Why not Manziel?

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If he's gotten off the sauce, it could be a very low-risk, high reward kind of move.

Say he took the vet minimum. Would you do it?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but I've never been a fan of his. Predicting injuries is bad enough but taking a chance on a guy with personality/motivation/addiction issues is really asking a lot. From what I've seen, personality red flags don't usually go away.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heck he is probably better than glennon as a backup... and could have upside if he is off alchol.

But I don't see cards pursuing him.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
No problem with a tryout and camp arm situation depending on what happens at QB in the draft

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It wasn't just alcohol. He was a cokehead and occasional smoker. Heck maybe more. But those are the only three I'm 100 percent sure of.

He was a mess, drinking during college games, flying off to Vegas instead of going for treatment during the season, lying.

He was a complete scumbag.

I hope he has turned around his life. Even without his problems he has quite a bit of disadvantages for the NFL.

Some people compare him to Mayfield. Mayfield is 10x the talent Manziel ever was.

Manziel was carried by his stud OL and WR's. Chuck it up and pray Evans would come down with it. 1st round OL'men.

He has to prove it at a lower level first imo. I also want to see the guy stay clean past his probation. Right now he has the long arm of the law ready to throw him under the jail if he screws up.

sdscard4

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He got married and has been sober for awhile. He has admitted to being bi polar and himself has admitted he's a recovering alcoholic. He's going in the right direction as he's laid it all out. I think an invite to training camp is not necessarily out of the picture but he definitely needs to prove himself. He's humble now which is good to see

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
doesnt matter. we are going to have to bring Byron Leftwich out of retirement by week 10 anyway

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
It wasn't just alcohol. He was a cokehead and occasional smoker. Heck maybe more. But those are the only three I'm 100 percent sure of.

He was a mess, drinking during college games, flying off to Vegas instead of going for treatment during the season, lying.

He was a complete scumbag.

I hope he has turned around his life. Even without his problems he has quite a bit of disadvantages for the NFL.

Some people compare him to Mayfield. Mayfield is 10x the talent Manziel ever was.

Manziel was carried by his stud OL and WR's. Chuck it up and pray Evans would come down with it. 1st round OL'men.

He has to prove it at a lower level first imo. I also want to see the guy stay clean past his probation. Right now he has the long arm of the law ready to throw him under the jail if he screws up.
Sounds like Mayfield, nfl caliber OL and stud receivers. Alcohol issues, tried running from an Arkansas cop and gets planted. Both are immature. No thanks to either one of these clods.

unseenaz

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
let me tell you something, i was actually thinking about this today. bradford is 30 and made of glass, glennon is glennon, and drafting at 15 isn't QBOTF territory. bring him in at vet minimum, see what he's got. if he doesn't have the arm or whatever or shows signs that he's not fully in it, cut him. he won't be expected to compete, i see this as a low risk move.

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
let me tell you something, i was actually thinking about this today. bradford is 30 and made of glass, glennon is glennon, and drafting at 15 isn't QBOTF territory. bring him in at vet minimum, see what he's got. if he doesn't have the arm or whatever or shows signs that he's not fully in it, cut him. he won't be expected to compete, i see this as a low risk move.
No way

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
And not protected for suspensions and injuries.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think there's more to bringing in a guy like Manziel than just plugging him in and seeing if he fits. With a guy like that, it's a circus all the way around. For a new coach and an offense that's going to have to find it's identity, it goes beyond just looking for talent at QB.

When installing a new offense, IMO, you have to be unified about the QB. Bringing in Manziel would be more of a mud on the wall approach. Bradford may or may not work out but I think it's best at this point to not introduce distractions.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If he's gotten off the sauce, it could be a very low-risk, high reward kind of move.

Say he took the vet minimum. Would you do it?

He would have to be ON THE SAUCE to find the courage behind our O-line...

You know how drunk drivers usually survive the crash?... Supposedly because they are loose and don't tense up at the moment of impact, That could help him get past the Rams once or twice.

Do it, but he has to be totally blotto, and have Vodka in his gatorade bottle.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I will gladly take Gabbert over Manziel and its not even close/ SMH

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
13 teams were at his “pro day” and he said he would play for free. I think someone brings him in for the vet min.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson