Gannon roasted for pep talk

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I've seen coaches hold out who is starting at QB literally dozens of times. That is the dumbest criticism to date.

Gannon is a little awkward sure, but he is also very confident. Awkwardness becomes a problem when people aren't confident.
Gannon, to me, is like Mike McDaniel. Comes across a little awkward and nerdy, with some naivety thrown in.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
That's why you sign them before they hit free agency...retention of improving personnel is the key to long term success. We train them up for other teams to use. That's doing it wrong!

On top of that, people are kvetching at the price for guys like Murphy and Allen - inevitably in 2 years those deals will seem much more reasonable, just like Kirk.
Murphy himself said he wasn't resigning here and I wouldn't be surprised if Allen felt the same way.

The honest truth is that we all picked a really #birdshitty team to support who has players fleeing the nest every time they hit a rough patch, because any time the Cardinals have been a winning team, this isn't a problem.

But @BritCard is 100% correct in that mid players like Murphy and Allen are available every offseason, and that building your team through free agency is the best way to build a team that isn't competitive long term.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Murphy himself said he wasn't resigning here and I wouldn't be surprised if Allen felt the same way.
Seems like a problem, no?
any time the Cardinals have been a winning team, this isn't a problem.
Huh? You're saying the Cards retain players when they're winning? When?
But @BritCard is 100% correct in that mid players like Murphy and Allen are available every offseason, and that building your team through free agency is the best way to build a team that isn't competitive long term.
As I mentioned, these are the players you sign BEFORE they become expensive and hit FA. You do this specifically so you AREN'T forced to sign these players at a premium in FA.

I think we're all aware of this, at least I hope so.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

The honest truth is that we all picked a really #birdshitty team to support who has players fleeing the nest every time they hit a rough patch, because any time the Cardinals have been a winning team, this isn't a problem.

On his way out the door, Allen mentioned continuing to work in VJ's defense, as he thought it was a good fit for him...that's what helped him sign in Denver. There may be more to it, for sure, but I definitely recall him talking about Vance.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I've seen coaches hold out who is starting at QB literally dozens of times. That is the dumbest criticism to date.

Gannon is a little awkward sure, but he is also very confident. Awkwardness becomes a problem when people aren't confident.
Eh awkwardness is also sometimes magnified by confidence . . . if the confidence ends up being unfounded.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Gannon, to me, is like Mike McDaniel. Comes across a little awkward and nerdy, with some naivety thrown in.
People are criticizing a sound byte. If they listened to the speech in its entirety they would have a different opinion I would think? The first bit about the bus was pretty cringe though. ;)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FWIW, I Philly writer defended Gannon...saying Siriani speaks similarly and got roasted for it early on, but now nobody is laughing.
Ron, this is straight facts. Anyone can pull it up. It was a straight laff-riot, and had the town thinking he was way above his head. I don't like Gannon. I'm not going to sugarcoat it, but I'm not about to murder him for being a doofus. Can he coach this team, up and make us a respectable organization? That's what matters most.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah… Calais Campbell, Karlos Dansby, Anquan Boldin, Rolle, Reddick and Kirk, amongst others all say hello.

Hell… Kurt Warner had to go to SF just to get a fair contract offer from the Cards AFTER taking us to the Super Bowl.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It is. Hopefully Bidwill listens to Ossenfort on some of the improvements and the player survey is taken seriously.
The Arians years.
As I mentioned, these are the players you sign BEFORE they become expensive and hit FA. You do this specifically so you AREN'T forced to sign these players at a premium in FA.
Kind of hard to criticize Ossenfort for things that happened before he was GM....
I think we're all aware of this, at least I hope so.
Absolutely. I was calling for Allen to be re-signed after 2021 season.

Reactions: PJ1

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Absolutely. I was calling for Allen to be re-signed after 2021 season.
I think this is the type of thing that you criticized for most. You wanted him resigned and argued he was a good player. But now that he’s not here you classify him as not very good or easily replaceable.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Yeah… Calais Campbell, Karlos Dansby, Anquan Boldin, Rolle, Reddick and Kirk, amongst others all say hello.

Hell… Kurt Warner had to go to SF just to get a fair contract offer from the Cards AFTER taking us to the Super Bowl.
Yeah, that comment threw me off big time...post 97, we immediately let Jamir Miller etc leave, and we had tons of good players that didn't stick around after our other "success".

Players leave when we're bad, players leave when we're good, whether we want them to or not. If that isn't an indictment of the organization, I don't know what is.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that comment threw me off big time...post 97, we immediately let Jamir Miller etc leave, and we had tons of good players that didn't stick around after our other "success".
I woulda thrown Jamir in there but that was old Bidwill in charge. Didn’t want to give chance for a response that would ignore all the others during more current times.
Players leave when we're bad, players leave when we're good, whether we want them to or not. If that isn't an indictment of the organization, I don't know what is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They do this routinely to those on this board that support the positive aspects of being a fan. And their buddies who just love to stir the pot of negativity come their rescue as if they cannot fight their own battles. IMO, there is a time and place for all the negativity. One week before the season opener when we’re 0-0 isn’t that time, especially when you have an entirely new FO and coaching staff that’s trying to build something long lasting, which is something I’ve never seen even attempted in the long history of Bidwill ownership. Trust me, no one on this board has been more critical of the Bidwill family ownership than I have. But, I shouldn’t be condemned for being loyal to my team. I’ve early on supported every HC the Cardinals have ever had until it was obvious that changes needed to be made. IMO, that’s what a fan base should do regardless of whether that said franchise has been a poor one.
I state reasons and facts to back my claim that there has been very little done this offseason to be excited for, and that the long term plan of tanking in 2023 and building through the draft has a narrow path to success.

You argue that I don't want the team to win because I want to be right.

You can believe what you want to believe, but making up a fairy tale that posters on here would revel in a 0-17 season is just you compensating for a lack any other method of debate because Monti and Gannon have done very little to provide you ammunition to use.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
In a normal offseason, I would agree with you. This is not a normal offseason though. Flexibility is what they are going for.
Well, we don't have to sign them to just 1-year nothing burger deals. Signing players like this for the future actually GIVES you flexibility. You lose flexibility when you have so many gaping holes to fill that you absolutely have to fill them first. By having solid vets already in place, it allows you to focus on talent v position in the draft and be in a much stronger position entering the next FA position.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, we don't have to sign them to just 1-year nothing burger deals. Signing players like this for the future actually GIVES you flexibility. You lose flexibility when you have so many gaping holes to fill that you absolutely have to fill them first. By having solid vets already in place, it allows you to focus on talent v position in the draft and be in a much stronger position entering the next FA position.
I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying here. I just think that this is the move/plan when your roster is closer to competing than ours is right now.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I state reasons and facts to back my claim that there has been very little done this offseason to be excited for, and that the long term plan of tanking in 2023 and building through the draft has a narrow path to success.

You argue that I don't want the team to win because I want to be right.

You can believe what you want to believe, but making up a fairy tale that posters on here would revel in a 0-17 season is just you compensating for a lack any other method of debate because Monti and Gannon have done very little to provide you ammunition to use.
Considering that not a single game has been played in 2023, exactly how have already provided us with facts??? MOJG could have found a cure for cancer this offseason & you would have found a means to criticize them. We’ll have to agree to disagree on this matter.

Reaction score
To be fair, that’s not true. The folks that make negative observations of the cardinals do not make demands that those that are positive stop making positive comments. That’s not a both sides scenario.
Is ridiculing a positive post any different than saying to stop posting positive posts? Asking for a friend. ;)

Not saying you did Ouchie. Just curious is all. Because it happens a lot.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know, it bugs me too, but whenever I hear this on American TV they say "I could care less" so I translated it.

One of the few grammar ticks that make me tick a bit each time I read or hear it. Saying "I could care less" conveys the, literal, opposite meaning that a person is trying to convey... it means you DO care. The incorrect usage is so prevalent that it's beyond correcting.

Another is the misuse of "literal/literally"... please people, don't say "literally" unless you "literally" mean it. If something "literally" killed you, you better literally be dead.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
One of the few grammar ticks that make me tick a bit each time I read or hear it. Saying "I could care less" conveys the, literal, opposite meaning that a person is trying to convey... it means you DO care. The incorrect usage is so prevalent that it's beyond correcting.

Another is the misuse of "literal/literally"... please people, don't say "literally" unless you "literally" mean it. If something "literally" killed you, you better literally be dea
'I personally.' (what's more personal than 'I'.)

'Second of all.' (followed by a third point.)

'Originally born.' (where else were you brought into this world?)

Sentences that end in 'also' instead of 'too.'

'Irregardless.' (which is the opposite of regardless.)

'Utilize' instead of 'use.'

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
He's a good, but not great player.

He's alright, but not a game changer by any means.
You do realize that we have a roster full of below average starters? We're never getting out of the cellar until we have more good to great players. Both Allen/Murphy are growing and improving. These are the kind of guys that good orgs retain.

You can't just keep drafting replacements without retaining some of your talent and expect to win.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92