It sounds like Amundson is on his way out

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, maybe it's not new but it seems like the Suns may not be interested in keeping Amundson period. I always thought it would be the money (and maybe it will be) that sends Amundson elsewhere but perhaps the Suns just don't see him as part of their future. It's really sort of sad because Amundson always gave the Suns 100%. See article from Paul Coro at azcentral dated July 16th, 2010. It will be interesting to see what Amundson signs for with another team.

"It's too bad Phoenix didn't value me enough to keep me around," Amundson said. "I felt like it was a great situation and I gave everything I have. It's a business and I'm trying to have a thick skin.

Amundson said Charlotte, Golden State and Toronto have shown interest in signing him. His hopes of landing in Denver, near his Boulder, Colo., roots, fizzled once the Nuggets signed Al Harrington.

"We're talking pretty seriously with a lot of teams," said Amundson's agent, Mark Bartelstein, who represents another free-agent big man (Mark Blount) that has the Suns' interest. "He's the best big on the market."

The Suns interest in Blount is not new but it is interesting it is mentioned in the article.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/07/26/20100726phoenix-suns-amundson-lopez.html

Last edited:

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
You'd think an agent as seasoned as Bartelstein would recognize that he completely forfeits all of his credibility when he calls Amundson "the best big on the market."

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
You'd think an agent as seasoned as Bartelstein would recognize that he completely forfeits all of his credibility when he calls Amundson "the best big on the market."

Well, sadly, other than Ro-lo, he'd be by a far measure our best interior defender. If we're just going to sign another stiff, I wouldn't mind signing Lou to a small deal.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Well, sadly, other than Ro-lo, he'd be by a far measure our best interior defender. If we're just going to sign another stiff, I wouldn't mind signing Lou to a small deal.

Right, sure, I'd also like the Suns to figure out a way to keep him. But calling him "the best big on the market" when Shaq is still looking for a team is just silly.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The problem with Lou is that he is exclusively an energy guy, worth having on a contending team like Blazers or Lakers as a luxury. But for 4 mil a year, it's overpaying for a team like the Suns with no intention other than just entertaining and making money for the owner.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I wanted to keep Amundson, but there's two problems with that. One, I wouldn't pay him more than $2M - $2.5M a year. Two, there won't be much playing time left for him next season with the additions we've made. It was also argued that the Suns might want to give his minutes to Clark in order to develop him, although at this point I have little faith how well that can work out.

Amundson was an important part of our team. He was one of our best rebounders, and there were many games where he played a key part. I think the Suns will miss him more than they think.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was obvious on draft night Lou wouldn't be back. Lawal and Collins combined will make less than half what Lou will likely get. I like Lou but I don't expect the drop off in that role to be much.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
It was obvious on draft night Lou wouldn't be back. Lawal and Collins combined will make less than half what Lou will likely get. I like Lou but I don't expect the drop off in that role to be much.

It sure sounds like Lou is being badly advised. In any case, he's not quite what the team needs in the playoffs and too good to be a 12th man. I hope he finds what he's looking for, but he'll need to be realistic. :sad:

shazaam6

Censor this
Reaction score
I'd like to keep Amundson and cut Sarver. Lou is not the problem. It is over. Cut, cut, cut. Overpay, cut. "Sarver sucks Suns dry, then sells." Just do it.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nowhere does it say how much money Amundson is actually looking for, so we shouldn't assume he's looking for too big of a raise. It seems like the Suns didn't even make an offer to him. I guess they think they can get someone bigger and cheaper, but putting Blount on the bench is no different than Collins last year.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nowhere does it say how much money Amundson is actually looking for, so we shouldn't assume he's looking for too big of a raise. It seems like the Suns didn't even make an offer to him. I guess they think they can get someone bigger and cheaper, but putting Blount on the bench is no different than Collins last year.

Saw a quote from Amundson a couple weeks ago that said they gave him and offer they knew he wouldn't accept. It was only for 1 year but didn't list the value.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Except Blount will be for the minimum, and Amundson almost certainly is asking for more than that. And for more years. I wouldn't be surprised if he's looking for Hakim Warrick money.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Amundson had his shot this past season. He invested the prior offseason in shooting, particularly freethrow shooting and there was no marked improvement to show for it. He is what he is, an athletic and energetic hustle player. I don't want to discount his contribution to the team last year because he was a key to our bench. With Warrick and Turkoglu taking up the majority of minutes and Clark and Lawal having more potential than Lou, it's understandable that the Suns would not resign him.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who would you rather have Lou or Warrick? I think we probably could have gotten Lou for a little less money. Frankly I think your getting the same production from either player. I would have preferred Lou.

Akim has better offensive #'s but it's not like Akim is going to turn into a 15 ppg scorer. Akim has also gotten more consistent playing time the Lou as well.

