A Can’t Lose Scenario

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Bidwill is a Scrooge and won’t allow the team to accumulate more picks. He’s not about to pay the money needed to buy new bic pens it will require to sign the contracts. Just kidding! If the Cardinals don’t get Marvin Harrison, I hope it’s because someone in front of them drafts him and not because they pass on him. Merry Christmas fellow Card fans!
Picks are much cheaper than free agents.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
How about this crazy scenario?
The Bears select MHJ.
We select Williams and trade Kyler to one of the qb hungry teams for their 1st round pick.
We’ll have already added to the roster through free agency ( wr, guard). With Atlanta’s or Vegas pick we get our d-lineman. With the Texans pick we get our 2nd wr.
Atlanta or the Raiders get a qb while holding on to their draft capital.

I’m putting my hard hat on as you are reading this.
Contract makes this impractical.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
With all the “tampering” rules the NFL has I was wondering. Once the season is over, can negotiations start on pick trading, or is there a time they can start draft talk?

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Living in Chicago the heat has let up on the Bears. Williams will be the number one pick. That’s when franchise qb’s get drafted. I truly believe the Bears trade down. Then we are in the drivers seat.
Washington and Patriots appear to taking a qb. But what if the Bears trade down to #3? With us sitting at 2, what do we do? Harrison is sitting there but a plethora of draft picks would be available in a trade with the team sitting at 4.
Sacrifice the chance of drafting MHJ to acquire more picks?
I would rather move down, miss on MJH and add picks. At this juncture, the team is not in a position to grab Harrison when they can build out the team with additional picks over the next two drafts.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would rather move down, miss on MJH and add picks. At this juncture, the team is not in a position to grab Harrison when they can build out the team with additional picks over the next two drafts.
Can’t really argue that view except how many rookies can you insert in the lineup at one time?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That is a poverty franchise mindset to me: quantity over quality. You absolutely need high-end talent on a roster and we have maybe one right now? We already have a ton of picks and not nearly all of them will make the roster. Sure, you can go with the poke and hope strategy, hoping you find greatness later in the draft. Why go all in on that approach when you already have another 1st and multiple picks in the top 100? At a certain point you need top talent and not just tons of picks.

Cap Space and Draft Picks do not win championships. Sheesh, I feel I need to make another jersey!

But, also, I want to wish you a Merry Christmas, @cardpa. I'm arguing the point and not trying to single you out on this find holiday :)

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That is a poverty franchise mindset to me: quantity over quality. You absolutely need high-end talent on a roster and we have maybe one right now? We already have a ton of picks and not nearly all of them will make the roster. Sure, you can go with the poke and hope strategy, hoping you find greatness later in the draft. Why go all in on that approach when you already have another 1st and multiple picks in the top 100? At a certain point you need top talent and not just tons of picks.

Cap Space and Draft Picks do not win championships. Sheesh, I feel I need to make another jersey!

But, also, I want to wish you a Merry Christmas, @cardpa. I'm arguing the point and not trying to single you out on this find holiday :)
As bad as Murray looks, look at who he is throwing to and ask yourself, what should actually be expected of this offense?

The Cardinals absolutely need some top in end talent, but I do think that you're overrating the gulf between MHJ and Nabers or Odunze, who both have legit #1 WR vibes.

Stout

Reaction score
As bad as Murray looks, look at who he is throwing to and ask yourself, what should actually be expected of this offense?

The Cardinals absolutely need some top in end talent, but I do think that you're overrating the gulf between MHJ and Nabers or Odunze, who both have legit #1 WR vibes.
I may be, but there is a definite talent gap there in evaluating them as prospects. I just want us to get the most sure thing at a top talent, and that is clearly MHJ, unless you're looking at QB prospects, and even then, it's still probably MHJ. Just the idea of Monti trying to be the smartest guy in the room, trying to have his cake and eat it too, get top talent and "a haul," is worrisome, after the blunders he's suffered. Just do the smart thing, stay put and take the top talent, and be content with the many draft picks we still have at the top of the draft.

If we were bereft of high picks, I would perhaps have a different mindset. We have how many picks in the top hundo already?

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
Trading down to gather extra picks is fine, like 1 out of every 5-6 yrs. You can’t keep (intentionally) mussing out on generational talents and expect to win.

We could have had (should have had) Terrell Suggs and AP on the 2008 team. Our only losses would have been Calvin pace, skillet hands, and Levi brown…. If we did, 2009 would be our trophy. Maybe even 10 and/or 11 too.

If MHJ is on the board, stop trying to be cute and take him.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I may be, but there is a definite talent gap there in evaluating them as prospects. I just want us to get the most sure thing at a top talent, and that is clearly MHJ, unless you're looking at QB prospects, and even then, it's still probably MHJ. Just the idea of Monti trying to be the smartest guy in the room, trying to have his cake and eat it too, get top talent and "a haul," is worrisome, after the blunders he's suffered. Just do the smart thing, stay put and take the top talent, and be content with the many draft picks we still have at the top of the draft.

If we were bereft of high picks, I would perhaps have a different mindset. We have how many picks in the top hundo already?
AJ Green was considered a more sure thing that Julio Jones.

Stout

Reaction score
AJ Green was considered a more sure thing that Julio Jones.
You can extend that logic all throughout the draft. By your logic, all picks can be considered equal. Heck, extend the logic and you can find HOFers late in the draft. What you just posted means nothing in the MHJ debate. That there has to be a debate is silly to me. If you can't admit he's the top WR talent in the draft, I got nothing for you.

speedy

the medic
Reaction score
What pisses me off the most about the 2003 draft isn’t Calvin or Bryant, but the fact “someone” in the cardinal organization decided “F Terrell” enough that they pulled the trigger on that trade. Emotionally driven decision making.

That’s probably a big factor in why this franchise has sucked so bad for a century.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You can extend that logic all throughout the draft. By your logic, all picks can be considered equal. Heck, extend the logic and you can find HOFers late in the draft. What you just posted means nothing in the MHJ debate. That there has to be a debate is silly to me. If you can't admit he's the top WR talent in the draft, I got nothing for you.
No, I'm just demonstrated that the human element can create mistakes.

Malik Nabers put up better numbers in a better conference than MHJ. Odunze put up similar numbers to Nabers while also sharing touches with Polk and McMillan who are pretty good receivers in their own right.

This process is all so subjective that to make any definitive claim is foolishness. If you told me that I could get Nabers and a package of quality picks I wouldn't be mad.

Stout

Reaction score
No, I'm just demonstrated that the human element can create mistakes.

Malik Nabers put up better numbers in a better conference than MHJ. Odunze put up similar numbers to Nabers while also sharing touches with Polk and McMillan who are pretty good receivers in their own right.

This process is all so subjective that to make any definitive claim is foolishness. If you told me that I could get Nabers and a package of quality picks I wouldn't be mad.
MHJ is the best WR prospect in this draft. Not a slight on the other WRs in what appears to be a good crop. From what I'm reading, you don't think MHJ is the best WR prospect in this draft. Or you're being weirdly evasive about admitting as much.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison