Ossenfort and Free Agency

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I'd say that's about half of that is my reasoning. The other half is that if there was someone of value worth adding, it would have made us a better team this year. We were oh so close to the #2 pick, but a couple wins here and there that we could have easily won and we'd be picking 7th, or even 11th with 3 more wins.
I don’t think adding two mid level free agents would have equated to a couple more wins.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is a terrible argument. We are fans. Knowledgeable? Some. But still fans. We don’t possess the information, team, experience, and knowledge that a professional GM does. To hold fans to that benchmark is stupid.

If your argument is that there were zero FAs for monti to pursue last year, that argument is equally stupid. I don’t need to possess a professional GM’s knowledge and resources to know that’s false.

I couldn't agree more with your point one, and based on that, we can't conclude that MONTI did not, in fact, target FAs last offseason that he viewed as longer-term building blocks but was unable to reach agreement.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I can't type for laughing. Cap space doesn't equal players doesn't equal cap space. You can easily frontload a contract to eat up, say, double the space and only sign one player. So the team could easily sign half the players and still eat up the space. But, hey, Bidwill would never do something creative to make it look like he's spending money while saving a boatload of cash, would he?

Riddle me this: How does Bidwill save a 'boatload of cash' if contracts are front-loaded?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Riddle me this: How does Bidwill save a 'boatload of cash' if contracts are front-loaded?
Because the total amount of the contracts would be less. On paper and/or in practice. For example, you could pay 20 million to two guys that would eat up this years cap. Or you could pay 40 million to 4 guys that eats up that 20 million with the other half spread out.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Because the total amount of the contracts would be less. On paper and/or in practice. For example, you could pay 20 million to two guys that would eat up this years cap. Or you could pay 40 million to 4 guys that eats up that 20 million with the other half spread out.

So, whether two or four players, Bidwill spends $40m under the Cap.

Front-loading means that in addition to a year-one salary, more money in the form of a bonus is paid upfront.

If Bidwill is such a cheapskate trying to save a boatload of cash, why would he want to do this?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, whether two or four players, Bidwill spends $40m under the Cap.

Front-loading means that in addition to a year-one salary, more money in the form of a bonus is paid upfront.

If Bidwill is such a cheapskate trying to save a boatload of cash, why would he want to do this?
Because he would be writing checks for 20 million instead of 40 million. 20 million does not equal 40 million.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I didn't research the players and don't care to waste my time to do so, as it's in the past. Don't tell me you're in the "well, if you don't tell me exactly who you wanted you don't have any room to gripe" faction, are you? That's a poor argument.

Let's put it this way. We should have done more, and not doing so leaves us with more holes now. Surely we can all agree on that simple fact.
I find your two major rants can't exist in the same universe. If Monti had done more in FA last year then we'd have won more games and have no shot at getting MHJ.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right.... BUT we were talking about paying $20m to each of two, not $10m, which equals $40m, thereby eating a sizable % of the available Cap.
No. It's paying 20 million on one versus 40 million in two years for 4. But, it doesn't even matter. I don't care if you understand front loading or not.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I didn't research the players and don't care to waste my time to do so, as it's in the past. Don't tell me you're in the "well, if you don't tell me exactly who you wanted you don't have any room to gripe" faction, are you? That's a poor argument.

Let's put it this way. We should have done more, and not doing so leaves us with more holes now. Surely we can all agree on that simple fact.
Truth is we have no idea how Monti is going to do things. I’m guessing pretty aggressive with the players they think will fit. But we don’t really know if they plan to keep Murray(I think he gets another year).

It should be fun to see the second year plan after cutting down to the bone. The coaching staff didn’t seem overwhelmed for as crazy young and the first time at their position.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Has there EVER been a FA period that walks away with 4-6 starters?
No idea. Usually big free agent money is a waste but this team should be able to find starters pretty easy with low talent on D for sure.

But between free agency, draft and trades. We should be able to improve a lot next year. Including improvement to our rookie coaches, GM, and scouting.

The wins were not there this last year but the way they played and battled it was refreshing from Cadbury and Kiem

I think it’s going to be fun to watch this off-season.

Last edited:

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
This is a terrible argument. We are fans. Knowledgeable? Some. But still fans. We don’t possess the information, team, experience, and knowledge that a professional GM does. To hold fans to that benchmark is stupid.

If your argument is that there were zero FAs for monti to pursue last year, that argument is equally stupid. I don’t need to possess a professional GM’s knowledge and resources to know that’s false.
Agree but they also needed to have cap space to make a decision on Murray.

Last edited:

Rookie
Reaction score

Texans pick for Crosby if they don’t hire Pierce?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

Texans pick for Crosby if they don’t hire Pierce?
Nah... Maxx is badass .... But I don't think I want a player who feels entitled to choose his own boss

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more with your point one, and based on that, we can't conclude that MONTI did not, in fact, target FAs last offseason that he viewed as longer-term building blocks but was unable to reach agreement.
You’re absolutely right. But what’s monti’s job? To acquire talent and build a team. So I’m not going to give him credit for trying and failing. He’s paid to succeed.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So your argument is that he actually tried to do his job but failed? That makes it worse lol

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Truth is we have no idea how Monti is going to do things. I’m guessing pretty aggressive with the players they think will fit. But we don’t really know if they plan to keep Murray(I think he gets another year).

It should be fun to see the second year plan after cutting down to the bone. The coaching staff didn’t seem overwhelmed for as crazy young and the first time at their position.
Agreed with all. I don't think he'll be aggressive enough but he may surprise us. Either way, we're in for an exciting offseason.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen