Cards sign OL Hjalte Froholdt

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, how good is the second-highest-graded OL on a 1-6 team?

I like to think of it like this:

(1) where would he rank as the starter on a playoff team?
(2) where does he rank among the other starters at his position?

It is hard to evaluate OL play as a layman and from the outside. Extremely hard. That said, I think Froholdt could be the 5th best OL on a playoff team, and he's among the bottom third of starters at his position.

There are places we're much, much worse. Center is alongside TE for me a position that's difficult to scout and get value from with a high pick. There are other problems to focus on.

For example, the absolute zeroes who have been playing to Froholdt's immediate left.
He ranks 18th in the league...

I think he would rank 4th best on a high quality OL. Right now he ranks 2nd. That is not on him. That is on the rest of the starting OL.

Not pretending to be an NFL level expert. But I do have years of following NFL, years of working in media industry covering NFL and about 12 years of actually playing OL myself, so I do have an opinion.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
somebody is leading the league in penalties again - killed a drive all by his lonesome - but to be fair that was one of the funniest false starts in recent NFL history - so I'll give him that

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:
Reaction score
somebody is leading the league in penalties again - killed a drive all by his lonesome - but to be fair that was one of the funniest false starts in recent NFL history - so I'll give him that

You must be registered for see images attach
I was cracking up when the ref said false start on everyone but the center lol. I also thought more ammo for BGT. :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was cracking up when the ref said false start on everyone but the center lol. I also thought more ammo for BGT. :)
Honestly I’ll take less than one penalty per game average at this point. He’s not perfect but he’s managed to keep the center of the line from being collapsed on him like was happening regularly before. His snaps in SG are consistent. He’s definitely been an upgrade and I hope they re-sign him.

Reaction score
Honestly I’ll take less than one penalty per game average at this point. He’s not perfect but he’s managed to keep the center of the line from being collapsed on him like was happening regularly before. His snaps in SG are consistent. He’s definitely been an upgrade and I hope they re-sign him.
Don't get me wrong. I really like Froholdt & have been one of his supporters. I hope they re-sign him as well.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score

He's been durable too. Super important for your C.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Harry, you took sides since we first signed him. :)
Absolutely did and he has admittedly been better than expected. That said he’s been walked back into the QB several times, he’s been fooled by some stunts and made a few unnecessary penalties. He’s far from mastering line calls. Overall he’s exceeded by my expectations but he is not, as of yet, a top center. He has displayed good agility so there is more potential than I anticipated. Maybe an off-season weight room push could move him forward.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
Absolutely did and he has admittedly been better than expected. That said he’s been walked back into the QB several times, he’s been fooled by some stunts and made a few unnecessary penalties. He’s far from mastering line calls. Overall he’s exceeded by my expectations but he is not, as of yet, a top center. He has displayed good agility so there is more potential than I anticipated. Maybe an off-season weight room push could move him forward.
Don't forget forgetting what the snap count was - lol - twice!!! Which they don't even penalize him for

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
He has been ok, but we need upgrades all along the OL. We need quality starters not average and below average starters. We have 3 OL in the top 15 OL for penalties. That is not acceptable.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Definition of a guy who can be upgraded, but also is not a problem. I wouldn't pass on a young C option in the draft because of Fro, but it isn't a top priority either.
Definitely isn't the top priority on the line--LG or even LT will be the priority there. Oof, our OL is in trouble.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

He already has a contract for 2024.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

His shortcoming is experience, certainly not the weight room.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Definitely isn't the top priority on the line--LG or even LT will be the priority there. Oof, our OL is in trouble.
LT? Am I weird for thinking it’s the only position on our current active offensive roster that we have 2 legit starters at and then there’s Beachum too.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92