Lou was never going to be a star but I am going to miss him. He is the type of dirt worker every team wants.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
So who would you rather have Lou or Warrick? I think we probably could have gotten Lou for a little less money. Frankly I think your getting the same production from either player. I would have preferred Lou.

Akim has better offensive #'s but it's not like Akim is going to turn into a 15 ppg scorer. Akim has also gotten more consistent playing time the Lou as well.

Lou was never going to be a star but I am going to miss him. He is the type of dirt worker every team wants.

At half the cost, I'd rather have Lou. Warrick looks more and more like a panic signing, and completely redundant.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
I'd let Amundson walk. He's a Kurt Rambis, imho. He would be good in Miami, the Lakers, Celtics, etc. You need a hustle guy on a team with stars. We don't have a lot of stars, so he's kind of not needed for the money he would command.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I'd rather have Amundson than Warrick flat out, and if we could get him at a discount to Warrick all the better. Lou was the spiritual leader of the second unit and I don't imagine Warrick will be that. In fact, I'd rather not have Warrick on the team - we'd be better served seeing what we could make of Clark, Lawal or Collins, IMO, if we don't retain Amundson.

Dragic, Childress, Dudley, Amundson and Frye would be a fierce defensive lineup - tougher than last years unit and probably a trifle better offensively, too, because they're more mature. Our starters would be the setup guys, lulling the opps into thinking they were in a cakewalk then, wham, the second unit runs them off the floor.

If Gentry could fashion the first unit into almost the offensive powerhouse they were last year, we'd be in contention for the title.
He'd have to make significant adjustments but one natural one would be utilizing Hedo's and Hill's playmaking abilities to make Nash more of a shooter - less wear and tear on him, too, combined with fewer minutes. Some pick & rolls with Lopez, pick & pops with Hedo, more plays for JRich and Hill. If Hedo averages 15 ppg, the rest of the guys have to score 7 more ppg to make up for the loss of Amare. Nash 3 more, JRich 2, Lopez and Hill 1 each makes 7 and it comes from more opportunities. It seems doable to me.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Lou's production is way over rated. He is a good energy guy and much better post defender then most of the Suns current PF. But with that said he has reached his celling. Hakem will be able to put up a lot more Points and I could see us starting Fry at PF, during the playoffs he was realy getting after the boards. All the posters complaining about Sarver being cheep need to wake up! This team has been very good and entertaining for many years. Would you rather be the Clippers

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd let Amundson walk. He's a Kurt Rambis, imho. He would be good in Miami, the Lakers, Celtics, etc. You need a hustle guy on a team with stars. We don't have a lot of stars, so he's kind of not needed for the money he would command.

Kurt Rambis was a very good player so when you compare Amundson to Rambis it's a compliment.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kurt Rambis was a very good player so when you compare Amundson to Rambis it's a compliment.
Yep. You cant measure a players worth based soley on his point production and ability to shoot the basketball....

Lou is the type of player every quality team needs.
I admire basketball players who show up every night, ready to goto work. These type of guys value cant be measured with a boxscore.

I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Lou was mostly about the value of hustle. You can't measure itk, but it sure pays off. None the less, he is not the only guy who can play that way. (Look at the Draft Express review of Lawal for an example).

IMHO, either the Suns WILL sign another big like Dwayne Jones or force feed Lawal and Collins into the lineup. The Suns have a 2nd team that is currently known for playing defense, so I'd be surprised if they expect Warrick to be the only BIG they have at backup power forward.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep. You cant measure a players worth based soley on his point production and ability to shoot the basketball....

Lou is the type of player every quality team needs.
I admire basketball players who show up every night, ready to goto work. These type of guys value cant be measured with a boxscore.

I wish him the best wherever he goes.

You're right, but he's not that special in the long run. Players like him are a dime a dozen. Limited skillset, ability to energize a crowd, get a few offensive rebounds. I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that Lawal could fill that role.

I love Lou, but like I said before, he's probably asking for Hakim Warrick money, and he's just not worth that. Not on the Suns, anyway.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Our second unit had great chemistry last year and Lou was an integral part of it. Add Childress to that crew in place of Barbosa and its likely to improve - and stablize, Barbs being MIA so much. Almost certainly they'd improve on already terrific defense. To me its borderline lunacy to let Amundson escape and bring in Warrick for as much or more than you'd have to pay him.

Keep Amundson and the second unit would hit the ground running this year and keep the team afloat while the first unit sorted things out. Now Gentry is going to have to futz around with Warrick and probably Clark for months before he settles on Lawal as Lou's replacement. With luck, by years end, the second unit will be 90% as good as it would be with Amundson at the start of the year. Gentry will get praised for getting the team sans Amare into the playoffs but no one will even think about them being a contender.

I admit chemistry is a tricky thing and its not impossible that Warrick or even Clark might find their true calling on the second unit. I'd rather not bet on having such extraordinary luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison