Game of Thrones (HBO)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I think I will read all the books just to get the real grasp but when the hell will book 6 and 7 be released? Is it some huge mystery?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Big mystery indeed. It is almost a given that the show will surpass the books before Book 7 is released. I think Book 6 will be at least another 2 years.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Big mystery indeed. It is almost a given that the show will surpass the books before Book 7 is released. I think Book 6 will be at least another 2 years.
I don't think that is a bad thing since you could both enjoy reading the books and watch the show and they could have different plots.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think that is a bad thing since you could both enjoy reading the books and watch the show and they could have different plots.

maybe, but Martin has already said he's got the general outline/endgame for the books and that he's already told the show what goes down as they move forward. so the details might be slightly different, but I have a feeling the end result ultimately will be the same.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
maybe, but Martin has already said he's got the general outline/endgame for the books and that he's already told the show what goes down as they move forward. so the details might be slightly different, but I have a feeling the end result ultimately will be the same.
that seems stupid why even write the books then? If you watch the show and the series ends why would you read the book? Martin has also said he might write an 8th book. This will all have to come to a head at some point.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Dany really drew the short stick this season. Her storyline went nowhere...in fact, it literally went BACKWARDS to reclaim territories she already lost. Sure, the shoe finally dropped with her biggest confidant, but otherwise, they didn't do much with her this season.

Um, no. She conquered Mereen, which she had never conquered before. You're confusing Astapor and Yunkai with Mereen.

I skipped book 4 completely after a few chapters. Don't think I missed much.

I disagree.

Yeah, I've heard from several people that Book 4 is a complete waste.

It's frustrating because several important storylines are missing, but there's a lot of great storytelling in that book. I hated it on first read, but going back through it, I kept wanting more and more material.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that seems stupid why even write the books then? If you watch the show and the series ends why would you read the book? Martin has also said he might write an 8th book. This will all have to come to a head at some point.

Because you can go into much more detail versus any TV show which people will read just for the extra content. I have never read the books but I plan to after the show because of the extra story.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Um, no. She conquered Mereen, which she had never conquered before. You're confusing Astapor and Yunkai with Mereen.

Didn't she go backward in that she conquered Mereen, but then got word that the councils she had instilled in the other cities had been overthrown? So she sent troops to liberate them again?

Or am I confusing the books with TV show again?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Because you can go into much more detail versus any TV show which people will read just for the extra content. I have never read the books but I plan to after the show because of the extra story.

Exactly how I feel. I'm generally disappointed if a read a book before seeing the movie/TV show, but doing the reverse give me a much greater appreciation for the content.

Stout

Reaction score
Didn't she go backward in that she conquered Mereen, but then got word that the councils she had instilled in the other cities had been overthrown? So she sent troops to liberate them again?

Or am I confusing the books with TV show again?

No, and no. In both the books and show, once in Mereen, she gets word from Astapor that Cleon the Butcher cast down the council installed there and made himself king. Then that Cleon began making his own unsullied. She didn't march to stop this. Then Cleon, in Astapor, began to threaten Yunkai, and he marched against them. This failed miserably, and he began begging her to send her unsullied to save Astapor. She did not, and Astapor met the sword.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Anybody else overly anxious for Sunday?

Anxious and excited, but also a bit upset that the season is over and knowing there will be several unresolved conflicts that will bother me for the next 10 months.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score

It's frustrating because several important storylines are missing, but there's a lot of great storytelling in that book. I hated it on first read, but going back through it, I kept wanting more and more material.

So still read book 4?

One of my buddies told me to read 4 and 5 at the same time.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reading 4 and the first half of 5 at the same time really isn't a bad idea.

She sent Daario away because he was too big a temptation.

Her attaction to him makes no sense, and one can tell it is a woman written by male author. IMO. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
So still read book 4?

One of my buddies told me to read 4 and 5 at the same time.

Yes, read Book 4. While it introduces a ton of new characters that we initially don't really want to care about, it does set up important stuff for the back end of Book 5. You'd be lost just skipping to Book 5, I think.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, read Book 4. While it introduces a ton of new characters that we initially don't really want to care about, it does set up important stuff for the back end of Book 5. You'd be lost just skipping to Book 5, I think.

The books are so repetitive at times, I wonder. We'll see. I can always just ask Stout. :)

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Anybody else overly anxious for Sunday?

How many main/recurring character deaths will we see this week? Last week we had 3, but that was during a giant battle. Will we see more or less than that (or any) in the finale?

Stout

Reaction score
Her attaction to him makes no sense, and one can tell it is a woman written by male author. IMO. :)

You know nothing, Mulli ;)

The casting for Daario this season did the character no justice. He's extremely attractive (to a woman lol) and very confident. Dany is, what, supposed to be 13 or so? How many teenagers do you know get hot and bothered over the swaggering pretty boy? A lot :D

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shows how little you know about women. :cool:

What do I need to know about women? I am married. I just fin the description of him fondling the knife handles to be über cheesy. Must we hear about it every time he appears. Haha.

Last edited: