The Little Mermaid (live action reimagining)

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think all the uproar about her race is silly. I also think that many who claim they are not racists because they want a white actor playing Ariel are simply lying to themselves.

Will she look different from the cartoon? Yes, because SHE IS A REAL PERSON.

I just think there are way more things people (ahem, white people, that is) could be all up in arms about.

yes, if you are white and wanted your favorite cartoon being made into a live action movie to be an actress who looks similar to the cartoon version, you must be racist. This is a super clever take.

I've seen specific, real life people who do not have an ounce of racism in them say they wished it was a red headed girl like the cartoon but you guys are welcome to keep this stuff up.

If the cartoon was a black girl and the movie casted a white girl, this thread would look completely different. 100%.

I mean, are these people racist? https://www.scmp.com/news/world/uni...sian-american-group-slams-scarlett-johanssons

You must be registered for see images attach

Or is it only racism when white people say something?

No granted, I think only the internet is "up in arms" but I still think its silly to paint with broad brushes and just scream racism all the time over every little thing.

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
And to think that I nearly did that, if it wasn't for that dang Mr Limpet who had to but in and get all in my way.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Gotta admit, when I finally saw the trailer, I didn't think, "Oh, the Little Mermaid is black, that's weird." I thought, "Oh, that's right, the Little Mermaid is black, which has caused a bunch of morons to launch an outrage campaign on social media, that's a shame."

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Critical acclaim for literal rehashes of cartoons purely for profit makes me snicker and shake my head over the shakedown.

Apparently it's a different movie as well. An hour of added story.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I'd be surprised if the 32% downvotes were all on the issue of the star's skin color, so maybe the movie isn't that compelling overall. I don't whitelist, so I can't read rottentomatoes anymore, too bad.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Critical acclaim for literal rehashes of cartoons purely for profit makes me snicker and shake my head over the shakedown.

Movie critics are the best you can buy
There was a review embargo until this week IIRC. The people who have reviewed this already were those invited by Disney and thus...... expected to review in favor of Disney.

The proof will be in the audience score coming soon to a theater near you.

This is just another in a long line of female empowerment projects by Kathleen Kennedy at Disney. Let's see if all the men are made into sniveling wimps like they were in She-Hulk & Peter Pan & Wendy. Boy..... those were fun. :rolleyes:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
The proof will be in the audience score coming soon to a theater near you.

Yeah, because the lifeless dopes who won't watch and have nothing better to do than give an anonymous negative score because they were worked into a lather by the outrage machine will surely be representative of an actual audience and not representative of just how many drones can be whipped into a lather

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
So you wanted the Little Mermaid to be a boy?
Well..... it's an option I guess. That's not my concern really, but making all men hapless idiots or numskulls is quite a reversal. Let's see what the money says. Box office matters in most cases.

All the men have to be strong and the women weak and helpless.
No..... But I would say that the pendulum has swung wildly in the opposite direction. See Velma, and She-Hulk to see what I'm talking about. Then travel in to the other universes I mention below.
Yeah, because the lifeless dopes who won't watch and have nothing better to do than give an anonymous negative score because they were worked into a lather by the outrage machine will surely be representative of an actual audience and not representative of just how many drones can be whipped into a lather
It never goes well when you call your paying customer base names. See The Rings of Power and the Tolkien universe.

And I mean, there are quite a few Disney bombs recently that all share similar models no? Even with tried and true IP. Star Wars, Marvel, and even Peter Pan. This stuff seems to have a similar theme no? Meanwhile Mario Brothers just rakes in the dough.

Like I said up top. I look forward to the money telling the story. All of this is made to entertain and to gain profit. Let's see how that goes.

WaywardFan

Waywardier than before
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The original (and better) had Academy Award winning music from Alan Menken.

This one has this:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

‘The Little Mermaid’ Live-Action Film Modifies Song Lyrics To Include Consent​

“There are some lyric changes in ‘Kiss the Girl’ because people have gotten very sensitive about the idea that [Prince Eric] would, in any way, force himself on [Ariel],” Menken told Vanity Fair in an interview.

-------------------------------------------------

Wow. So, now "Go on and kiss the girl" when the girl really wants you to kiss her is considered "forcing yourself on the girl?" SMH. Man, what times are we living in?

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Well..... it's an option I guess. That's not my concern really, but making all men hapless idiots or numskulls is quite a reversal. Let's see what the money says. Box office matters in most cases.

No..... But I would say that the pendulum has swung wildly in the opposite direction. See Velma, and She-Hulk to see what I'm talking about. Then travel in to the other universes I mention below.

It never goes well when you call your paying customer base names. See The Rings of Power and the Tolkien universe.

And I mean, there are quite a few Disney bombs recently that all share similar models no? Even with tried and true IP. Star Wars, Marvel, and even Peter Pan. This stuff seems to have a similar theme no? Meanwhile Mario Brothers just rakes in the dough.

Like I said up top. I look forward to the money telling the story. All of this is made to entertain and to gain profit. Let's see how that goes.

Post Covid is anyone's guess on movies right now. There will be plenty of great movies on both sides of the aisle that will bomb.

I had a similar thought, there used to be so many women in the kitchen and cleaning house all day for centuries and millennia, but now there's so many in the workplace these last few decades. Now there's a thing called a house husband? The pendulum has swung too far.

When will the nightmare end?

Last edited:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Post Covid is anyone's guess on movies right now.

I had a similar thought, there used to be so many women in the kitchen and cleaning house all day for centuries and millennia, but now there's so many in the workplace in the past couple decades, the pendulum has swung too far.

When will it end?
I think you assume the worst of me here.

I will tell you that the movie 9 to 5 grossed over 100mm in 1980 and was the #2 movie at the box office that year beating out Private Benjamin (#6) and Coal miners daughter (#7). Empire Strikes back was #1 that year and if I remember correctly...... all featured very powerful females. Many in the lead role. And don't get me started about what Star trek has done in the area of female empowerment for decades now only to have it crushed by the bumbling idiocy of what Picard became on that streaming service.

I think if you challenged yourself to look deeper into this, you would find that strong female leads can exist in any time period but it takes good writers and good directors making good products.

What we seem to have today is the shoehorning of bad writing, sketchy ideology and solid source material. She-Hulk was an unmitigated disaster, so was the Rings of Power. Both took the source material and warped (rewrote it or reframed it) it to fit the preferred world view of the company making it. I mean..... write the source material? Is that so hard? that stuff works!

How do I know this? Disney told us they were doing it a few years back. And their agenda is not subtle, and so far, not what the paying customers want to see.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose