The Little Mermaid (live action reimagining)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's domestic haul was decent, but it's international haul was abysmal. Given the cost of the movie, marketing, and the theater cut it has to make somewhere around $800M to make a profit. If international doesn't hold up it's end (which happened very much so with all the other ***** live action remakes) it's not likely to make it.

Good.
The reasons anyone would ROOT for a movie like this to fail are beyond me.

Well, they aren’t beyond me. I know why some are doing it. Just can’t understand the hate in some people’s hearts that leads to them complaining about The Little Mermaid because a) she’s not white and b) she’s actually the hero of her own story.

Last edited:

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WTH? NYT wants the kink?

Looks like the movie has had a great opening weekend. It's halfway to breaking even at this point even with a poor opening outside of North America.

Only 22% kids is a problem as they usually make the mothers go see it again. Time will tell.....

With all of that being said..... the men are hapless idiots again.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Nope Eric is absolutely not helpless in the movie. He chases after her after she gets stolen by the sea witch and swims to the bottom of the ocean to spear Ursula before she can kill Ariel.

He then saves her again before she kills Ursula.

It's more of an equal battle

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope Eric is absolutely not helpless in the movie. He chases after her after she gets stolen by the sea witch and swims to the bottom of the ocean to spear Ursula before she can kill Ariel.

Spoilers!

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
My boys loved it. Packed theater. My wife said it was really good as well.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

‘The Little Mermaid’ Live-Action Film Modifies Song Lyrics To Include Consent​

“There are some lyric changes in ‘Kiss the Girl’ because people have gotten very sensitive about the idea that [Prince Eric] would, in any way, force himself on [Ariel],” Menken told Vanity Fair in an interview.

-------------------------------------------------

Wow. So, now "Go on and kiss the girl" when the girl really wants you to kiss her is considered "forcing yourself on the girl?" SMH. Man, what times are we living in?
Glad this is something about which you feel the need to complain. SMH. Man, what times are we living in?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
So you like the damsel in distress that needs a man to save the day?

100 years of Cinema, hundreds of years of literature wasn’t enough of that?
No. It should never change. Little girls should always be taught their place in life. SARCASM and DISGUST.

jf-08

Guy Smiley
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good to hear

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The reasons anyone would ROOT for a movie like this to fail are beyond me.

Well, they aren’t beyond me. I know why some are doing it. Just can’t understand the hate in some people’s hearts that leads to them complaining about The Little Mermaid because a) she’s not white and b) she’s actually the hero of her own story.
I don't think that specific poster wants it to fail for these reasons. Like me, I think he's tired of these "but we just want the money" reboots. I hope it fails so they stop doing this crap.

Stout

Reaction score
I root for all live action remakes to fail on principle. They're gross cash grabs and I want to see new IPs. Not retreads. It goes for most remakes, reimagines, etc. too.
My friend had a great point about this the other day. They already have base scripts for these and won't have to pay writers. I amended that because clearly they still need to do re-writes (more so with this one), but, yeah, it's another way to save money/screw writers.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Times when white people are horrified that every story isn’t about them anymore.
So now commenting on changes to the music (which needed no changes) has to do with race?

Do you even read what's posted or just come on the board to tag-team on replies with your brother? :shrug:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I don't think that specific poster wants it to fail for these reasons. Like me, I think he's tired of these "but we just want the money" reboots. I hope it fails so they stop doing this crap.
You act like this is the only choice you have. There are hundreds of thousands of books out there but you don’t read all of them.

You spend more time complaining about this stuff than actually doing something more productive and enjoyable.

Stout

Reaction score
You act like this is the only choice you have. There are hundreds of thousands of books out there but you don’t read all of them.

You spend more time complaining about this stuff than actually doing something more productive and enjoyable.
Not really; it's just a drop in the bucket of my time. I'd reflect it back and say you do more complaining about my complaining than much else.

It's true that I don't have to watch it, which doesn't mean I can't comment on these types of movies. I don't have to watch to be critical. I'm surprised that you, who pens movie scripts, wouldn't be more upset about Disney doing this and ripping writers off in the process, but to each their own.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Not really; it's just a drop in the bucket of my time. I'd reflect it back and say you do more complaining about my complaining than much else.

It's true that I don't have to watch it, which doesn't mean I can't comment on these types of movies. I don't have to watch to be critical. I'm surprised that you, who pens movie scripts, wouldn't be more upset about Disney doing this and ripping writers off in the process, but to each their own.
Come on. Are you kidding? Ripping writers off. You want to make something, write better. Beyond that, blame the audiences that go and pay millions for it.

You are so quick to criticize the artists and creators but ignore the real drivers, the people who pay money to consume content.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. Are you kidding? Ripping writers off. You want to make something, write better. Beyond that, blame the audiences that go and pay millions for it.

You are so quick to criticize the artists and creators but ignore the real drivers, the people who pay money to consume content.
That's definitely a huge part of the problem. Far too many people are just sheep buying whatever Disney (or other companies) put out there.

Stout

Reaction score

How am I criticizing the artists/creators? I'm literally saying the Big Mouse is ripping off writers by producing movies that need far, far less writers than an original movie. They need less writers even than standard remakes because much of this drek is just converting a cartoon script to a live script. The LM did more in their adaptation, but that hasn't been the norm. I am literally sticking up for the writers and that upsets you? *hardeyeroll* I can see how sticking up for writers would be anathema to you :sarcasm:

That said, I agree totally about blaming audiences that go see them. I very much wish they would stop, so Disney would stop. Alas, that looks unlikely.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The family enjoyed this. My wife and daughter loved it. It was refreshing to see the diversity in the theater and how many little girls of color whose eyes lit up. I found myself often looking at their expressions during the movie to see how they would react. It was awesome.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The family enjoyed this. My wife and daughter loved it. It was refreshing to see the diversity in the theater and how many little girls of color whose eyes lit up. I found myself often looking at their expressions during the movie to see how they would react. It was awesome.

This is what so many people are missing. Black people were hardly ever a leading character, a princess, and for so long usually in servitude roles or something similar, or worse.

When people start complaining that's it's becoming a problem, it really begs the question.

We are only seeing some of the first generations to experience such a thing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s the same poster who gets up in arms about all of this type of crap slung at geekdom movies with female leads or not catering to the letter of dork lore.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Times when white people are horrified that every story isn’t about them anymore.

To be fair everyone knows mermaids are white.

Remember the controversy over Jake Gylenhaal in Prince of Persia? remember how upset Republicans were that a white guy played an Iranian part? Oh wait that's wrong, they were upset that people complained a white guy played the role.

Remember how upset they were when Scarlett Johansson played the role written for an Asian person in Ghost in the Shell? Oh wait I got that wrong again they weren't upset she got the role, they were upset that anybody complained about it, white people should be able to play any role.

But they justify that too, we're not objecting to a black actress we're saying it should go to the most qualified person, and clearly she's not. Because she's black.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson