Did a potential deal for Hopkins unravel?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Now it's starting to make sense of why Houston let us have Hopkins so cheap, I'm glad he's gone!
Yep - they're really showing us and him by hosting him and considering to resign him!

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
That's not what any report has said. Every report said that no team came close to meeting the Cardinals ask.
Yes. But to me that means that Monti was asking for too much, not that DHop was worth nothing. If Hop were worth nothing, there wouldn't have been any inquiries. Breer gave multiple franchises who inquired.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
If the draft compensation is only like a 5th round pick, it's not worth it.

All reports now indicate no one wants Hopkins at a high cap number.
It’s not compensation, it’s a trade. Convert most of the salary to bonus. Cards pay it. Acquiring team pays only minimum salary & gives Cards second round pick.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes. But to me that means that Monti was asking for too much, not that DHop was worth nothing.
LOL all current reports is that no one wants Hopkins for even close to his current demands.
If Hop were worth nothing, there wouldn't have been any inquiries. Breer gave multiple franchises who inquired.
Even elite special teamers get interest in the trade market. Not a very strong argument.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
It’s not compensation, it’s a trade. Convert most of the salary to bonus. Cards pay it. Acquiring team pays only minimum salary & gives Cards second round pick.
Fantasy land.

He's a 31 year old receiver who has missed parts of two seasons. I think many of us wanted this scenario to be true. I know I did.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Fantasy land.

He's a 31 year old receiver who has missed parts of two seasons. I think many of us wanted this scenario to be true. I know I did.
You are saying that you know for a fact that even if the Cards paid some/most of his salary, there wouldn't be interest?

Hmm, I think I'll take Harry's opinion on this one.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Context clues from my reply would suggest that I was saying a second round pick was fantasyland.
Yes - you mentioned that. A second round pick was universally considered in the range of possibilities throughout the discussion. If the Cards were willing to eat a portion of the contract as well, you're telling me there is NO POSSIBILITY that anyone would have given a second or similar compensation?

You don't think there is any chance that Monti said "were not taking less than a 2nd, and not making any salary concessions?
Appeal to authority.
Hmm...on one hand, you have a guy who actually talks to people and knows things, on the other, one who speculates and has no connections.

It's not just who he knows, it's what he knows!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Yes - you mentioned that. A second round pick was universally considered in the range of possibilities throughout the discussion. If the Cards were willing to eat a portion of the contract as well, you're telling me there is NO POSSIBILITY that anyone would have given a second or similar compensation?
I don't know if there was. That's full on speculation. I would heavily doubt it.
You don't think there is any chance that Monti said "were not taking less than a 2nd, and not making any salary concessions?
Again speculation. I'm not going to bash Monti based on pure speculation.
Hmm...on one hand, you have a guy who actually talks to people and knows things, on the other, one who speculates and has no connections.
I'm not speculating. You are.
It's not just who he knows, it's what he knows!
Neato.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I don't know if there was. That's full on speculation. I would heavily doubt it.

Again speculation. I'm not going to bash Monti based on pure speculation.

I'm not speculating. You are.

Neato.
You seem to be forgetting that much of message board conversation is speculation - if you're not interested in hypotheticals or speculation, why are you responding on this thread?

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Kind of interesting that Dhop had his lowest average yards per catch of his career last year after coming back from suspension.

Part of that was poor QB play, but everybody here knows that PP2 dropped off a little too after he was busted for PEDs.

Sure, it's a little sour grapes/jilted suitor, but is it really that surprising teams aren't falling all over each other to sign him, or that we couldn't get a deal done? He's kind of a risk.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Further - what is the defense of a process that ends up with a top 10 WR being RELEASED WITHOUT ANY COMPENSATION? Are we just going to act like that was part of the plan?

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You seem to be forgetting that much of message board conversation is speculation - if you're not interested in hypotheticals or speculation, why are you responding on this thread?
LOL Ok chief.

We do know what is actually being reported and the other parts of an offer of a second have never been reported by anyone. Even before the draft there were reports of teams offering only day three picks.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard