10 thoughts - training camp

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From a talent standpoint? It's absolutely debatable. We did closer to treading water--on purpose, because Monti didn't trust the scouting department, many here have asserted.
I didn't say from a talent standpoint on purpose.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This team is demonstrably better in their front office, which in turn should make them better long term. Hell, it might even short term, but I wouldn't bet on it.

If you want a specific answer... they should be demonstrably better at the RT position.
...we hope. I mean, their first season hasn't even started yet. It could all end in absolute disaster and we can be having the discussion to fire them all in a couple seasons. Let's hope not!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Based on Drew Petzings success as a play caller sometimes during preseason games?
Based on what we were prior without Drew, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...we hope. I mean, their first season hasn't even started yet. It could all end in absolute disaster and we can be having the discussion to fire them all in a couple seasons. Let's hope not!
It very well could be, but I doubt it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's one of the big problems with this offseason, though. We didn't get demonstrably better in the talent department. A big, big problem as our roster was destitute of talent. Monti perhaps made the talent problem worse.
But then I go back to the expectation. Most teams do not get demonstrably better immediately in the year they decide to clean house. (talent wise) It could happen with a rich owner, sure. We don't have one of those.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Overall, this team HAS improved from last year. I don't even think that it should be up for debate.

But then I go back to the expectation. Most teams do not get demonstrably better immediately in the year they decide to clean house. (talent wise) It could happen with a rich owner, sure. We don't have one of those.
Sometimes your posts are like those videos when people have their Alexas talk to each other.

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Based on what we were prior without Drew, but I'm sure you knew what I meant.

Our offense ranked by yards per game over the past few years.
2019: 21st
2020: 6th
2021: 9th
2022: 22nd

2018: 32nd

Last year was bad, just remember we haven't hit rock bottom yet. There are offenses even worse than Kliff's; 2018 wasn't that long ago.

The way I see it is our new offense seems to be built around the running game and I'm not entirely confident in our current rosters ability be successful with that approach. That combined with Kyler being out makes worry the offense will be painful to watch for the first part of this year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our offense ranked by yards per game over the past few years.
2019: 21st
2020: 6th
2021: 9th
2022: 22nd

2018: 32nd

Last year was bad, just remember we haven't hit rock bottom yet. There are offenses even worse than Kliff's; 2018 wasn't that long ago.

The way I see it is our new offense seems to be built around the running game and I'm not entirely confident in our current rosters ability be successful with that approach. That combined with Kyler being out makes worry the offense will be painful to watch for the first part of this year.
Sure there are. I wouldn't even be surprised if we are near the very bottom with Kyler out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes your posts are like those videos when people have their Alexas talk to each other.
Not that surprising you can't/ (or more likely) choose to not see the nuance that I posted. Our TEAM as the entire organization is better than it was after our last game of the season, even if the talent on the field is marginally worse than it was after our last game.

But you keep on being you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I had so little faith in Keim, that nearly anyone with a pulse could have done better. Throw in the fact that I have been somewhat impressed with how this offseason has gone after the hiring of Monti/Gannon...
Like Monti's imitation of Keim's 2022 FA class?

Monti can be better than Keim by not having Keim's personality, but that doesn't result in wins and losses. Overseeing a loser as a nicer person is better than overseeing a loser as a jerk, but you are still overseeing a loser.

I can easily say that Monti comes off as a better person than Keim, but there has been little to make me believe he is a better GM. Not that he can't be, I have no clue, but no significant evidence has been provided to this point.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I also believe that our offensive playbook/scheme/play calling etc will be demonstrably better as well.

Ring the bells as you say.
Again, I have no idea how you can say this. In a year where Kliff had backup QBs playing 6 games and Kyler having his worst NFL season, Cardinals were 21st in points and 22nd in yards on offense.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Not that surprising you can't/ (or more likely) choose to not see the nuance that I posted. Our TEAM as the entire organization is better than it was after our last game of the season, even if the talent on the field is marginally worse than it was after our last game.

But you keep on being you.
You have me super confused as well. On one hand you are saying we are improved as a team, and then on the other hand you say most teams don't improve when they decide to clean house which we did.

Those are contradictory.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sure there are. I wouldn't even be surprised if we are near the very bottom with Kyler out.
So you said "I also believe that our offensive playbook/scheme/play calling etc will be demonstrably better as well." But you think that we will also have an offense near the bottom of the NFL. So better expect in actually measurable categories?

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you said "I also believe that our offensive playbook/scheme/play calling etc will be demonstrably better as well." But you think that we will also have an offense near the bottom of the NFL. So better expect in actually measurable categories?
I see us rolling out Colt McCoy or Clayton Tune out there instead of Kyler. So yes, both can be true.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have me super confused as well. On one hand you are saying we are improved as a team, and then on the other hand you say most teams don't improve when they decide to clean house which we did.

Those are contradictory.
Except they aren't when you read what I said and take it at face value.

Our TEAM as the entire organization is better than it was after our last game of the season, even if the talent on the field is marginally worse than it was after our last game.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I had so little faith in Keim, that nearly anyone with a pulse could have done better. Throw in the fact that I have been somewhat impressed with how this offseason has gone after the hiring of Monti/Gannon...
Huh. Well I don’t think you can find anyone who thought less of keim than me, but all I’ve seen from the front office is young talent walking, some fringy-tweaky at best FA acquisitions, a nice couple of trades in the draft, an offseason F up that caused us to lose draft capital and a bunch of draft picks about whom we know very little at present.

I get keim created a low bar. But nothing I’ve seen has been demonstrably better . . . yet. In other words, I cannot demonstrate any definitive, data-based improvement by that team.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh. Well I don’t think you can find anyone who thought less of keim than me, but all I’ve seen from the front office is young talent walking, some fringy-tweaky at best FA acquisitions, a nice couple of trades in the draft, an offseason F up that caused us to lose draft capital and a bunch of draft picks about whom we know very little at present.

I get keim created a low bar. But nothing I’ve seen has been demonstrably better . . . yet. In other words, I cannot demonstrate any definitive, data-based improvement by that team.
Except that just about everyone connected to the team, players, staff, coaches etc are saying how much better, hell just about everything is. We can either take them at their word, or say that it is 'coachspeak.' I'm choosing the former.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Except they aren't when you read what I said and take it at face value.

Our TEAM as the entire organization is better than it was after our last game of the season, even if the talent on the field is marginally worse than it was after our last game.
Different and unproven doesn't always equate to better. We are worse in talent. Unproven in GM, HC and OC.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dappy1