ochumwa Okorafor I see more as projects than impacts.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like your early predictions as order stands now. I don't hate McGlinchey, but I don't value him as a mid 1st.. I would rate James Daniels and Isaiah Wynn higher. I see both of them as probowlers because of their excellent technique and athletic ability.

I think both James Daniels and Isaiah Wynn as 2 picks only because of their position. They both can be solid guards in today’s game and could slide into the back half of the first round. I’m always reluctant to put guards in the 1st round because there seems to always be an all-pro/probowl guard taken in the 5th round or later.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I hope it happens that both Rudolph and Jackson fall out of the first round. I think they will not, however. But, if they did, we could maybe move up for one of them in early round 2 like we did for Budda last year.

I also agree with Solar7 that I would rather see a WR or CB taken if we don't take a QB.

I don’t think either slide out of the first round because someone will trade back up into the 1st to get their qb and have the 5th year option that comes with being a first round pick. I just don’t like to predict trades because it gets too messy. I like your thinking though because I would like the cardinals to package a couple picks to move back into the first to get either

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are a number of available guys who could go before McGlinchy - Vea, Ridley, Landry, (surprise) Vander Esch etc. Or maybe McGlinchey at #15.

It all depends on how each of the first 15 teams' (& possible trading partners') boards are stacked.

By and large, though, I liked the thinking that went into your mock.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
If Baker Mayfield falls to eleven or Rosen and we do not make an attempt to move up, and then we get to fifteen and Lamar Jackson is still there and we do nothing, then someone takes Lauletta in the second and we make no attempt, well, there is absolutely nothing which makes me expect we will take one of the lesser QBs available next year. This is all fine and dandy looking at the other talent but we simply do not have a stable QB position with youth. We are not allowed to eat dessert like other teams who already have a QB. We cannot compliment this team when we do not have a viable quarterback for the long haul yet... this front office is dragging their feet and the result is this franchise is going to keep dragging without one

Reaction score
There are a number of available guys who could go before McGlinchy - Vea, Ridley, Landry, (surprise) Vander Esch etc. Or maybe McGlinchey at #15.

It all depends on how each of the first 15 teams' (& possible trading partners') boards are stacked.

I would rather have Vea or Leighton Vander Esch as well.

raptor100

Rookie
Reaction score
There are some posters on this BOARD that are OBSESSED with LJ. And they may be right but I doubt it.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Thank you. I think this is the most unpredictable draft in a long time because of the QBs and amount of size and athletic ability. Players like Vander esch Davenport and Edmunds are massive, explosive players that teams love and makes it hard to see which team pulls the trigger on them earlier than expected. Rumored the 9ers have done a lot of homework on Davenport and could be their pick at 9 instead of Derwin James. If James is there at 10 I wouldn’t hesitate to trade up and draft him if I’m the Cardinals

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Baker Mayfield falls to eleven or Rosen and we do not make an attempt to move up, and then we get to fifteen and Lamar Jackson is still there and we do nothing, then someone takes Lauletta in the second and we make no attempt, well, there is absolutely nothing which makes me expect we will take one of the lesser QBs available next year. This is all fine and dandy looking at the other talent but we simply do not have a stable QB position with youth. We are not allowed to eat dessert like other teams who already have a QB. We cannot compliment this team when we do not have a viable quarterback for the long haul yet... this front office is dragging their feet and the result is this franchise is going to keep dragging without one

I think we need to build our team up around the qb position as well as at the qb position. What better way than giving him a little more protection? I would like to see us make a play for Lamar Jackson, but I think we can trade up back into the first to get him. I don’t think the QBs will fly off the board as much as some because there is a lot of talent still on the board.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yours isn't the only one that has us taking McGlinchey at 15. However, there are several mocks which have him dropping out of the first round.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like McGlinchey for the Cards. We would have book end tackles with Humphrey at LT and MG at RT.

"Notre Dame will even tell you that McGlinchey is better on the right side than the left side. He's just more comfortable and consistent there so that's probably where you play him. I think everyone tries to beat him up too much. He's going to play in our league and be a decent starter." - -AFC team personnel executive

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would rather have Vea or Leighton Vander Esch as well.

I’m not a a big Vander Esch fan because he only has one year of starting experience and is still learning the position much like Reddick last year. I’d much rather have raashan Evans before Vander esch in this scenario

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think McGlinchey is a solid pass blocker that can come in and start day one on the right or left side.

In my opinion, there is more depth to be had in later rounds at the CB and WR position. In the second players such as WR Christian Kirk, WR Anthony miller, CB Mike Hughes, CB Carlton David, and so on could be just as impactful day one as Calvin Ridley or Jaire Alexander. Whereas at the tackle position, which I feel is a need with Hump and Smith’s health in question, Orlando Brown and Ochumwa Okorafor I see more as projects than impacts.
Oh, I would not deny that the Oline needs a pick or two in this draft. I am optimistic about Wetzel based on his play the last few games of last season. But, we need more competition at the very least.

If we draft Christian Kirk in round 2, I will go nuts. I would LOVE that pick.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Oh, I would not deny that the Oline needs a pick or two in this draft. I am optimistic about Wetzel based on his play the last few games of last season. But, we need more competition at the very least.

If we draft Christian Kirk in round 2, I will go nuts. I would LOVE that pick.

Kirk is my favorite WR in this years draft because of his work ethic. Not the most physically gifted, but works hard to become better.

OP
OP
AZfaninMN

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yours isn't the only one that has us taking McGlinchey at 15. However, there are several mocks which have him dropping out of the first round.

It’s hard to imagine the best OT in the draft falling out of the first, but it shows how times have changed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson