2010 World Cup Draw

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all is

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all is up

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all is up to

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all is up to his

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole thread yet (only the first page where the German know it all is up to his old tricks. However, this is a great draw, maybe the best yet. I am not taking Algeria or Slovenia lightly but the US should get out of this group.

Here in England everyone is going mental about the draw too, they think they will walk it. CAN'T WAIT!

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
OK, so I read the whole thread now. Slin, what's your beef? You seem to have a vendetta against the US. How you can call Germany ahead of Brazil and the Netherlands is beyond me. You seem to claim to speak for all of Europe a lot, yet even in England they are picking the US to advance with them.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I am living in England currently and lots of ManU fans mostly are ridiculing Landon Donovan.

But who cares, lets see how it plays out at the world cup. How can I have Germany ahead of Netherlands? Tradition.

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I am living in England currently and lots of ManU fans mostly are ridiculing Landon Donovan.

But who cares, lets see how it plays out at the world cup. How can I have Germany ahead of Netherlands? Tradition.
Are you now, where abouts?

I wouldn't exactly take a scum fans point of view though, the rest of the country ridicules them. They think that anyone that doesn't play for manure is ****. C.Ronaldo is now apparntly crap as he moved on, same with Tevez who they worshipped last year.

I actually like Germany and often enjoy seeing them do well. However, the 2002 Frings handball is still fresh in my mind (glad to see such a fuss was made of that as with the Henry one . . . ).

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
A Dutchie coming in to join the discussion. And first of, i would like to reply to this quote from Chaplin
Could Group G be one of the toughest groups in the history of the World Cup? Ivory Coast, Brazil, AND Portugal? And isn't it appropriate that North Korea is the 4th team in that group? ;)
It's a tough group, but 4 years ago my Netherlands were in one group with Argentina, Ivory Coast, and Serbia. I'd say that put us ahead of this year's group G in terms of tough groups.

We finally had a nice draw too, after 2 big championships in a row playing in the group of death (euro 2008 we played Italy, France and Romania). Should have a good chance of advancing to the next round, and if all goes a planned and Italy wins it's group along with us winning our's, we might even be looking at a relatively winnable 1/8th final. And from the 1/4th, anything can happen. But i don't wanna get ahead of myself of course.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
A Dutchie coming in to join the discussion.

You guys are always one of the most entertaining sides to watch in Int'l competition (right up there with Spain & Brazil IMO) and I always get disappointed when you go out. The fact a country with such talent and history hasn't won the competition is disappointing (sort of like Spain too--although you have had more WC success than they have).

I was a huge Bergkamp fan, his goal against Argentina in '98 is one of the best of all time.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
A Dutchie coming in to join the discussion. And first of, i would like to reply to this quote from Chaplin
It's a tough group, but 4 years ago my Netherlands were in one group with Argentina, Ivory Coast, and Serbia. I'd say that put us ahead of this year's group G in terms of tough groups.

We finally had a nice draw too, after 2 big championships in a row playing in the group of death (euro 2008 we played Italy, France and Romania). Should have a good chance of advancing to the next round, and if all goes a planned and Italy wins it's group along with us winning our's, we might even be looking at a relatively winnable 1/8th final. And from the 1/4th, anything can happen. But i don't wanna get ahead of myself of course.

I used to live in the Netherlands, so they along with Spain and the US are always my favorites to watch--I'll probably watch every game they play in the World Cup.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score

You still havent answered my question...

You laugh at us for thinking we got a good draw and that we are expecting to advance, yet you still havent pointed out where the better draw would have come from.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
You still havent answered my question...

You laugh at us for thinking we got a good draw and that we are expecting to advance, yet you still havent pointed out where the better draw would have come from.

the best two teams in the group are England and the US, no doubt in my mind. Whether we both go through is a dif matter.

oh and ...COME ON ENGLAND

rode kardinaal

Registered
Reaction score
You guys are always one of the most entertaining sides to watch in Int'l competition (right up there with Spain & Brazil IMO) and I always get disappointed when you go out. The fact a country with such talent and history hasn't won the competition is disappointing (sort of like Spain too--although you have had more WC success than they have).

People here, players included, in Holland usually care more about the way the game is played, they have to play a beautiful and attacking style of soccer, than they care about results. There's still a lot of people that rather see a draw or a loss in a well played game in which we dominate but lose undeservedly, than a win with ugly and mostly defensive play. I think it's a leftover from 1974 where we 'shocked the world' ;) with 'total football' (but lost the final).

We lack the 'killer mentality' that the big names like Germany and Italy do have, or even Brazil, who usually combine great technical, skillfull, attacking players with killer defenders who know how to defend and only defend. In Holland our defenders must know how to defend the best, be tactical geniuses, attack as well as defend, be able to deliver great passes over 60 yards, and so on. They're just not appreciated enough. Plus we suck at penalties.... :D

I was a huge Bergkamp fan, his goal against Argentina in '98 is one of the best of all time.
Such an amazing goal. And a perfect example of what's expected. Frank De Boer, the central defender with a long bomb over 50/60 yards delivered in stride and a striker with the technical skillset to do something miraculous with it. Unfortunately, players like De Boer and Bergkamp are very very rare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0
With the legendary commentator who, in his live comment, said something like "i suddenly get this strange feeling that we'll be playing in the semis, i don't now why'. Followed by this pass from De Boer and goal from Bergkamp about 10 seconds later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqvZ1qMUyps&feature=related
and the one with American commentary

I used to live in the Netherlands, so they along with Spain and the US are always my favorites to watch--I'll probably watch every game they play in the World Cup.
Where and when did you live here?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Such an amazing goal. And a perfect example of what's expected. Frank De Boer, the central defender with a long bomb over 50/60 yards delivered in stride and a striker with the technical skillset to do something miraculous with it. Unfortunately, players like De Boer and Bergkamp are very very rare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exlBHTyB1R0
With the legendary commentator who, in his live comment, said something like "i suddenly get this strange feeling that we'll be playing in the semis, i don't now why'. Followed by this pass from De Boer and goal from Bergkamp about 10 seconds later.

Great video. I may not know what they are saying but they are saying it with such excitement its hard not to love it.

Its a shame that our announcers/commentators aren't that excited. One was actually called out by some national press for being too "pro-US"...ridiculous, they are announcing a US soccer broadcast they shouldn't be expected to be objective.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I just applied for tickets to the WC through the US Supporters group. To be honest South Africa isn't a place I ever wanted to visit but for the WC I will do it. I put in for all 3 matches and the highest category tickets ($176 a piece which isn't bad at all).

I won't know until the end of January whether or not I got tickets.

Nate

Registered
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Lets see what you are trying to say. Fox New says it is fair and balanced. It is controlled by Rupert Murdoch. So Rupert Murdoch stands for fair and balanced journalism. Rupert Murdoch also owns The Sun. Therefore the Sun is exemplary for fair and balanced journalism and is definitely correct when saying that the Yanks are ranking last among a group of very easy teams, England included. Is that what you were trying to say with your post?

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Lets see what you are trying to say. Fox New says it is fair and balanced. It is controlled by Rupert Murdoch. So Rupert Murdoch stands for fair and balanced journalism. Rupert Murdoch also owns The Sun. Therefore the Sun is exemplary for fair and balanced journalism and is definitely correct when saying that the Yanks are ranking last among a group of very easy teams, England included. Is that what you were trying to say with your post?

Haha, no but that was an interesting take.

That post was to illustrate the good fortune of every team in the group C draw for slinslin.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Landon Donovan is a running gag in all of Europe actually.

Apparently, not all of Europe thinks Donovan is a joke.

Everton confirm Donovan bid
Toffees keen to bring in USA striker on loan
10th December 2009

Everton are in talks to bring USA international striker Landon Donovan to Goodison Park on loan from LA Galaxy.

With the Major League Soccer season having finished, the Toffees are keen to strike a deal similar to the one which will see Donovan's team-mate David Beckham head back to AC Milan next month.

David Moyes is eager to bolster his squad for the second half of the season with Everton hit hard by injuries and struggling towards the wrong end of the Premier League table.

The experienced forward, who is set to captain his country at the World Cup this summer when USA will meet England, spent a similar spell with Bayern Munich last season.

"Landon is a player David Moyes has identified as someone he would like to bring to the club," chief executive Robert Elstone told the club's official website.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5762273,00.html

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson