2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

Card'em

All Star
Reaction score
Cards have high priority needs at six positions; WR, OT, IOL, CB, Edge, DIL. I suspect that the Cardinals will try to fill the "lower value" positions of IOL and IDL through free agency and use the first three rounds of the draft for the other four "higher value" positions.

Saying this, you still always have to weigh BPA verses positional need. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cards select BPA at any position after the first round.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Whether it’s the 1st or 32nd pick, I’m not wasting 1st round pick on a center & especially on a Guard.

Would rather just double dip at WR with the 27th pick & I’m against doing that, too.
For me, WR / WR is my best, worst-case scenario.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whether it’s the 1st or 32nd pick, I’m not wasting 1st round pick on a center & especially on a Guard.

Would rather just double dip at WR with the 27th pick & I’m against doing that, too.

For me, WR / WR is my best, worst-case scenario.
Just so we're clear. You'd be ok with using our 2nd round pick on a WR?

Or are you pretty much wanting to wait till round 3 or 4 for the 2nd wr?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

It depends on what players are available (of course lol). I like Troy Franklin and Tez Walker. I also like Arnold, Mitchell and Wiggins at CB. I like Mims and Suamataia. Muprhy and Newton are interesting.

Also, while I am not interested in an IOL at 27, Graham Barton in round 2 is very appealing. Super clean. Kinda the same with JPJ in round 2.

Fitz4Ever

Veteran
Reaction score

Id be fine with them going WR in the 1st and 2nd....assuming we do not bring back Hollywood, and there is still a really good prospect on the board at 35.

If we could end up with MJH and Troy Franklin...it would completely revamp our WR room and make our offense very difficult to defend.

I admit its probably not ideal to double dip given our other needs....but we could do worse than getting 2 major upgrades in our WR room.

My ideal double dip would be MJH at 4 and Cowing in round 4.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We were all disappointed when the Texans kept winning and our second 1st round pick became worse and worse. But I'm wondering if Monti feels that it lifted a lot of pressure off his shoulders. As fans we want every pick to be a HR, but the more rational ones will probably give him some slack for taking a player at #27, if he's not the one we want him to take. Would feel differently if it were the #10 pick. Just an observation.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
We were all disappointed when the Texans kept winning and our second 1st round pick became worse and worse. But I'm wondering if Monti feels that it lifted a lot of pressure off his shoulders. As fans we want every pick to be a HR, but the more rational ones will probably give him some slack for taking a player at #27, if he's not the one we want him to take. Would feel differently if it were the #10 pick. Just an observation.
If Monti is afraid of pressure from fans, he never should have taken this job in the first place. People roast Keim for the Collins, Nkemdiche, Bucannon, and Reddick picks. People roast Keim for the Brandon Williams pick.

If you flop on a first-round pick you deserve the criticism you get.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Monti is afraid of pressure from fans, he never should have taken this job in the first place. People roast Keim for the Collins, Nkemdiche, Bucannon, and Reddick picks. People roast Keim for the Brandon Williams pick.

100% this

It's a business. His job is to figure it out

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Agree with both of the above, and as soon as I can figure out how to measure the pressure that Monti feels, I'll let everyone know. I have read (forget where) that many people welcome pressure and thrive with it. And it's very possible that Monti is one of those people.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Agree with both of the above, and as soon as I can figure out how to measure the pressure that Monti feels, I'll let everyone know. I have read (forget where) that many people welcome pressure and thrive with it. And it's very possible that Monti is one of those people.
pressure is a normal thing for high level decision makers regardless of the occupation

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Absolutely. But there are degrees of pressure. How about you're General Eisenhower and it's the 5th of June, 1944 and you have to decide if the weather is suitable for Operation Overlord and which day?

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score

I don’t think Ossenfort is likely to be influenced by fans’ opinion.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Garthshort, you are a kind and caring person and I respect that. I do believe you are projecting on this one.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
David DeCastro disagrees.

I agree that you rarely want to spend a 1st on a G, and in doing so you have to absolutely nail the pick. Same with ILBer. If you end up with a DeCastro or a Patrick Willis, you are thrilled. If not, you look awful and inept.

As does Zach Martin, Chris Lindstrom, Brandon Scherff, Quenton Nelson etc

Guard at #27 is absolutely legit.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess. What did the Steelers win during the seven seasons DeCastro was starting, going to the Pro Bowl four times and earning two AP All Pro designations? Did they even win a playoff game?

We should definitely not draft MHJ because of Larry.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
For every David DeCastro there is a Joe Thuney who has had a virtually identical career and was selected in the third round.

It's literally always a bad idea to take a guard in the first round. They have to be a numerous times All Pro to be deserving and even then it's a suspect pick.

You can say this about literally every position.

Also DeCastro was a far better guard than Thuney. DeCastro was AP1 by year 4, AP2 in year 5 and AP1 again in year 6. As well as Pro Bowl for 6 consecutive years from 2015 until 2020.

Thuney was AP2 in 2019, AP2 in 2022, AP1 this year and made the PB the last 2 years.

Thuney is a very good guard. But I'd still take DeCastro over him all day.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Arizona Cardinals

Will the Cardinals draft Marvin Harrison Jr. with the No. 4 pick?

The Cardinals need a top wide receiver who can instantly upgrade the offense alongside Kyler Murray. Since Arizona is set at quarterback, it won't be in the conversation to trade up to get one and can sit pat at No. 4.

Should quarterbacks go in the top three picks, Arizona will likely find itself looking at the star Ohio State receiver at No. 4. The only reason Arizona wouldn't be around at No. 4 to take him would be general manager Monti Ossenfort deciding to trade down for what could be a haul of picks, both in this draft and in 2025. -- Josh Weinfuss

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort