Pete Prisco gives the Cards draft a C+

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
they can grade all they want, it sucks for them that our team did well and their favorite teams did not...doesn't it :)

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
If you read his review, you think that he downed us all the ways to C+ because of Floyd...give me a freakin' break. I think a lot of teams would say Floyd was least the value of the 13th pick.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
We went BPA with Floyd and got a huge player......in a league filled with injuries, BPA is a great way to go. Now we need some June 1 cuts guard help.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Knocking the Cardinals for drafting Floyd and then giving them credit for fulfilling other needs at the same time is ridiculous. Where did he think Floyd should be drafted?

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Wouldn't drafting a gem at WR be addressing our needs? Instead of having the QB make the WR look good, we can have the WR make the QB look good.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If you read his review, you think that he downed us all the ways to C+ because of Floyd...give me a freakin' break. I think a lot of teams would say Floyd was least the value of the 13th pick.

Grades are really meaningless. What they show in camp is what counts. Based on what I know which is not much I would have given them a B-. The grade that will really count is the grade on our QB.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Prisco claims that Floyd doesn't run well enough to warrant that pick????!!!! Really. Floyd was the best WR in this draft & let me tell you why. What sets Floyd apart from Blackmon is his BURST with the ball in the air. That makes Floyd a much more dangerous deep threat than Blackmon. Blackmon lacks vertical explosiveness & doesn't possess a 2nd gear. He's a measured, methodical, one-speed receiver. FLOYD PLAYS VERY FAST WITH THE BALL IN HIS HANDS!!! Floyd is just naturally quicker than Blackmon.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Knocking the Cardinals for drafting Floyd and then giving them credit for fulfilling other needs at the same time is ridiculous. Where did he think Floyd should be drafted?

Exactly. How can they knock us for not taking an offensive lineman and then praise us for taking an offensive lineman?

The Walter Football guy loved our draft. He even gave drafting a useless QB instead of a potential stud at Safety an A+. :p

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Prisco has been one of the Cards most ardent supporters in the national media for years, so I doubt he would go out of his way to criticize their draft. I actually kind of agree with him.

I won't argue that BPA is the best philosophy to draft by, especially in the early rounds. There are plenty of teams that use it. But it is odd that the BPA on our board rarely seems to be an O-lineman. We're one of two teams (TN) that hasn't drafted an O-lineman in the first three rounds since 2007. We also seem to constantly be switching guys around on the line and bringing in marginal vets to fill holes. I don't think it's a coincidence. The same goes for pass rushers. We've drafted one in the first three rounds since '04, and he never even played a snap.

Look at the drafts by GB and NE. All of their picks before the 5th round were dedicated to defense. Is it because there were simply no offensive players they graded slightly higher than the players they chose? Possibly, but it's more likely they put an extra-emphasis on defense this year, since that's where they needed the most help. The Steelers are another example. Did they spend three early-round picks in the last two years on O-linemen because they didn't place a similar value to any available skill-position players? Or did they get sick of seeing their franchise QB get killed every week and decide to do something about it?

There's a point where BPA on a team's board goes too far. I'm not convinced the Cards didn't reach that point in this draft. We haven't fielded a 10+ sack player since 2004. The best pass rusher in the draft, who just so happens to project to a 3-4 OLB, was sitting there at #13. Yet we passed on him for a guy who doesn't have a chance to become our #1 receiver while Fitz is around. Calvin Johnson seems to do just fine with Nate Burelson on the other side. Steve Smith fared well with Leganu Nanee across from him. I'm not sure why spending a top 15 pick on Floyd to help free up Fitz was a better move than bringing in Ingram to start opposite of Acho or trading down for DeCastro or Reiff. Floyd and Ingram were rated very similarly everywhere I read. Many had Ingram rated higher. I don't doubt that the Cards had Floyd rated higher on their board, but I'm still not sure they aren't consistently placing more value on certain positions like WR and CB than O-linemen and pass-rushers.

I loved what we did yesterday. Taking O-linemen who excel in pass protection was a much needed change in philosophy. I also like taking a late flier on a QB, given our tenuous QB situation. Fleming seems like a great fit, too, although I do question if he'll turn out that much better than Toler. Floyd, on the other hand, I'm still not sold was the right direction to choose.

Overall, I loved our 4-7 round picks, I liked the 3rd rounder, the first rounder still seems questionable and I feel our 2nd rounder was wasted on a bust of a QB. A C+ grade sounds about right.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lombardi gave us a C+ also.

Lombardi was the one reporting before the draft that several NFL teams had major doubts about Floyd after the interviews.

So my guess is that's why he downgraded.

Jetstream Green

Reaction score
Here is a far fetched idea, is it possible some players blow off the interviews of teams that they do not want to be drafted by? Rams interview might have went like this "So what do you think about your past problems with alcohol Michael?"...which Michael replies to the Rams "just got to get smarter, I know now how to party and not get caught. Hell ya', I can't even start my day till I have a few cold ones" :)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I don't get worked up about this kind of thing anymore, but the thing that gets me is people who keep talking about how Floyd doesn't run well. All the clips I've seen I have yet to see him get chased down from behind yet. Didn't he just run a legit 4.4 at the combine? Add to the fact that he is 220lbs is ridiculous. What I also love is he was punishing defenders who chose to tackle him or get in his way on a block. I think he is a huge upgrade for our team.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

It's simple to me.... They are knocking us for not drafting O-Line in the first round. As I have said, Floyd is an awesome....stupendous.....wonderfully talented....Luxury.

Knowing that the O-Line is the area that needs the most attention, they expected us to to pick the most talented O-Lineman that could immediately impact our horribly ineffiecient O-Line. Then pick up some developmental WR's.

Even though we made superb day 3 picks, those types of players are expected to take some time to develop. Therefore, they cannot make an impact as quickly as we need.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It's simple to me.... They are knocking us for not drafting O-Line in the first round. As I have said, Floyd is an awesome....stupendous.....wonderfully talented....Luxury.

Knowing that the O-Line is the area that needs the most attention, they expected us to to pick the most talented O-Lineman that could immediately impact our horribly ineffiecient O-Line. Then pick up some developmental WR's.

Even though we made superb day 3 picks, those types of players are expected to take some time to develop. Therefore, they cannot make an impact as quickly as we need.

How is he a luxury? We have a high performance machine in fitz who we cant get the parking brake off of because no one will leave him alone. Now we have a guy that won't be getting manhandled on the other side all while punishing people with his blocking. Just in case that doesn't work...watch out for our 230lb running battering ram coming down the pipe. If that doesn't work we will also be potentially adding a dynamic explosive runner to exploit the backside. Let not forget about the fact that we also finally have competent TE's now for the first time in a decade. This was a move to give this offense loads of options.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
How is he a luxury? We have a high performance machine in fitz who we cant get the parking brake off of because no one will leave him alone. Now we have a guy that won't be getting manhandled on the other side all while punishing people with his blocking. Just in case that doesn't work...watch out for our 230lb running battering ram coming down the pipe. If that doesn't work we will also be potentially adding a dynamic explosive runner to exploit the backside. Let not forget about the fact that we also finally have competent TE's now for the first time in a decade. This was a move to give this offense loads of options.

I love the optimism.... I just don't see how adding a #2 WR will make Larry exponentially MORE productive than he has been. I love his talent, just think it won't help Kolb or Skelton keep their uniforms from getting dirty.

We will see how it works out.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love the optimism.... I just don't see how adding a #2 WR will make Larry exponentially MORE productive than he has been. I love his talent, just think it won't help Kolb or Skelton keep their uniforms from getting dirty.

He will make kolb better because kolb won't be sitting back there waiting for fitz to get open after Roberts gets bludgeoned because he isn't big enough or strong enough to beat press coverage. Kolb won't have to force it to fitz as much even though that is not always a bad idea. Once floyd starts wearing out a defender or two people will start to keep safeties honest which will give fitz more room to operate. Of course this is only theory at this point, but that is the goal. There was a reason kolb held on to the ball so much.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

He may very well be our #2, but Floyd's talent screams #1. Awesome, awesome choice. He will make our offense a headache to defend.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson