Game of Thrones (HBO)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, this was a pretty good damn episode but they were bragging it my be the best episode ever? Nah.....I thought the last episode was better but again this one was damn good.

Question....Tyrion is obviously shocked by the presence of Shae with her dad. So, in the books did she simply turn to "daddy" out of scorn or was this a plot from day one to setup Tyrion? That was not clear.

Also, in the book I guess there was more of an exchange of some sort?

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
OK, this was a pretty good damn episode but they were bragging it my be the best episode ever? Nah.....I thought the last episode was better but again this one was damn good.

Question....Tyrion is obviously shocked by the presence of Shae with her dad. So, in the books did she simply turn to "daddy" out of scorn or was this a plot from day one to setup Tyrion? That was not clear.

It was a bit underwhelming, but it did what I predicted it would do: set up many plots for the next season.

Honestly, there's way too much going on at one time that the stories need to gradually come together

Stannis and co. joining with the Knight's Watch hopefully starts this trend

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Excellent episode. The 'duel' I was really annoyed with, and I'm still annoyed with. I don't like that change, but oh well.

Since people have obviously spoiled this part, I'll comment publicly on it.

He was shocked by the presence of Shae, and he did kill her, on the spot, just like that. I was really disappointed they didn't have the Jaime/Tyrion reveal, which I'll put in spoilers, but in the end I suppose it didn't matter. I'm just glad the actress who played Shae, with her idiotic view of 'no, they were really in love', didn't get her way. Shae never loved Tyrion, that much was thankfully made clear.

I really wanted Jaime to admit to Tyrion that his wife Tysha hadn't been a ***** after all, that their father had forced him to lie about it to Tyrion. Tyrion was married to a pure, innocent girl after all. The impact is tremendous on the story. They worked around it, sure, but I was disappointed.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So still read book 4?

One of my buddies told me to read 4 and 5 at the same time.

You might want to read the epilogue of Book 3. It introduces another character that is important to the Brienne chapters later on. You might be a little confused just starting on Book 4 without that background. It is unclear if the show is going to include that character going forward or write around it like they've done with others.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Excellent episode. The 'duel' I was really annoyed with, and I'm still annoyed with. I don't like that change, but oh well.

Since people have obviously spoiled this part, I'll comment publicly on it.

He was shocked by the presence of Shae, and he did kill her, on the spot, just like that. I was really disappointed they didn't have the Jaime/Tyrion reveal, which I'll put in spoilers, but in the end I suppose it didn't matter. I'm just glad the actress who played Shae, with her idiotic view of 'no, they were really in love', didn't get her way. Shae never loved Tyrion, that much was thankfully made clear.

I really wanted Jaime to admit to Tyrion that his wife Tysha hadn't been a ***** after all, that their father had forced him to lie about it to Tyrion. Tyrion was married to a pure, innocent girl after all. The impact is tremendous on the story. They worked around it, sure, but I was disappointed.

My thoughts on the duel:

So I guess they combined Brienne's fight with the fake Hound and his split with Aria into one moment on the TV show. Not the worst consolidation, I guess. I am happy that the Hound gets a bit grander of a send-off than just succumbing to an infected wound. But it did push Pod from entertaining to irredeemably stupid.

Also, no Coldhands, no Lady Stoneheart. Looks like they are pulling back the reigns on the supernatural stuff. Another major death the deviates from the books, Jojen, is not yet dead. And they basically finished Bran's story through Book 5 already! What are they going to do with him? Give him a training montage and leave him off screen for the next 2 seasons?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shae never loved Tyrion, that much was thankfully made clear.

Not so sure. I went back and watched a recap and there are a ton of scenes at least in the HBO series where she is self contemplating and it appears she is in fact in love with Tyrion. I think in the show that is clear but I was more or less wondering how this plays out in the book since I have not read them yet.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Not so sure. I went back and watched a recap and there are a ton of scenes at least in the HBO series where she is self contemplating and it appears she is in fact in love with Tyrion. I think in the show that is clear but I was more or less wondering how this plays out in the book since I have not read them yet.

Book: She is a manipulator through-and-through.

TV: They changed her after the actress auditioned into a more loving character.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either way, Shae was in big trouble. The Imp put her on that position, and the Lannisters weren't going to let her decline helping them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
as soon as she noticed him she grabbed a knife and tried to kill him...

one of the most upsetting parts to me was Ygritte dying, I loved the "you know nothing john snow" and was hoping that story line would continue till the end when I read the books.

Last edited:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My thoughts on the duel:

So I guess they combined Brienne's fight with the fake Hound and his split with Aria into one moment on the TV show. Not the worst consolidation, I guess. I am happy that the Hound gets a bit grander of a send-off than just succumbing to an infected wound. But it did push Pod from entertaining to irredeemably stupid.

Also, no Coldhands, no Lady Stoneheart. Looks like they are pulling back the reigns on the supernatural stuff. Another major death the deviates from the books, Jojen, is not yet dead. And they basically finished Bran's story through Book 5 already! What are they going to do with him? Give him a training montage and leave him off screen for the next 2 seasons?

Maybe, maybe not. Lena Headey posted this a while back

You must be registered for see images attach

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, two months ago I had never seen one episode of GOT. Last night we finished watching the end of season 4. What fun! It feels like a roller coaster and I am now looking forward to re-watching from start to finish just to try and absorb all of those little details that I'm sure I missed on the first round.

I just now caught up on this thread too, so I can finally read without too much fear of getting spoiled. (still avoiding the book readers!)

Looking forward to joining in the convo even though I'm a little late to the party.

Very tempted to start reading the books now too based on the popularity among many of you.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Book: She is a manipulator through-and-through.

TV: They changed her after the actress auditioned into a more loving character.

Hmm, after the scene I kept thinking, no wonder she was never worried about getting caught in Tyrion's room all that time despite his constant worrying.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So where/why did she send Daario away a few episodes ago? Can't remember.

She wanted him to change his face? I hate it when they change actors, it's hard enough to keep track as it is.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, two months ago I had never seen one episode of GOT. Last night we finished watching the end of season 4. What fun! It feels like a roller coaster and I am now looking forward to re-watching from start to finish just to try and absorb all of those little details that I'm sure I missed on the first round.

I just now caught up on this thread too, so I can finally read without too much fear of getting spoiled. (still avoiding the book readers!)

Looking forward to joining in the convo even though I'm a little late to the party.

Very tempted to start reading the books now too based on the popularity among many of you.

Ya, as much as I complained about the books by the time I was ten pages into book 5, I knew it had been worth it.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ya, as much as I complained about the books by the time I was ten pages into book 5, I knew it had been worth it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They only changed actors because the first one took a role in a movie.

not buying it. that's not how TV contracts work, especially for actors. there's no way they didn't lock that guy up with options for multiple seasons knowing he was going to be a player moving forward. if he "took a role in a movie" it's because they kicked his ass to the curb and the excuse just made it look amiable.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
not buying it. that's not how TV contracts work, especially for actors. there's no way they didn't lock that guy up with options for multiple seasons knowing he was going to be a player moving forward. if he "took a role in a movie" it's because they kicked his ass to the curb and the excuse just made it look amiable.

Hey, just reporting what I read in a article.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got to watch the finale after getting back from vacation. Thought it was good but not one of the greatest in the series. Very curious to see how everything moves forward in the next season. Especially since they are hopefully moving away from the whole book 4 disaster of only covering what was happening in the south.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, just reporting what I read in a article.

I know. just saying that actors like that always have options in their contract favoring the studio and when characters like that get recast, no one in hollywood really wants to come out and say "we recast because he sucked".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson