Can This Roster Be Playoff Level in a Year?

CT CARDSFAN

Veteran
Reaction score
My offseason program:
Free Agents: Conner Williams LOG 6'5" 312, 26yrs, 5 years @ $68,000,000/ $13.6per
I want a seasoned LG to be the OL leader.
Michael Davis, CB, 6'2" 195, 28yrs, 4 years @ $36,000,000/$9.0per
Christian Wilkins, DT, 6'4", 310, 28yrs, 4 years @ $80,000,000/$20per
Draft Before Trading Out of 1st pick:
#1 Olu Fashanu, Best pass pro blocking OT in the draft, have to protect Murray.
#1 Rome Odunze, WR, A Bolden with speed and great hands.
#2 Cooper DeJean, S/CB Would be a starting safety with CB instincts and experience.
#3 Mekhi Wingo, DT, Good Penetrator
#3 Dontay Corleone, DT
#3 Christian Mahogany, OG
#4 Raheim Sanders, RB
#4 Max Melton, CB
Trade or release DJ Humphries and Zack Ertz.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Agree to an extent but also disagree on Kyler.

This team can't pay Kyler's contract and try to build a roster around him (currently void of talent) if he isn't playing like a franchise QB.

Kyler has to be VERY good or this doesn't work and you need to draft a QB and start over.

We're not "void of talent." We are not going into the 2024 offseason with Kyler + nothing.

Above average players - Conner, McBride, (Wilson), (PJJ)
Above replacement-level players - Rondale Moore, the Captain, Froholdt, Hernandez

That's a starting offense. The best argument for building the offense this offseason is that it's maybe closer to being an above-average unit with a couple high-profile pieces. That's really the assumption that we have to proof out.

The defense is extremely bad, and almost completely bereft of above-average players at impact positions and replacement-level players anywhere else.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This team can't pay Kyler's contract and try to build a roster around him (currently void of talent) if he isn't playing like a franchise QB.
This just seems like you have very low expectations on Monti to build a competent roster. He absolutely can. I assume that’s what he was hired for.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This just seems like you have very low expectations on Monti to build a competent roster. He absolutely can. I assume that’s what he was hired for.
The entire league is designed to have every team finish 9-8 or 8-9. Monti worked hard to build our roster that will finish 4-13. Inertia alone -- benign neglect -- would buoy us up to 7-10 next season even if Kyler is, like, Gardner Minshew or Derek Carr.

You have to work really hard to be as bad as we're being this season.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the Eagles went from 4-11-1 to 9-8 in a season, making the playoffs

they didnt sign a single high priced FA -- but signed many "average" players to 1 year deals

their draft was good -- DeVonta Smith, WR Alabama (who was good as a rookie) , Landon Dickerson became a starting guard for them in the middle of the season --- but not spectacular

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This time next year? I hope to be around .500 or a couple games above it with dreams of a wildcard
I just hope I'm alive this time next year :devil: As to the Cardinals, I don't have a clue as to what they will look like then (my flux capacitor is on the blink). They have so many things to fix (and they ARE the Cardinals) I have to keep my Darksider lenses on. I will be rejoicing if your hope becomes a reality next season.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score

they didnt sign a single high priced FA -- but signed many "average" players to 1 year deals

their draft was good -- DeVonta Smith, WR Alabama (who was good as a rookie) , Landon Dickerson became a starting guard for them in the middle of the season --- but not spectacular
So all we have to do is match the performance of one of the best and most experienced front offices in the NFL, who had a roster the core of which played in the Super Bowl four years before and was in the playoffs the year prior to the 4-win season?

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Comparing our situation to that of the Eagles is comparing apples to math.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
So all we have to do is match the performance of one of the best and most experienced front offices in the NFL, who had a roster the core of which played in the Super Bowl four years before and was in the playoffs the year prior to the 4-win season?
the Eagles had a grand total of ......... 3 starters and Dallas Goedert left from that SB team by 2021

Kelce, Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox -- three really good players no doubt -- but that wasnt a solid 2020 roster held back by Carson Wentz

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Eagles had a grand total of ......... 3 starters and Dallas Goedert left from that SB team by 2021

Kelce, Lane Johnson, Fletcher Cox -- three really good players no doubt -- but that wasnt a solid 2020 roster held back by Carson Wentz
How many of those players were on the 2019 playoff team? Or the 2018 playoff team?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You missed the point.
No, I fully got the point. You just wanted me to agree with you.

It’s possible to create a talented team even with the limitations Kyler has. If you don’t agree, then you just have low expectations of Monti. Kyler possibly being bad does not & should not stop Monti from having good drafts or making good signings.

You have repeated “If Kyler” in multiple threads. We get it. Most valuable/impactful guy on the team, but he’s not the only guy on the team. Unlike Keim, Monti better not see it as such, either.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think year 2, it’s reasonable to expect getting in them or at least barely falling short.

Year 3 is when a team should really be ready to compete IN the playoffs, IMO.
It is reasonable, yes, which is why I haven't been happy to see we haven't been setting up to really do so.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn