2024 Draft Countdown/NFL Prospects thread

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
I have been wondering about this. Who will take MHJ before #4? Don't see that happening. Unless someone trades up for him, which also seems iffy. #shrug
all it takes is the Patriots to decide that they dont like the 3rd QB left on the board and follow a pre-2023 Texans strategy of waiting to get their QB

the Pats see what everyone else sees: MHJ is a foundation type player and simply draft him rather than trade out

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
all it takes is the Patriots to decide that they dont like the 3rd QB left on the board and follow a pre-2023 Texans strategy of waiting to get their QB

the Pats see what everyone else sees: MHJ is a foundation type player and simply draft him rather than trade out
Ok thanks!

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm not certain whether this is true for Kiper's mock, but it seems that a lot of the mock drafts that have MHJ falling to #4 are generated with no trades.

Sure, we know that Chicago will either take a QB or trade with a team that wants to do so, and Washington and New England are likely to want QBs as well, but it may be unrealistic - and overly optimistic - to expect QBs to go 1-2-3 with no trades.
I have thought about that too, Daves. It just seems to me that if Harrison is that good of a prospect, someone probably will trade up to target him before #4 (since it is probably the worst kept secret in sports that the Cards would take him).

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have thought about that too, Daves. It just seems to me that if Harrison is that good of a prospect, someone probably will trade up to target him before #4 (since it is probably the worst kept secret in sports that the Cards would take him).
Cardinals have so many other needs, I am fine if MHJ is not available. I would also be somewhat relieved if another team picks him if it means the Cardinals didn't pass on him for just a guy.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cardinals have so many other needs, I am fine if MHJ is not available. I would also be somewhat relieved if another team picks him if it means the Cardinals didn't pass on him for just a guy.
I am a major fan of Odunze, Mulli. I listen to what everyone says about Harrison - and I can also see for myself that he is a great prospect, - but I am not so sure that the different between Harrison and Odunze are that big. I would actually argue that Odunze might even be a better fit, type-wise, though I guess that a fantastic prospect like Harrison would always be a good fit as well.

My point being that I agree with you. :)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a major fan of Odunze, Mulli. I listen to what everyone says about Harrison - and I can also see for myself that he is a great prospect, - but I am not so sure that the different between Harrison and Odunze are that big. I would actually argue that Odunze might even be a better fit, type-wise, though I guess that a fantastic prospect like Harrison would always be a good fit as well.

Personally, I would rather they beef up the defensive front four FINALLY, but receiver also desperate need.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

I think Odunze will become my #2 WR prospect, simply because of his size.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just how good is MHJ? It will cost a team a bundle to move up ahead of us to take MHJ. It seems there is not a gaping gap of the top wr’s in this group. Guarantee somebody is going to trade up for Daniels. MHJ will be there unless one of the top 3 teams aren’t taking Qb’s. I can see the Bears passing on a Qb but I highly doubt they would select MHJ because the value they would get trading the pick would be astronomical.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
In the NFL trading up for a WR is generally considered a terrible mistake. Mainly because there's no such thing as a "foundational" wide receiver, but also because as long as you have a "good" wide receiver, it doesn't matter much how good they are.

CeeDee Lamb was first in receptions, second in yards in 2023. Ja'Marr Chase was 12th in yards and receptions.

How much would you give to upgrade from Chase to Lamb? Would an exchange even be an upgrade?

Nico Collins was 8th in yardage and 23rd in receptions. Would you trade him for Drake London, who was 34th in yardage and 41st in receptions, and a 3rd? Would Houston?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
In the NFL trading up for a WR is generally considered a terrible mistake. Mainly because there's no such thing as a "foundational" wide receiver, but also because as long as you have a "good" wide receiver, it doesn't matter much how good they are.

CeeDee Lamb was first in receptions, second in yards in 2023. Ja'Marr Chase was 12th in yards and receptions.

How much would you give to upgrade from Chase to Lamb? Would an exchange even be an upgrade?

Nico Collins was 8th in yardage and 23rd in receptions. Would you trade him for Drake London, who was 34th in yardage and 41st in receptions, and a 3rd? Would Houston?
Especially when you consider a WR numbers are heavily affected by their QB , their OC, and the DC's they face in a given season.

They guys who are #1 and #8 may well switch spots next year.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Just how good is MHJ? It will cost a team a bundle to move up ahead of us to take MHJ.
That is certaintly a good question, Slanidrac. According to most analysts and fans, they could just hand him a golden jacket on the scene instead of a jersey from the team that draft him, and if teams indeed think the same, then it would obviously be worth trading up for.

I think another element could be that teams more and more see a great WR as necessary to win championships. Many personnel people even (allegedly) thinks that it is more important than a great offensive tackle. So, in that regard, when teams have seen how much it has helped the Texans that they went to get Will Anderson, wouldn’t you think that someone would go after a player that has equal value to the team?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
That is certaintly a good question, Slanidrac. According to most analysts and fans, they could just hand him a golden jacket on the scene instead of a jersey from the team that draft him, and if teams indeed think the same, then it would obviously be worth trading up for.

I think another element could be that teams more and more see a great WR as necessary to win championships. Many personnel people even (allegedly) thinks that it is more important than a great offensive tackle. So, in that regard, when teams have seen how much it has helped the Texans that they went to get Will Anderson, wouldn’t you think that someone would go after a player that has equal value to the team?
Lmao.. CJ Stroud had more to do with the Texans changing fortunes than Wil Anderson.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Especially when you consider a WR numbers are heavily affected by their QB , their OC, and the DC's they face in a given season.

They guys who are #1 and #8 may well switch spots next year.
Don’t agree with that at all. Fitz was excellent with whoever was playing QB. Moss the same. Jerry Rice was elite with Elvis Grbac.
Justin Jefferson put up big numbers with Nick Mullins as his QB.

Hell, Marvin put up big numbers with Kyle McCord as his QB.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Don’t agree with that at all. Fitz was excellent with whoever was playing QB. Moss the same. Jerry Rice was elite with Elvis Grbac.
Justin Jefferson put up big numbers with Nick Mullins as his QB.

Hell, Marvin put up big numbers with Kyle McCord as his QB.
So you don't think Larry would have benefitted from having Kurt Warner his entire career instead of a laundry list of scrubs??
Curious.
Yeah, Moss put up 2000 yards a season no matter who he played for,...and the niners most certainly changed their offensive system to maximize Grbacs talents......

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
there are three basic scenarios for the Cards at #4-

the first two are pretty easy:

1. three QBs go, MHJ is there.

2. MHJ goes in the first three. Trade down opportunities present themselves.

3. One of the QBs AND MHJ are there. Imagine the Pats taking Joe Alt.

3 is interesting because its MHJ vs a profitable trade down with someone wanting the last QB.

Also a recipe for the board to meltdown if they trade down

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

It's a pretty big 'all it takes'...

New H-C is saddling his future to less-than-promising QBs under contract or finding a rethread.

Foundations begin with a potential QBOF, and they could be leaving one with a Heisman Trophy on the board.

If they do select MHJ, the Cards can garner a haul for that third quarterback.

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
I'm not certain whether this is true for Kiper's mock, but it seems that a lot of the mock drafts that have MHJ falling to #4 are generated with no trades.

Sure, we know that Chicago will either take a QB or trade with a team that wants to do so, and Washington and New England are likely to want QBs as well, but it may be unrealistic - and overly optimistic - to expect QBs to go 1-2-3 with no trades.
WA & NE are taking QBs, the only way MHJ does not fall to #4 is if Chicago trades with one of them. I dont think either would pay the price to move to #1 overall when they cant stand pat and take Maye/Daniels who I think are better than Williams any way myself

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
It's a pretty big 'all it takes'...

New H-C is saddling his future to less-than-promising QBs under contract or finding a rethread.

Foundations begin with a potential QBOF, and they could be leaving one with a Heisman Trophy on the board.

If they do select MHJ, the Cards can garner a haul for that third quarterback.
is it so far-fetched that a team might not think the third QB left is worth the 3rd overall pick, even if they need a QB?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
there are three basic scenarios for the Cards at #4-

the first two are pretty easy:

1. three QBs go, MHJ is there.

2. MHJ goes in the first three. Trade down opportunities present themselves.

3. One of the QBs AND MHJ are there. Imagine the Pats taking Joe Alt.

3 is interesting because its MHJ vs a profitable trade down with someone wanting the last QB.

Also a recipe for the board to meltdown if they trade down
You must be registered for see images attach

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Anything can happen, however if there is a team in desperate need of a Wr they might not want to empty the draft bank account to move all the way up to a top 3 pick. One of tge top 3 is going to slip. I’ve seen some drafts analysts with MJH. Odunze and Nabers going 4-5-6. That ain’t going to happen.