Why not Manziel?

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Johnny Manziel's potential NFL landing spots: Eight team fits
7) Arizona Cardinals: Arizona signed Sam Bradford, but it's a one-year deal. Bradford's knee is "degenerative," according to his former coach, Mike Zimmer. Seems as though this situation is far from solved. It'll be interesting to see what offense coordinator Mike McCoy implements in Arizona in 2018, because he has a history of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. With Bradford, that's more of a pocket-passing, West Coast attack, with which McCoy has the most history. He's also shown he can run zone-read concepts with more mobile quarterbacks (think: Tim Tebow in Denver). In terms of fit, this one might be the best once one looks beyond Bradford.

The downside: Steve Wilks is a first-year and first-time head coach. Most new coaches aren't going to be open to taking on a foundation-shaking addition like Manziel. This looks better a year from now.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ng-spots-eight-team-fits?campaign=Twitter_atn

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Manziel would be cheap and if his head is on right would be a good QBOTF. I would have no problem bringing him in as the backup and see if he has changed. If he has it's a win-win situation. There is no down side to bringing him in that I can see.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hey, RGIII just signed a 1 year deal with the Ravens. Johnny may just get a chance.

I just hope it's not here.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he's gotten off the sauce, it could be a very low-risk, high reward kind of move.

Say he took the vet minimum. Would you do it?
No.

At best, a distraction. Cards have too many other challenges to straighen out.

PS - His comment - that the Brown mgt should have known he wasn't a film guy - left me cold.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Last thing that the team needs is a locker room cancer. But if he says he has changed. He needs to show it. Not just say it.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last thing that the team needs is a locker room cancer. But if he says he has changed. He needs to show it. Not just say it.

Unless some team signs him how would he show it?

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account@RapSheet 2h2 hours ago
In his first time playing competitive football in forever, Johnny Manziel was 9 of 15 for 83 yards and a TD, while taking 3 sacks in about 2 quarters of Spring League play:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...hnny-manziel-throws-td-in-spring-league-debut

Hmm. 3 sacks. Staying in the pocket?????

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless some team signs him how would he show it?

Hmm. 3 sacks. Staying in the pocket?????

PFT's article suggested he constantly rolled right and was waiting for someone to get open. So my guess is the sacks happened when he waited too long.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...o-play-well-in-canada-to-get-back-to-the-nfl/

In the immediate aftermath of Saturday’s game, Manziel said nothing to suggest that he won’t show up in four days for the second and final game of The Spring League season. (Also, despite characterizations appearing elsewhere suggesting that he complained about the quality of play in The Spring League, his post-game scrum included no general or specific criticism of the players around him.)

Still, to get to the NFL, Manziel will need to show a lot more than what he showed last night. Specifically, he needs to show something more than rolling to the right and waiting for someone to get open. If that’s all he can still do well, NFL defenses will shut it down quickly, and then he’ll be screwed.

CFL defenses will shut it down quickly, too. Which means that it makes sense for Manziel to take advantage of one more chance to get live reps with The Spring League before heading to the CFL. But it’s becoming more and more clear that his effort to get back to the NFL will include an attempt to show dominance in the Canadian league.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Manziel needs a couple "prove it" years in the CFL before he gets another shot at the NFL.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
If he still has his head on straight by then, the new developmental league would be my bet for a landing spot for him. For whatever reason, he seems reticent to playing in the CFL. Which suggests to me that he still doesn't grasp the reality of his situation. Tebow suffered from the same thing. Instead of going and playing and proving themselves, they seem to act entitled to a(another) shot at the NFL. Celebrity gets you only so far and then you have to go and prove it.

That both guys had the opportunity to prove themselves and chose not to, says a lot(to me) as to why NFL teams ultimately gave up on them.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he still has his head on straight by then, the new developmental league would be my bet for a landing spot for him. For whatever reason, he seems reticent to playing in the CFL. Which suggests to me that he still doesn't grasp the reality of his situation. Tebow suffered from the same thing. Instead of going and playing and proving themselves, they seem to act entitled to a(another) shot at the NFL. Celebrity gets you only so far and then you have to go and prove it.

That both guys had the opportunity to prove themselves and chose not to, says a lot(to me) as to why NFL teams ultimately gave up on them.

Both have been offered opportunities to actually play competitive football in the CFL.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
the problem is,... the cfl is in canada.... thats a pretty big issue

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
How often do you see guys come all the way back from how far JF has dropped? And not just QBs, but pretty much any NFL position?

It's weird, but it seems like for pro football, a "reclamation project" type guy has to still stay at the NFL level, at least stay on a roster somewhere, to have any real chance of making a comeback. I guess we could say KW was a reasonable example of this.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn